×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam's Tomino Discusses 2D Fantasy Robot Anime Plans


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9322
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tomino also stated that he would like the work to make children realize the current rarity of hand-drawn animation, in light of the rise of modern 3D animation in Hollywood. He also said that he would like two or three more years to work on the project.

That's why the newest Spongebob movie impressed me, tons of great 2D animation for pretty much the whole movie. Extremely rare stuff outside of Japan, but it's hardly worth consideration if it's still a work done through Sunrise, because then it's most definitely not a product of Hollywood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 5423
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a good idea, I just hope someone is around to nail his feet to the ground, we all know what happens when he is given complete freedom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum



Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
Tomino also stated that he would like the work to make children realize the current rarity of hand-drawn animation, in light of the rise of modern 3D animation in Hollywood. He also said that he would like two or three more years to work on the project.

That's why the newest Spongebob movie impressed me, tons of great 2D animation for pretty much the whole movie. Extremely rare stuff outside of Japan, but it's hardly worth consideration if it's still a work done through Sunrise, because then it's most definitely not a product of Hollywood.


I don't get it, what are you trying to imply here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hikarunu



Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 950
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
nope, not interested Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DmonHiro





PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Hand drawn is very nice and all, but please spent some time writing the damn plot and characters. Reconguista was HORRIBLE in that regard.
Back to top
Gamlin



Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 136
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
No.

No.


NO!



He almost ruined Gundam with G-Reco now this?? No more Tomino, no more! Just retire already!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thekingsdinner



Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 1081
Location: Geertruidenberg, Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
Just the fact that he wants to use hand-drawn animation makes me want to see it. I will welcome more works from Tomino.
I liked Reconguista. I realize the many flaws it has regarding story and characters, but the animation was incredible and kept me watching.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
Tomino also stated that he would like the work to make children realize the current rarity of hand-drawn animation, in light of the rise of modern 3D animation in Hollywood. He also said that he would like two or three more years to work on the project.

That's why the newest Spongebob movie impressed me, tons of great 2D animation for pretty much the whole movie. Extremely rare stuff outside of Japan, but it's hardly worth consideration if it's still a work done through Sunrise, because then it's most definitely not a product of Hollywood.
Same here, it was advertised as if the 3DCG parts where the majority of the movie, but it surprisingly (and luckily) wasn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 1251
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
Yoshiyuki Tomino wrote:
I considered remaking a past work for the first project [in the business tie-up]. However, since we have not cleared all the rights, I won't be able to tell you. If I could talk about it here, I think you can imagine what kind of work will be made


Fantasy robots? Past work? Let's not be coy, Mr. Tomino, this has Byston Well written all over it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
H. Guderian



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 1255
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
Tomino has a lot of bombs on his resume, but also a lot of good. Yeah G-Reco was preeeetty hard to watch, but I think I still want him to keep going. Given how much he wanted Gundam to end decades go I don't think its a franchise he can work on with a clear mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Tomino has a lot of bombs on his resume, but also a lot of good. Yeah G-Reco was preeeetty hard to watch, but I think I still want him to keep going. Given how much he wanted Gundam to end decades go I don't think its a franchise he can work on with a clear mind.


You have to dissociate Tomino's artistic message from Bandai's economic imperative. For Tomino, Gundam ended with Turn A. The fact that he has done G-Reco a decade after Turn A or that Bandai will continue churning out more Gundam series for the next 5 decades is irrelevant to Tomino's vision insofar as Gundam is concerned. Most fans just don't understand this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redranger



Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 271
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
[expletive] hell. Tomino needs to go away permanently. The guy is complete shit and always has been.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vanfanel



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 1251
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
For Tomino, Gundam ended with Turn A.


Interesting; I never had a lot of interest in seeing Turn A because I'm not interested in AU Gundam...except I keep hearing these hints that it's not AU, or not exactly AU... Would knowing what it is going in constitute a spoiler?

I've always felt like CCA is where closure is reached. To continue from there, the writers have to basically start over with a new story, in which case there's no great need for it to be a Gundam show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
For Tomino, Gundam ended with Turn A.


Interesting; I never had a lot of interest in seeing Turn A because I'm not interested in AU Gundam...except I keep hearing these hints that it's not AU, or not exactly AU... Would knowing what it is going in constitute a spoiler?

I've always felt like CCA is where closure is reached. To continue from there, the writers have to basically start over with a new story, in which case there's no great need for it to be a Gundam show.


Simply put, Turn A is Tomino's answer to a very simple question. One that he established almost 40 years ago in Gundam 0079. Mind you, he never answered the question within the Gundam franchise (neither in CCA, nor Z nor ZZ nor Victory). However he did answer it in Ideon. But that was in the very early eighties. When in the late 90s Sunrise gave Tomino the possibility of doing yet another G series he accepted and used the opportunity to go back to the original question. Question that he this time answered in a definitive way. Of course the new answer is different from that in Ideon because in the meantime Tomino as person had changed. His views on humankind had changed and Turn A reflects that.

To be clear I'm not talking about the story. As you say the Gundam story insofar as Amuro and Char are concerned ends up in CCA. That is a definite closure. I'm talking about the interpretation of Tomino's works and here Turn A is the closure not CCA or Z or ZZ or Victory etc...

If you pay really close attention to the meaning of Gundam, you'll see a similarity between what Gundam is and the AT field concept in Evangelion. They both represent the same thing although in different settings.

In the end if you want to understand Tomino, his works of the last 30 years and obviously Gundam (which forms a big part of that) watch Turn A. If on the other hand you're only interested in the UC timeline then it's simply not worth the trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Themaster20000



Joined: 05 Aug 2014
Posts: 864
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen if Tomino's work,he is really similar to Geroge Lucas; in the way that both men are great at ideas and having other people take them to make something better outta of it.The probelm with both men are they're just terrible at directing and writing,you could let them have that much control.

Despite how I feel about him I'll give this project especially if it's hand-drawn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13584
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
In his defense, he's had a long career with robot anime as he was script writer for the original Astro Boy and that was over 50 years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group