• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Has Over 5 Million Registered Accounts Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
At this rate it may overtake WoW, the last quarter they had 5.6 million so it's very close. Although I'm sure WoW will go up a bit when the new expansion is released.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
During the 14 hour stream they stated it was around about a million active subs. Which is higher than last year so it is growing still.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to say I'm one of the active subscribers. While the game has its flaws and will always be compared to WoW in mechanics and design to some degree, I do think the FFXIV devs have finally found their unique touch to the MMO genre. I talk constantly with a friend who is a WoW-fiend and we compare notes between the games. A lot of similarities with some differences.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Congrats. With those the subscription fees, I wonder if the company pays the workers a decent amount and still a decent profit.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Lusbox wrote:

At this rate it may overtake WoW, the last quarter they had 5.6 million so it's very close. Although I'm sure WoW will go up a bit when the new expansion is released.

WoW's numbers are "active" subs, while FFXIV's numbers are "all-time" subs (estimates 800K-1.2M active subs). T'was released last month.

Amiantos wrote:

During the 14 hour stream they stated it was around about a million active subs. Which is higher than last year so it is growing still.

Definitely an improvement. At the start of the year, the publisher confirmed its numbers in its end-of-year report pulling in just under one million paying subscribers in total, across three of its MMO offerings: Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy 11, and Dragon Quest 10.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
My question is how many of the accounts aren't bots... Ever since Heavensward the bots have slowed down to a trickle, but they're still there, annoying us.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
WoW's numbers are "active" subs, while FFXIV's numbers are "all-time" subs (estimates 800K-1.2M active subs). (Also, this is actually last month's news.)

Ah I see, I took registered accounts the wrong way, not as close as I thought. Still sounds like they're doing well, and well deserved imo.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Aion's GCD always made the game worse. FFXIV is no different. I've always hated that about WoW vanilla too. The fact that it's more obtrusive in FFXIV just burned me out beside the leveling and the fact that the movements of the characters and mobs reminded me of a cheap/free MMORPG. It was too robotic and static. The landscaping and places where the characters could actually walk was too restricted in my opinion.

I had high hopes (or rather I was riding the hype train) given FFX was the first FF game I played and I loved it so much (besides the final boss fight).
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I'm glad to say I'm one of the active subscribers. While the game has its flaws and will always be compared to WoW in mechanics and design to some degree, I do think the FFXIV devs have finally found their unique touch to the MMO genre. I talk constantly with a friend who is a WoW-fiend and we compare notes between the games. A lot of similarities with some differences.

WoW itself is just a streamlining and general improvement of all other MMOs that had been out at the time, and was also constantly compared to those games. Rather than doing anything new to the formula, it instead focused on mainstream appeal. Because WoW's standards have more or less dictated the design of current-day MMOs, I think there's nothing wrong with FF14 being "the best"* of the MMOs using that design while we wait for the next huge innovation in MMOs.

*I personally find it the best WoW-clone, though it's perfectly understandable if anyone disagrees.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
From what I have Googled, the MMORPG with the most global players, according to it's site, is Dungeon Fighter Online with over 400 million.
nhat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
From what I have Googled, the MMORPG with the most global players, according to it's site, is Dungeon Fighter Online with over 400 million.

This article is talking about sub based mmos, not f2p
Stealth00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

WoW itself is just a streamlining and general improvement of all other MMOs that had been out at the time, and was also constantly compared to those games. Rather than doing anything new to the formula, it instead focused on mainstream appeal.

I'm not a WoW player, but let's give it its due. Solo friendly leveling in an era where things like forced grouping was the norm ala FFXI or EQ was revolutionary. So were things like LFR and cross server LFR. Dunno how many competitors had instancing, but I can tell you FFXI didn't.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
My question is how many of the accounts aren't bots... Ever since Heavensward the bots have slowed down to a trickle, but they're still there, annoying us.

I read somewhere the bots accounted for 5% of accounts at best. It's just they're so annoying it feels more like 50% or higher.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
I'm not a WoW player, but let's give it its due. Solo friendly leveling in an era where things like forced grouping was the norm ala FFXI or EQ was revolutionary. So were things like LFR and cross server LFR. Dunno how many competitors had instancing, but I can tell you FFXI didn't.

I didn't play EQ at launch, but I was playing it for a while before WoW. Lots of classes could solo just fine so that wasn't revolutionary on WoW's part. Grouping is what made the genre in the first place, and I feel like I need to point out to you that the more WoW tries to remove that, the more the game dies. Cata, the first expansion to launch with dungeon finder lost a huge amount of subs. MoP, the first expansion to launch with LFR, lost a whole lot more. They keep removing the community aspect and people keep leaving. You ever quit a game because your friends are no longer playing? Or pick one up because your friends were playing it? Wow basically moved from playing with friends (rl or in-game) to playing with random people you will never see again who might as well be bots.

As for competitors with instancing, EQ had it since LDoN which was a long while before WoW. That wasn't revolutionary either.

What really made WoW pull players in from all their competitors was that they managed to keep the community aspect from previous MMORPGs while at the same time making the game accessible for players with a more casual play schedule.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I almost abandoned this game completely. After I reached the end of the main story of ARR, I didn't like the game enough to continue the end-game grind for better gear, so I let my subscription expire.

On a whim and several updates later, I re-subscribed and I'm glad I did. Heavensward's story is 10 x more compelling than the one in ARR. That, and as a Summoner, I was happy that they gave us a few new abilities to make things more interesting.

Anyway, I'm glad that it's doing well. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2