• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of August 19-25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bibotot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
OK. Is it me or is the chart stabilizing? As in, we have reached a point where we can come up with an overall impression of which anime are good and which one are bad this season. Because I don't see a lot of huge changes anymore.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, Chaos Dragon went up! Sure, it was entirely because some series simply did not have episodes air, but Chaos Dragon is such a special piece I thought completely possible for it to keep going down even when theoretically impossible.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
OK. Is it me or is the chart stabilizing? As in, we have reached a point where we can come up with an overall impression of which anime are good and which one are bad this season. Because I don't see a lot of huge changes anymore.

I imagine you're not talking about the weekly one, as that one changes a lot week to week, which is kinda expected. As for the cumulative one, it will stabilize over time inevitably, as each week each individual ranking will become less important to the cumulative ranking since it is based on more rankings. So the stabilization is independent of the stability of opinion. As to the rankings saying which shows are good or bad, I will direct you to one of the caveats at the top of the article

Quote:
Keep in mind that these rankings are based on how people rated individual episodes, not on the overall quality or popularity of the series. Sometimes a series is better than the sum of its parts, but this ranking is not about that. Also, being near the bottom of the list does not mean a title is bad; just that the others are liked better. Even the 'worst' was at least good (or hyped) enough to have people wanting daily reviews.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Oh hey, Chaos Dragon went up! Sure, it was entirely because some series simply did not have episodes air, but Chaos Dragon is such a special piece I thought completely possible for it to keep going down even when theoretically impossible.

Pretty sure most people would rather watch nothing than chaos dragon, so in that sense it is still below show that didn't air. Laughing

I can't wait for the end of the show, I beat there's going to be some blame throwing by all party involved.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Pretty sure most people would rather watch nothing than chaos dragon, so in that sense it is still below show that didn't air. Laughing

I can't wait for the end of the show, I beat there's going to be some blame throwing by all party involved.

I'm enjoying Chaos Dragon: Sekiryū Sen'eki, but not in the way the creators have probably intended. Smile
Nubrain01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching way more this season than I normally do or else I would have likely noticed this earlier but I only just realized that Aoharu X Machinegun is not on the list.

Why is no one talking about this show? I mean yeah it's far from the best thing this season but it's a lot better than a lot of stuff that's getting covered.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Nubrain01 wrote:
I'm watching way more this season than I normally do or else I would have likely noticed this earlier but I only just realized that Aoharu X Machinegun is not on the list.

Why is no one talking about this show? I mean yeah it's far from the best thing this season but it's a lot better than a lot of stuff that's getting covered.

There was a vote at the beginning to see which anime would b followed, it didn't make it. Probably because it's like the 3rd or 4th series with this general premise in the last 2-3 year.

The show I'm probably enjoying most this season is umaru-chan, but there's really not a whole lot to say about it every week, so I don't think there's a point to follow all the show (I would also include non non biyori in this despite being regularly ranked high, there's only so many way you can write "nothing much happened this week and that's fine").
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Non Non Biyori overtook Gintama in the cumulative rankings. Didn't think that would happen.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
Wow! Non Non Biyori overtook Gintama in the cumulative rankings. Didn't think that would happen.

They are both series that have their established fanbase, and that's a big part of why they're ranking high (but no guarantee; look at Naruto), but it looks like the last 2 episodes of Gintama have not been so great, and that's been enough for Non Non Biyori to overtake.

I find it interesting how ups/down in the weekly ranking sometimes have a delayed effect on the cumulative ranking. If you look at Prison School, for Aug 5-11 the weekly ranking went down while the cumulative ranking went way up. Because the accumulated good rankings of previous weeks finally formed a "critical mass" with a big impact on the cumulative ranking.

And Chaos Dragon... I find it amazing that even on the weekly graph it did not rank above any other series even once. That seems like an achievement in itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's a weird feeling to realize my taste differs from the overall audience (it's one thing to disagree with a review cause that's just one person).

So far into this season I'm quite enjoying Prison School, Gate & Food Shokugeki no Soma while to a lesser extent I'm also having a good time with Overlord and School Live. Charlotte is not very good but it's still not horrible enough for me to drop it. Maybe I'll replace it with God Eater if it doesn't improve though (I'm on episode 6).

I'd add Gintama but I'm actually quite behind and very far from the current season.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I guess it's a weird feeling to realize my taste differs from the overall audience (it's one thing to disagree with a review cause that's just one person).

Actually it's normal. This ranking is an average of many individual opinions, and an average is something defined as: if 100 people are too cold and 100 people are too hot, on average they are comfortable. Even though not a single one of those 200 people is actually comfortable.

Likewise, each anime fan usually has his/her preferred genre(s) and other idiosyncracies that make a certain title resonate more than another. If you average the opinions of many fans you get something like a genre-agnostic "neutral" point of view, but no fan is actually like that when watching anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

And Chaos Dragon... I find it amazing that even on the weekly graph it did not rank above any other series even once. That seems like an achievement in itself.

Guess we know who will probably be the Razzie winner this season heh.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Nubrain01 wrote:

There was a vote at the beginning to see which anime would b followed, it didn't make it. Probably because it's like the 3rd or 4th series with this general premise in the last 2-3 year.

Which is a shame. It's definitely one of my favorites this season. It's been a while since I sincerely laughed out loud so much watching an anime.
bibotot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Dan42 wrote:

Guess we know who will probably be the Razzie winner this season heh.

Why, Gen Urobuchi, why? Why did you let your ideas fall into the hands of incompetent people like that? It's just like Aldnoah.zero again.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm so pleasantly surprised that Non Non Biyori is so popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2