• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Denies Netflix Exclusivity for 24th Power Rangers Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I never really watched PR but I gotta ask: Why does Yellow Ranger's body look like that of a dude's when she gears up or whatever the term is for when they get into their combat suits.
2DKeith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I never really watched PR but I gotta ask: Why does Yellow Ranger's body look like that of a dude's when she gears up or whatever the term is for when they get into their combat suits.

If you are referring to the original MMPR Yellow Ranger, it's because it was a dude in the Japanese series they used footage from.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
In Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, Seijuu Sentai Gingaman, Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive, Mirai Sentai Timeranger, and Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger, there was only one female member per team. When Saban originally began Power Rangers, they felt that the team needed more of a gender balance, so they changed the Yellow rangers to female when they adapted those titles as Mighty Morphin', Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and Wild Force.

Furthermore, even in series where there are multiple female characters (two series, Ninja Storm/Hurricanger and Dino Thunder/Abaranger start out with teams of 3, and never gain a second female character, even though their final numbers end up at 6 and 5, respectively), often times the suit actor for the "tomboy" female ranger will be male. Off the top of my head, I know that Luka Millfy/Gokai Yellow's suit actor was male in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (adapted as the "legendary mode" in Super Megaforce).
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe an official news source fell for a rumor like that, not just this one but JEfusion too, these guys are good
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I can't believe an official news source fell for a rumor like that, not just this one but JEfusion too, these guys are good

I think it just goes to show how much people want to hope and/or believe PR is going to be taken off Nickelodeon.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
They're a repost factory. Only good tokusatsu site I've seen is Tokusatsu Network.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
theNightster wrote:

I think it just goes to show how much people want to hope and/or believe PR is going to be taken off Nickelodeon.

Again, it's the case of "Your rumor will sound neater if you say it's coming to Netflix! (Although you can't really say it's coming to regular TV anymore...) That way it'll sound like it's coming out of nowhere, with hardworking volunteers who'll make it really fan-faithful, rather than some verifiable big corporate/cable network that might ruin it, and it's harder to prove it's not happening!"

Like the "Live-action Zelda movie coming to NETFLIX!" that was also a big fat pathetic fakey, I give it another year before we finally start catching on.
There's still too much of a sexy honeymoon in our minds for NF-exclusive series after Daredevil/before Jessica Jones for us to not keep biting at the hook.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
theNightster wrote:

I do want it off of Nickelodeon too but there isn't much options, Saturday Morning blocks are pretty much dead, no way any Disney station would partner up with Saban since they gave up on PR, and Cartoon networks seems to not want to air live action shows anymore (which is kind of a good thing considering the channel's name)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Splitter wrote:

I do want it off of Nickelodeon too but there isn't much options, Saturday Morning blocks are pretty much dead, no way any Disney station would partner up with Saban since they gave up on PR, and Cartoon networks seems to not want to air live action shows anymore (which is kind of a good thing considering the channel's name)

And nearly every cable channel now has a corporate parent company that's more interested in using the channel as a 24-hour advertisement to promote the corporate product (Disney/Marvel/Lucas, Warner/CN/DC) and sell it on their own disks.
There's no room for a traveling salesman like DiC or Saban to come knocking on the door with a little curiosity he picked up on his international travels, unless they agree to become new official Corporate Acquisitions, like Nick with the Ninja Turtles.

Which is why most new third-party kids shows you do see head straight for the freebooting "whatever we can scratch up" markets of Amazon, Hulu and Netflix...as, unfortunately, do the rumors.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
theNightster wrote:

To be fair, "Dino Charge" is pretty good so far. After two/four mediocre seasons, it's a nice change in pace.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
In Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, Seijuu Sentai Gingaman, Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive, Mirai Sentai Timeranger, and Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger, there was only one female member per team. When Saban originally began Power Rangers, they felt that the team needed more of a gender balance, so they changed the Yellow rangers to female when they adapted those titles as Mighty Morphin', Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and Wild Force.

Furthermore, even in series where there are multiple female characters (two series, Ninja Storm/Hurricanger and Dino Thunder/Abaranger start out with teams of 3, and never gain a second female character, even though their final numbers end up at 6 and 5, respectively), often times the suit actor for the "tomboy" female ranger will be male. Off the top of my head, I know that Luka Millfy/Gokai Yellow's suit actor was male in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (adapted as the "legendary mode" in Super Megaforce).

Yeah, the main reason for this is that there aren't a whole lot of stuntwomen in Japan, so female characters tend to be played by smaller stuntmen who wear padding that makes them look like women.

Also, some corrections regarding the description of Ninninger's plot: The Last Ninja specifically battled the army of the Yokai overlord Kibaoni Gengetsu, and he didn't die in the final battle. The "descendants" are the Last Ninja's grandchildren, and they're each trying to prove that they deserve to inherit the title, but Grandpa is kind of a strict mentor.
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Yup, and I'm one of those people; I'm tired of Nickelodeon's bullshit.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
That would be nice if they could bring back Fox Kids. The nostalgia factor and arguably when Power Rangers was done the best back then.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
That would be nice if they could bring back Fox Kids. The nostalgia factor and arguably when Power Rangers was done the best back then.

But then, of course,
A) you'd have to have sponsors (which became difficult after the FCC cut down on junk-food ads)
B) you'd have to find more kids shows NOT owned by corporate properties (remember when Fox always showed the best Marvel toons?)

Which is why it all died off. Sad
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

Not really, if you look at their past articles about the MMPR movie, they have been wrong each time so everyone else knew the Netflix news was BS when they saw Collider's name linked as the source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2