Forum - View topic
1st Kizumonogatari Film Listed as 60 Minutes Long by Theater


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ownsin



Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
That's short.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4125
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Considering they are doing three films, this is about the length that I am expecting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
spark67



Joined: 15 Dec 2014
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Is short, but is a bakemonogatari movie, so, it would be like a 1000 words per minute to say something funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dm
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 517
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ownsin wrote:
That's short.


There are a lot of shorter-than-80-minutes Japanese animated films (I think the Kino no Tabi movie was only 30 minutes). And don't forget that 80 minutes is the traditional length of a Disney animated film.

I think several of them often get shown together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Knight-Hart



Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 266
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm glad it's so short. Since there's three of them, them being so short shows that they won't try to stretch it out and add too much filler content.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4613
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I also think this length makes sense. I imagine each of the other two movies will be 60-70 minutes long. I am fine with three movies as long as they are released within the next 20 months.

On short movies, Makoto Shinkai's The Garden of Words is like 45 minutes long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Alabaster Spectrum



Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
It's a money milking scheme so not surprised.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kreion



Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
It's a money milking scheme so not surprised.

I mean, I'd rather they make films of it so they can make it look spectacular rather than making it look just good in a series - so maybe you too should actually think about things like this before you say them Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 574
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
From what I remember of the novel, they'd still need to pad it out a little if they want to fill 3 hours.
Three movies are just too many. And it feels weird that they'll be as long as the previous Nekomonogatari, Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari.

This should have been a single 90-120 movie, or at most two of them if they aren't up to the task.

dm wrote:
Ownsin wrote:
That's short.


There are a lot of shorter-than-80-minutes Japanese animated films (I think the Kino no Tabi movie was only 30 minutes). And don't forget that 80 minutes is the traditional length of a Disney animated film.

I think several of them often get shown together.


Kino no Tabi had two 30-minute films.
And they were kinda weird for movies, they looked like regular OVAs with some CGI thrown in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8074
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
They're running out of their golden goose (till Nisio pens some more).

Not surprising that they're trying to squeeze all they can while it's still there. I don't really care myself. I won't be seeing it in theatres, so no reason to be upset by the obvious less-than-theatrical length.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blackiris_
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 483
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't like this trend of splitting TV series material into several movies. I love anime movies and actually think they're far more interesting than TV anime presently, but recently there have been a few examples of a series of usually pretty short animated movies based on an existing franchise.

Like with Tamayura. Or Digimon. And now Kizumonogatari. And Ajin which is getting a TV version at the same time. (I've also never understood why people would visit cinemas to see recap movies unless they haven't seen the original show, for most recap movies tend to be pretty bad and super-condensed.)

The problem I see is that the quality of those movies is not necessarily much higher than their TV counterparts whereas anime movies are traditionally animated with bigger budgets. So instead of putting the material of two or three TV episodes together and bring it to the big screens, I'd rather see real movie material.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaryNhk



Joined: 26 Jul 2015
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They're running out of their golden goose (till Nisio pens some more).

Not surprising that they're trying to squeeze all they can while it's still there. I don't really care myself. I won't be seeing it in theatres, so no reason to be upset by the obvious less-than-theatrical length.


Shaft still has tons of Nisekoi they can squeeze out. Also Madoka their revisting. So monogatari isn't their only golden goose. I think Nisio depends on shaft more than the latter. Look at the madoka box anime and katanagatari those came and went and noone really talks too much about them. Bakemonogatari been a huge hit in japan and big following in the west mainly because of shaft style.

I don't really understand anime movies. If their gonna be under an hour about 2 episodes why bother making it a movie and not ova special. Movies are normally now a days 2 hours or more other wise you feel your getting rip off. Hell most america tv shows now are an hour long its becoming more of the norm.

Like you said its not coming to america theaters... We are gonna get a blu ray thats 90 dollars at the least for 60 minutes of content
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4125
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

Shaft still has tons of Nisekoi they can squeeze out. Also Madoka their revisting. So monogatari isn't their only golden goose. I think Nisio depends on shaft more than the latter. Look at the madoka box anime and katanagatari those came and went and noone really talks too much about them. Bakemonogatari been a huge hit in japan and big following in the west mainly because of shaft style.


Medaka box isn't talked about because the anime was a pretty bad adaptation and we never had easy or legal access to the source material for that. Katanagatari is very highly regarded and actually sold pretty well too. The reason people talk about Monogatari over that is probably more because there is Monogatari still coming out. And Nisioisin's works have all sold very well, regardless of their anime counterparts, so I don't think he is reliant on SHAFT much at all. Though I'm sure he doesn't mind the extra publicity and royalties. Laughing


Quote:
Like you said its not coming to america theaters... We are gonna get a blu ray thats 90 dollars at the least for 60 minutes of content


It might come to American theaters. I wouldn't be overly surprised. We've got AoA putting all kinds of stuff in theaters these days, and every showing I've been to has been packed. I don't see why they wouldn't show these as well. And maybe you're deliberately exaggerating on the price, but given AoA's very consistent pricing model, these movies are probably going to have a store price of about $40 each on Rightstuf. If they decide to bundle them, maybe even around $100 for all three.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GaryNhk



Joined: 26 Jul 2015
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It might come to American theaters. I wouldn't be overly surprised. We've got AoA putting all kinds of stuff in theaters these days, and every showing I've been to has been packed. I don't see why they wouldn't show these as well. And maybe you're deliberately exaggerating on the price, but given AoA's very consistent pricing model, these movies are probably going to have a store price of about $40 each on Rightstuf. If they decide to bundle them, maybe even around $100 for all three.


AoA pricing for monogatari blu rays are still price high. On newer shows they gotten better on releasing different sets other than limited editions but with monogatari your out of luck all come in limited edition or nothing. Bakemonogatari is 160 for 15 episodes and newer vols are 50 for 4 episodes or 60 for 5-6 episodes per vol. They also stop doing the character commentary after the bakemonogatari set even though the japanese sets all character commentary tracks on each episode on the whole show of monogatari. Were they to lazy to subtitle it or just afraid that japanese people would import the cheaper western set if it had character commentary like their sets.

Going by the Madoka movie limited edition set I think these movies will be at the 70-80 dollar mark on AoA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13851
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

From what I remember of the novel, they'd still need to pad it out a little if they want to fill 3 hours.
Three movies are just too many. And it feels weird that they'll be as long as the previous Nekomonogatari, Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari.

This should have been a single 90-120 movie, or at most two of them if they aren't up to the task.


Everything's being turned into trilogy now. Look at The Hobbit. 3 is the magic number.


GaryNhk wrote:

I don't really understand anime movies. If their gonna be under an hour about 2 episodes why bother making it a movie and not ova special. Movies are normally now a days 2 hours or more other wise you feel your getting rip off.


The movie prices are higher in Japan too, so a trip to the movies is like going on vacation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group