• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Creator Kōji Miyata Passes Away at 34

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Very sad way to go. And so young too.

Seems like I'm always saying the exact same thing on threads like this, this year. People dying too young and not in a peaceful way.
livinew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read his works but it's sad that he died so young.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The family is inviting "fans of his work" to the funeral vigil?

Something about that seems off... In Japan if you go to a funeral vigil you're expected to provide kōden, condolence money as a parting gift.
By asking normal fans of his work to attend the actual funeral vigil it strikes me as a bit distasteful.

Are there other examples of fans being invited to funeral services of artists like this?
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P

Cerebral hemorrhage so young... Sad
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's very unfortunate. He was only 34, too. I send my condoles to his family, friends, co-workers, and fans.

RIP.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Something about that seems off... In Japan if you go to a funeral vigil you're expected to provide kōden, condolence money as a parting gift.
By asking normal fans of his work to attend the actual funeral vigil it strikes me as a bit distasteful.

Are there other examples of fans being invited to funeral services of artists like this?

First I've heard of that myself too, but I guess they're in the mindset of wanting to have the fans to visit them publicly and actually give their respects. It's one thing to show respect online, and sometimes have it be "half-assed" and not mean it; but to take the effort and show their respect to the family and all too, only true people could do that, and that's what I think it is that they're doing.

I wouldn't have done something like that since I can't handle funerals so well, but to at least have the message be sent across to give them my regards, that's the least I can do.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wow. Very young and a sad way to go. R.I.P. way too young.

Hadn't heard of him until this. Very sad way to find out about someone and their works. His manga sounds very interesting.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
That's super young. Are there any details on how he perished? Or he just spontaneously had hemorrage?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Why is it distasteful? I think it's very kind that they're allowing his fans to present their respects, and, on the cruder side of things, funerals are horribly costly. The fans that can and want to can say their farewells and thank him for his works, and the family gets a little monetary help. I'd call it a win-win situation except I don't think there can be "winners" when it comes to the death of someone so young.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
That's too bad...
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
RIP.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Such a shame! His art looks quite nice, too.... Prayers and condolences go out to his family.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
This is very sad news. I am a very big fan of his work, picking up Kikimimi Zukan some years back (because of the cover) and reading his current serial, Inugami-hime ni Kuchizuke. His art was very lush and organic, as opposed to the sometime CGI sterility that affects other art. Inugami-hime ni Kuchizuke was a lot of fun, about a Ghostbusters-like band of supernatural busters, and the series was getting to a pivotable point. Hopefully Comic Beam will compile the remaining episodes into a final tankubon.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
34? that's pretty young..

no reported cause? family history? drink? smoke?

a cousin of mine was about the same age when he undergone heart surgery-- a heavy drinker/smoker for many years so i'm curious if it's the same case for this author..
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
Man, what a horrible end at such a young age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2