• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
over-use of the same photos for articles?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
If a particular person is the subject of several articles per year, would it be possible for ANN staff to find different or more up-to-date images to use?

Recent examples of repeated use of the same image would include Hideo Kojima and Hayao Miyazaki.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Finding a useable image is actually quite challenging... or rather time consuming.

There are a lot of issues the team has to take into consideration regarding fair-use.

Amateur websites will simply take whatever recent image they find. On the other hand, we can't use most of those images. We try not to use images that belong to other publications or wire services, so we are left with only images that are in the public domain (or are licensed for reuse), and PR images (which are implicitly licensed for reuse).

Wikimedia commons is a great source of images, but we still need to take the time to verify each image's license.

Sometimes the right image can be found quite quickly, but often it can take a lot more time. That's time the news team would prefer to spend writing another news article.

In short, more time finding images means fewer news articles on the site.

Still, I do agree that it would be nice to see a higher variety of images. I'll discuss this with the newsroom editors when I have a chance. Maybe there's something we can do with the interns.

Chris
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate that it can be difficult finding images cleared for publication.

PS, I did donate a new picture of Lisa Komine to the ANN Encyclopaedia from when I met her after a live show in November 2014.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
PS, I did donate a new picture of Lisa Komine to the ANN Encyclopaedia from when I met her after a live show in November 2014.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1