• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Indian Summer [Sentai Selects] Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
My mom got me this as part of a collection my Aunt was selling off watched it this made Eiken look good in comparison.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
My mom got me this as part of a collection my Aunt was selling off watched it this made Eiken look good in comparison.

Eiken was f*cking hilarious!
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, Indiana Summer is not devoid of entertainment value but it doesn't have enough that I could recommend it to any audience.

Maybe it would have been more interesting were it somehow set in Indiana Wink
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I saw this when it first came out on ADV's (now Sentai) VOD service. It was enjoyable back then, but I guess it doesn't hold up.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think I might have given this one a slightly better review if I'd seen it when it first came out. It's not so much an issue of not aging well as the bar being shifted higher since it came out.

Saturn wrote:
Quote:
Overall, Indiana Summer is not devoid of entertainment value but it doesn't have enough that I could recommend it to any audience.

Maybe it would have been more interesting were it somehow set in Indiana Wink

Probably me making some kind of subconscious statement since I do, in fact, live in Indiana. Smile

Anyway, that's been corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
meh, I still like it, all these years later.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
This was both one of the first series I stumbled across online, and the first series I purchased after really coming into anime; the first one I ever got was the boxset of Chobits back in 2006, and this reminded me of that series albeit much pervier.

The first volume of the manga, which is quite different from the anime, was also released in North America and can still be found on RightStuf. Sadly no more of it ever came out; I think the publisher over here went defunct.

Good times.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
So, why is this series called Indian Summer? Is it set in India in the summer? Does someone think that this is how life must be like in India or among Native Americans? Or is it just one of those word-salad titles that sounds cool to a Japanese person but is nonsense to anone fluent in English?

animechic420 wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:

Eiken was f*cking hilarious!

I always thought of Eiken as a parody, with fanservice elements cranked up to absurd degrees.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So, why is this series called Indian Summer? Is it set in India in the summer? Does someone think that this is how life must be like in India or among Native Americans? Or is it just one of those word-salad titles that sounds cool to a Japanese person but is nonsense to anone fluent in English?

Indian Summer is an English Idiom meaning a summer that stretches into the autumn months. See http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/weather-phenomena/indian-summer for it's origins.

It's an adapted title, the original Japanese is "Koharu Biyori". An idiom which means roughly the same thing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. I had never heard of this idiom before. I think it's because such summers are normal occurrences for us.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I have always understood "Indian summer" to refer to a period of summerlike warmth which occurs after autumn's first bout of colder (or in some regions rainier) weather. If there's never a break in the weather being warm then it's not really Indian summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1