• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: World Conquest Zvezda Plot Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like this, and watched the first few episodes on Daisuki, but I never found it funny or interesting enough to continue.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
I watched this and I enjoyed it very much. I just have no idea what was actually going on. Or, o be more exact, I knew what was happening, I just didn't know why. Still really fun.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
I loved the anti-smoking episode. It was so ridiculous and crazy it was hard not to love it.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
I was hooked on it from the beginning but I wish it had gained enough traction to get a second season. Knowing how things work in the world though, I won't keep my hopes up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
The moment the anti smoking episode ended, this show become one of my favorite shows of that season, and it remained so until the very end.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Zvezda was good but never as important as it wanted to be or maybe I should say "essential". I saw all of it but I don't remember any specifics beyond the way Kate gave speeches. Worth watching for her but in the end, that's about it.

As for the AoA release, it's not so much economy but rather a throwaway release. "It won't sell so here's a product you wouldn't want to buy in 2015." It's not the first and won't be the last. I don't blame them for milking named properties for all they're worth because I'd do the same thing myself but it's these titles that show how much disregard they have for the market.

Direct "Can not sell to Japan" releases but still just lower quality DVD products with retail BD prices. As far I can tell, the only business model they have is what they can get away with for each title and if they see no value in a show, this basic DVD complete version is the release it gets. As as it's their only standard format, it's very telling on their part on how they feel about their "budget" shows: "Lack of widespread appeal, low quality, not popular at all, otaku bait" to "outright bad". They're all lumped together so there's no real enticement to buy any of them. They own the rights and this is what they think of them?

Really makes me feel depressed for liking some of these "dead on arrival" shows. Not that I'd buy DVDs of any of them, of course.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
This show really was something special. It's rare to get something this strange (and surprisingly political at times) in anime, but at the same time, it's something that I feel can only be done in anime.

I do think that while it is an incredibly original series, the closest sibling I can think of would actually be Excel Saga, although this one is not quite as... fast? random? Either way both are excellent examples of when anime comedy gets smart.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

.....Direct "Can not sell to Japan" releases but still just lower quality DVD products with retail BD prices. As far I can tell, the only business model they have is what they can get away with for each title and if they see no value in a show, this basic DVD complete version is the release it gets. As as it's their only standard format, it's very telling on their part on how they feel about their "budget" shows: "Lack of widespread appeal, low quality, not popular at all, otaku bait" to "outright bad". They're all lumped together so there's no real enticement to buy any of them. They own the rights and this is what they think of them?

Really makes me feel depressed for liking some of these "dead on arrival" shows. Not that I'd buy DVDs of any of them, of course.

Completely agree. Garbage release for a fun show. It is sad.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

As for the AoA release, it's not so much economy but rather a throwaway release. "It won't sell so here's a product you wouldn't want to buy in 2015." It's not the first and won't be the last. I don't blame them for milking named properties for all they're worth because I'd do the same thing myself but it's these titles that show how much disregard they have for the market.

Direct "Can not sell to Japan" releases but still just lower quality DVD products with retail BD prices. As far I can tell, the only business model they have is what they can get away with for each title and if they see no value in a show, this basic DVD complete version is the release it gets. As as it's their only standard format, it's very telling on their part on how they feel about their "budget" shows: "Lack of widespread appeal, low quality, not popular at all, otaku bait" to "outright bad". They're all lumped together so there's no real enticement to buy any of them. They own the rights and this is what they think of them?

That's what sucks really. I would actually buy Zvezda Plot without complaining for a bit more if it wasn't just a DVD release. Hardly worth my money as it stands.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why the reviewer finds the concept so "bizarre" or tries to find some "secret allegory" to it--
With the Japanese economy, and more folks having to go minimum-wage and keep their respectability, contrasted with Japan's own epic ideals about itself, the "Minimum-Wage World Conqueror" comedy--about the evil dictator/invader who has plans to rule the world, even if it means skimping back on cup-ramen until he can pay his one-room apartment rent--has practically become its own full-blown genre....Seeing as how anime comedy portrays self-delusion so well. Smile

Started way back with the ACROSS Revolution in Excel Saga, was more famously popularized by the Keron Platoon in Sgt. Frog, gave us a cute bit of moe with Squid Girl, is practically textbook-defined by The Devil Is a Part-Timer, and just put a goofy tsundere-toddler spin on the goofy team members of Zvezda.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I don't know why the reviewer finds the concept so "bizarre" or tries to find some "secret allegory" to it

Nick Creamer wrote a really interesting essay last year called "Sekai Seifuku and the Island of Misfit Toys", in which he examined what he felt the show was trying to accomplish. One of his better articles, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't think the show is as deep as something like Revolutionary Girl Utena... a good comparison might be Martian Successor Nadesico: a flawed, yet thematically rich show that values tonal consistency over intelligibility.

Foxaika wrote:
That's what sucks really. I would actually buy Zvezda Plot without complaining for a bit more if it wasn't just a DVD release. Hardly worth my money as it stands.

It doesn't matter whether a show has an interesting story, compelling dialogue, a great soundtrack, talented voice actors, creative character designs, or a compelling tone... if it is on DVD instead of BluRay?

For the record, I bought the DVDs, and the show looks great. Way better video quality than when I watched it on CrunchyRoll.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Foxaika wrote:

It doesn't matter whether a show has an interesting story, compelling dialogue, a great soundtrack, talented voice actors, creative character designs, or a compelling tone... if it is on DVD instead of BluRay?

For the record, I bought the DVDs, and the show looks great. Way better video quality than when I watched it on CrunchyRoll.

That's not what I meant, really. My main point was that I could watch it with similar or perhaps greater quality(in HD) on Crunchyroll for example. Now if what you say is truly the case, then perhaps I will reconsider. It's much less a "must be a Bluray thing" and more a question of whether or not I am spending money on something that isn't better than what I already have available to me. If the answer to that is "yes", then I've lost most of my incentive to buy. I hope that clears things up.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
This show really was something special. It's rare to get something this strange (and surprisingly political at times) in anime, but at the same time, it's something that I feel can only be done in anime.

I do think that while it is an incredibly original series, the closest sibling I can think of would actually be Excel Saga, although this one is not quite as... fast? random? Either way both are excellent examples of when anime comedy gets smart.

Ah yes, Excel Saga Smile

Agree with the many opinions, Zvezda was a fun show.
rdsathene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Loved the humor, and the zany nature of the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

.....It doesn't matter whether a show has an interesting story, compelling dialogue, a great soundtrack, talented voice actors, creative character designs, or a compelling tone... if it is on DVD instead of BluRay?.....

Whenever you buy an anime DVD, you have to wonder if the BluRay is going to come out later. Also it is kinda crap, when there is a BD in Japan, but they decide to dump out a DVD on the western market.

I am not saying, get rid of DVD's. There are still a lot of DVD players out there. But the BD is the present, the future has already arrived. So when the Japanese go DVD only on us, we know why.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3