• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
del Toro Submits Script for Pacific Rim 2 Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not expecting anything to come from this, especially after Crimson Peak bombed.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I'm not expecting anything to come from this, especially after Crimson Peak bombed.

He should just extend the movie idea out into 13 episodes or so and make an anime series out of it Smile
Japan would totally bite!
Kevin_Clouser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
This won't be happening, unless Thomas Tull (who runs Legendary Pictures), enjoys watching GDT hemorrhage his money for fun. I expect Tull to dump GDT sooner, rather than later, especially after how badly Crimson Peak has done.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Like Flight of the Phoenix, except this too will crash in the desert as well.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
I wish this had a chance of happening, because the first one was so much fun.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

He should just extend the movie idea out into 13 episodes or so and make an anime series out of it Smile
Japan would totally bite!
Actually, last I heard, they announced a Pacific Rim anime alongside Pacific Rim 2.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Actually, last I heard, they announced a Pacific Rim anime alongside Pacific Rim 2.

Actually, that got put on indefinite hold with the sequel. At most it was talked about, but no information has been heard for months, so like the sequel I doubt that'll happen. Even though I pray to Thor that it will.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Isn't that like just about every mecha anime ever made in Japan? I mean it was those that inspiried PR in the first place.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Step one for a sequel: Try to go beyond it being an "experience". Try to use things like "story", "characters" and logic. By logic, the first person, not last, who learns that his mech has a weapon should be the pilot maybe?

Try to be less vague on threats, past events, how things work in a tandem system. Ok, this would cover both exposition and backstory.

Monsters. Right, go beyond numbers, colors and what they use to attack. Start with names, even Godzilla fought Ebirah the Sea Monster, not giant shrimp number 3.

Trim the fat; The first hour of Pacific Rim could be summed up by one guy telling another guy "We fight giant monsters in giant robots, don't we?" and the other guy says "yep". Of course, if you had Mako as the main character then you'd have to do something, what's the word, interesting.

The action was ok but it didn't mean anything. What, 90% of the jaeger pilots died and the most it meant was less characters to kill non-CGI time? The monsters weren't a credible threat to humanity since they seemed more intent on fighting the jaegers after the program started to die down instead of doing their job of destruction- two monsters, two sides of the Pacific, simple math-, the wall wasn't a credible defense.

Even with all the problems in Pacific Rim, trying to make it into a franchise would be the worst; When you've already averted the apocalypse, you don't leave a lot of room for an encore.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Step one for a sequel: Try to go beyond it being an "experience". Try to use things like "story", "characters" and logic. By logic, the first person, not last, who learns that his mech has a weapon should be the pilot maybe?

Try to be less vague on threats, past events, how things work in a tandem system. Ok, this would cover both exposition and backstory.

Monsters. Right, go beyond numbers, colors and what they use to attack. Start with names, even Godzilla fought Ebirah the Sea Monster, not giant shrimp number 3.

Trim the fat; The first hour of Pacific Rim could be summed up by one guy telling another guy "We fight giant monsters in giant robots, don't we?" and the other guy says "yep". Of course, if you had Mako as the main character then you'd have to do something, what's the word, interesting.

The action was ok but it didn't mean anything. What, 90% of the jaeger pilots died and the most it meant was less characters to kill non-CGI time? The monsters weren't a credible threat to humanity since they seemed more intent on fighting the jaegers after the program started to die down instead of doing their job of destruction- two monsters, two sides of the Pacific, simple math-, the wall wasn't a credible defense.

Even with all the problems in Pacific Rim, trying to make it into a franchise would be the worst; When you've already averted the apocalypse, you don't leave a lot of room for an encore.
They didn't completely avert the apocalypse. It was more like delaying it.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

I was literally there for Jessica Chastain. She was awesome.

Instead I ended up with spoiler[a stupid scene were Tom Hiddleston's character shed a single bloody tear while slowly dying]
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks: Crimson Peak didn't technically bomb yet. BOM says it made its budget back. And it still hasn't hit South Korea or Japan yet, so...It could still find an audience.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
After looking at Crimson Peak's poor box office performance, we aren't going to see that Pacific Rim sequel any time soon unless if Thomas Tull loves bleeding money supporting Del Toro's underperforming films that always fail to garner an audience that they wanted to have.

As much as I like Del Toro, I don't blame the studios for not giving him the money he needs because he's not very reliable.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

In writing, this is called "Not being too close to your own material", and actually involving the audience--

Who, heavens to betsy, might not actually KNOW everything about your little pet-geek story going in, or might not share twenty years of the subculture that the story roots from and need a little grounding
(Something Marvel Studios do very well, and with even geekier premises--We could buy an ant-sized superhero and a wiseass talking alien raccoon, but not a giant robot fighting Godzilla?)

At this point, all it takes is just one more over promoted flop to officially qualify Gil for....well, would "One-Hit Wonder" count if you throw in Hellboy and those early vampire cult films before Pan's Labyrinth?

He raised a lot of buzz and excitement about the movies he was going to make before he made them, he just has a little problem getting audiences excited about them after they actually get made.

And, of course, that's IF they actually are.
digritz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
"are committed to having Pacific Rim 2, the sequel to 2013's Pacific Rim, which generated more $411 million at the global box office, be the vanguard, fully-immersive experience that the franchise deserves. To this end, the decision was made to delay the production and release of Pacific Rim 2 so that the creative team can continue in its efforts to exceed the amazing experience of the first film.”

Translation: Not gonna happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1