• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Elfen Lied Blu-ray Released Monday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
How the heck did Elfen Lied get a 15 rating?
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The old ADV UK release got a 15 as well.

I think it's a case of any nudity not being sexual etc, and the violence not being overly realistic or imitable.

The BBFC are a lot more tolerant than they were in the 80's and 90's, as is shown by the likes of the original Mad Max which was at one point only available in an edited 18, then an uncut 18, now I think it's an uncut 15.

I received my copy of EL this morning and the packaging is lovely to look at, I'm hoping to open it up and start watching tonight or Tomorrow as I don't think I ever saw the OVA episode (I've got the old UK DVD release).
C-radica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
How the heck did Elfen Lied get a 15 rating?

Well funny enough it was rated 18 in Germany (at least some episodes were). AND THEY GAVE INTERSPECIES REVIEWERS A 16!!! (with only ONE 18 episode). Which was the 3rd one (the one that made Funimation drop it). Even in the US it was rated 17+ until that very episode and was re-rated to not rated (suggested 18+) which is the equivalent of the BBFC's R-18 (or at least the closest thing)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1