• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Utawarerumono: The False Faces Fans Decode On-Screen Language

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
My god that is so nerdy but I love when creators take the time to do something like that, and when fans take the time to figure it out.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty clever, I can't wait to see where the story goes though.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well someone has too much time on their hands. But i admire their dedication!!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the runes in Madoka!
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:11 am Reply with quote
In before "Gratuitous Chinese".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
I am amazed when fans can figure made-up anime/manga writings. I wish the same fans could finally find figure out what the text on the Uchiha Tablet says.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
There were two different scripts in DanMachi, one was english-based (for humans) and one was japanese-based (for the gods). I only decoded the former: https://twitter.com/shiroihane/status/605570583926059009 (I don't believe this was my final version)

For example this reads as
"Belong to LOKI Familia
This time AIS WALLENSTEIN has upgrade to LV 6
And she has been fight the monster on the 37 floor on her own"
(and the other partial notices largely make since as well)

There was another show recently with a fake language and I was wondering if it was random or a cipher. Was it Comet Lucifer? Apart from I couldn't really be bothered trying, there rarely or never seemed to be any clear meaning to start from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
To those who are expressing various degrees of bewilderment/bafflement over people expending time/energy over fictitious languages, I would respectfully point out that the HBO series Game of Thrones also uses fictional languages. Also: Read here and here.

I would also respectfully point out that just as there are enthusiasts of fictional languages, there are also enthusiasts of Japanese cartoons. Just some food for thought.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
To those who are expressing various degrees of bewilderment/bafflement over people expending time/energy over fictitious languages, I would respectfully point out that the HBO series Game of Thrones also uses fictional languages. Also: Read here and here.

I would also respectfully point out that just as there are enthusiasts of fictional languages, there are also enthusiasts of Japanese cartoons. Just some food for thought.

I think Lord of the Rings would have been a better example, everyone knows about that. I am actually a member of the conlanging community myself, for the matter. We're way tinier than the anime community though Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Ariho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
A substitution cipher is just a cheap surrogate for a fictional language.
There are some anime that use real constructed languages, with their own grammar and lexicon, like Ar Tonelico (Hymmnos) and Crest of the Stars (Baronh). That’s many times harder to do, and truly something to be amazed by. As another language enthusiast, I’d wish more series would do it.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There was another show recently with a fake language and I was wondering if it was random or a cipher. Was it Comet Lucifer? Apart from I couldn't really be bothered trying, there rarely or never seemed to be any clear meaning to start from.

In a thread on Futaba Channel and 2ch's Comet Lucifer thread, there were people who were decoding the letters used in Comet Lucifer, and according to them, the letters correspond with the Latin alphabet.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1