• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf/Sunrise to Release Original Gundam TV Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It's about time Gundam X came here. I'll definitely get that one (and probably ZZ too).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Cool and all, but all of 80s Sunrise BDs tend to be really DVNR'd, so it's not maximizing the use of the format. Luckily, stuff like Outlaw Star and Escaflowne come out perfect.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting. Hopefully if this works out the later series can get releases.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo

Escaflowne and Outlaw Star came out in the late 90s, I assume the reason why stuff from the 70s, when this came out, don't look good in HD is because the original film has been lost.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. I haven't had the chance to watch my Turn A Gundam DVDs yet, but their packaging is really nice. A lot nicer then I expected it to be.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising, I heard the first Gundam performed terribly when it came to the US.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
And in GLORIOUS 1080p!!

Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I plan on buying Turn A, ZZ, Victory and maybe X. It will be nice if they could release Zeta on BD.

I am not excited for Gundam 0079 being released on BD; that show is too old and ugly to be significantly enhanced by HD. But good for those who wanted that shown on BD.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Iit's nice to see Gundam X and Victory being licensed after so long, but since they didn't give Turn A a dub treatment I guess they won't bother with the others either.
Dunno whether I should be happy or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@walw6pK4Alo
Escaflowne and Outlaw Star came out in the late 90s, I assume the reason why stuff from the 70s, when this came out, don't look good in HD is because the original film has been lost.

While this should sound like a plausible reasoning, I don't accept it because other 16mm anime from the same era look just fine when they've not been degrained, like Urusei Yatsura. And Zeta and ZZ are definitely more expensive and newer anime than UY.

Also "original film has been lost" doesn't happen often. Maybe for Project A-ko or random episodes of a show. No, the reels of film were not lost. They definitely do a transfer from film, whether it's the original negative or something else, and then they degrain in post-processing after getting a picture that's probably something stunning. Why? Because who the hell knows. If the original film was lost, you'd only be getting composite upscales from a LD master or something.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
MSG on BD, huh? That's pretty bold, but I guess the DVD sets must have given them confidence. Not the biggest fan of the series, but the movie trilogy? Yeah, put those bad boys on there and we might have something Wink (though the DVDs don't look too bad on HDTV, upscaled) Sure hope Turn A does well enough to earn a BD release here, too…

But wow, never thought I would see X, ZZ, or Victory (the best, IMO) come stateside, even though hate over ZZ has greatly subsided in recent years. But when can we expect 0083, 08th, F91, Wing/EW, CCA, 00, and SEED/Destiny?

thekingsdinner wrote:
Iit's nice to see Gundam X and Victory being licensed after so long, but since they didn't give Turn A a dub treatment I guess they won't bother with the others either.

In this era, it is highly unrealistic to expect shows like X or Victory to get dubs. Especially an unknown commodity (in terms of fan attraction, also given its history) in X and one with animation as old as Victory's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

In this era, it is highly unrealistic to expect shows like X or Victory to get dubs. Especially an unknown commodity (in terms of fan attraction, also given its history) in X and one with animation as old as Victory's.
Yeah I do understand that, I'm just speaking my mind because I've always wanted dubs for all Gundam shows out there, but I guess that's a bit too unrealistic.
Oh well, if I have any spare cash on me I might as well support these releases. Especially Gundam X.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
GUNDAM X!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! It's a shame it's not getting a dub, as I've come up with a fan made cast list for it, but oh well! I'll take what I can get! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh and just for kicks, here's the fan cast list for X I made. It'll never be official, but one can dream, right?

Garrod: Andrew Francis
Tiffa: Claire Corlett
Jamil: Ian James Corlett
Shingo: Trevor Duvall
Toniya: Tabitha St. Germain
Sala: Nicole Oliver
Carris and Kid: Ashleigh Ball
Ennil: Madeleine Peters
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully some of the stuff thats being heavily price gouged will also be rerelased.

I'd to complete my Gundam collection.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I am just glad I can replace my poor quality Bandai DVDs. Half of all players choke on them at some point, but different points for different players. The production quality is awful. If I hadn't bought from rightstuf I would swear the Bandai disc where bootlegs...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3