• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Attack on Titan Modeling Director Has Choice Words for Critics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Modern Hollywood spends 100's of Millions of Dollars on films, mostly they make money doing this. ( Sometimes not so much. )

Japan makes movies using far less money and they work hard at getting the best effects for what they have to spend. They too mostly make money doing this.

Me, I've watched many Hollywood big budget films and many Japanese low budget films. I don't expect them to look or feel the same, rather I enjoy them for what they are and the effort that was put into them. For the most part I come away feeling like I got my money's worth of entertainment. Very Happy

Mark Gosdin
MajorZero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
District 9 had $30 million budget, not entirely out of reach for japanese studios, yet VFX of this film is still light years ahead of what we saw in trailers of AoT. Unless, of course, this dude thinks that every Hollywood movie has a budget of Avatar or At World's End.

Also, you can't save your ass by saying crap like that after looking at the budget of Monsters.

Last edited by MajorZero on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I get why he would be angry, especially since it seems like the movie had a very limited budget. It seems unfair to compare that to specifically big budget Hollywood movies, which I think is what he means here.

I'm not sure about him being so vocal about it, though. It seems unproffessional. Same for his comments on the review. Though again, it is his personal opinion and the part about the reviews was on his private Facebook page, so it should be nobody's business.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
District 9 had $30 million budget, not entirely out of reach for japanese studios, yet VFX of this film is still light years ahead of what we saw in trailers of AoT. Unless, of course, this dude thinks that every Hollywood movie has a budget of Avatar or At World's End.

This. Even when a film has a budget of $150 million it could still look like shit(Green Lantern is a great example of this).
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
As much as he wants to defend the project he worked on, there's no arguing that Japanese cinema continues on its downward slump.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
He does have a point. I see people do that comparison too often.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
He has a point. Its so saddening to see how in every form of media people just want to draw comparisons every time. Just sit back and enjoy it, if you don't you don't. Don't go off comparing stuff to other stuff just because you didn't like it.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
He does have a point, however I have to agree with MajorZero. There have been movies made in recent years that have delivered high-quality VFX on sub-par (at least, by most VFX-intense movies standards) budgets. The AoT movie seemed doomed from the start.

Which is a shame, really. It's just going to make people even more cautious about adapting Japanimation/manga/whatever into live-action.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
District 9 had $30 million budget, not entirely out of reach for japanese studios, yet VFX of this film is still light years ahead of what we saw in trailers of AoT.

What was the budget for this though? I kinda doubt it was $30 million. It doesn't matter what is technically in reach for a japanese studio.

Isinfier wrote:
The AoT movie seemed doomed from the start.

I assumed so as soon as I heard about it. Even reasonably done live action special effects just cost too much for an anime adaption that will likely never do much outside of Japan. Sure, some lower budget hollywood films managed some decent stuff, but hollywood also has a lot more experience doing it. Those also still probably had a larger budget than this did.

Isinfier wrote:
Which is a shame, really. It's just going to make people even more cautious about adapting Japanimation/manga/whatever into live-action.

I don't think this is applicable to adapting anime/manga for live action in general, just things which will obviously require lots of well done special effects.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The salt must really be flying around the critics' table today.

On a serious note, while I think Mr. Nishimura may have gone too far with his comment, he does have a point. Not every movie has to have a Hollywood-level budget to be great.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Go back to men in suits smashing up miniatures, Japan. You were good at that.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's totally possible to have great VFX on a lower budget, as long as you extremely underpay and overwork your VFX artists... which Hollywood does sometimes! ...I've just too many rants from VFX artists who feel far undervalued by the studios.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

That's what happens in this movie though!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

That's what happens in this movie though!

oh...then abandon ship!

edit: Thinking of monster movies, I might watch Big Man Japan again. At least that film compensated for the crap vfx with a charmingly original story.

Last edited by Lemonchest on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile Korea makes great movies despite their small budgets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3