• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manglobe Anime Studio Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
And there it is...again. Hopefully, we'll get to see GO in the future.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean no second season for GANGSTA.?? =(
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
If it weren't for their first real success in Kekkai Sansne since FMAB, I would have expected this of BONES. I guess producers just have more collected faith in that studio.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If it weren't for their first real success in Kekkai Sansne since FMAB, I would have expected this of BONES. I guess producers just have more collected faith in that studio.

Bones had a succesful Noragami before Kekkai Sensen. Manglobe have nothing that a disaster failures in sales in a years, so it's expected.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
let's hope they survive
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
True, BONES are not getting many flops like most are saying.

The studio has done steady adaptations since their Brotherhood. It's just its hard to topple such masterpiece, that's why others are saying BONES are flopping their titles. While it's a fact that they are most underperforming their latter titles, it's still enough to say they are getting enough sales to stay out of insolvency.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
So sad to see a studio go...
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
They haven't produced an interesting work since, well, Samurai Champloo (Ergo Proxy was a collection of ideas rather than the whole picture) and I think none of their work has been profitable. Still, that's pretty impressive how studio existed for more than 10 years without a single financial hit.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
They haven't produced an interesting work since, well, Samurai Champloo (Ergo Proxy was a collection of ideas rather than the whole picture) and I think none of their work has been profitable. Still, that's pretty impressive how studio existed for more than 10 years without a single financial hit.

The overpriced DVDS/BDs and perhaps associated merchandise might have helped keep the lights on.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
So what's going to happen to the licenses to all these shows and who has the rights to them now?
unready

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
They haven't produced an interesting work since, well, Samurai Champloo...

Perhaps it's only a matter of opinion, but I'd call ...

Michiko and Hatchin (2008)
House of Five Leaves (2010)
Deadman Wonderland (2011)

... interesting. So they're not numerous or especially recent, but they succeeded Samurai Champloo. There are also a few others that have been considered notable, but not by me, and still not enough to stay in business.

CCTakato wrote:
So what's going to happen to the licenses to all these shows and who has the rights to them now?

The company hasn't dissolved, so Manglobe still owns them. Eventually they may be sold to creditors (banks, real estate companies, whatever), who'll probably have no idea what to do with them. Or maybe the remaining members of the production committees will pick them up. Meanwhile any licensees still have licenses.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
MajorZero wrote:

The overpriced DVDS/BDs and perhaps associated merchandise might have helped keep the lights on.

$70 a volume for anime in Japan isn't overpriced, it's normal.

As for Manglobe, I've had a bit of a grudge over ruining Zettai Karen Children and teasing my little heart of a new season. But I feel bad for the people that work there. Hope they find work at a new studio soon.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched much made by them but sad to see any studio go whether anime, game etc.. (I miss you Cing Anime cry)

Silly question but as huge collector who plans to buy some NA sets of some of these titles this shouldn't have any effect on the availability of the blurays/dvd's in the NA market right? I doubt it will but figured I'd ask because OOP prices are a pain.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
I hope that all the people who work there (who may lose their jobs) will find somewhere else to work soon.

Also just wondering, but when has another animation studio that we know closed/bankrupted?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

$70 a volume for anime in Japan isn't overpriced, it's normal.

Just because it's "normal" doesn't mean it isn't overpriced. The fact that three-four episodes of anime (roughly over an hour) cost the same as one or even two anime figures or two nights at an average backpackers hostel in Kyoto, quite screams overpriced to me. Just a thought.

As far as the studio, I am saddened, I quite liked a good amount of their works. I count myself among the 10 or so people that loved Samurai Flamenco, and I also loved House of Five Leaves. Gangsta was one of my favorites of the season up to the final two episodes. These are some quite disappointing news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5