• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bravely Second: End Layer's Demo Comes to N. America on March 10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
this Australian says yes, play the demo first before the main game bc plot twist no spoilers tho haha Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
The Bravely demos are meant to be played before the game. They have absolutely no story from the game itself, give you a good feel for the gameplay, and give you bonuses that transfer to the main game. Why wouldn't you play the demo first?
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
also, i am already playing this Game (Germany), and i must say, it feels like home for me
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
also, i am already playing this Game (Germany), and i must say, it feels like home for me

Can you let me know what the deal is with the side quest "cuts"? I've been hanging around forums lately to see what's the deal but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Bravely Censored they should call it. The sooner Nintendo stops touching these products the better. They can't localize to save their lives.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Really, what I wish they'd do is make use of the freaking parental lockout codes rather than forcing everyone to use the Cowboy alteration. Give us the option to switch the character out if it makes us uncomfortable rather than dragging everyone else along. Heck, activate the parental code features by default so that us smarter people know to swap it out to get the full experience.

....but it's not the character change that bothers me - that doesn't necessarily gunk up the rest of the story. I'm bothered by the alternate quest outcomes being cut. I'm hearing without any solid confirmation that some quest-ends were cut because players would otherwise have to play the full game 4 times to see all 100% of them. The possible intent behind this would be to make the game a bit.....maybe "easier" isn't the right word......but regardless, the possibility of quest outcomes getting cut bothers me because BOOM! now all of a sudden, my individual choices throughout the story don't matter - everyone is going to end up in the same place regardless with things like that. They effectively would be taking the "RP" out of the RPG.
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The art book is censored as well. Multiple pictures are being removed. Nintendo keeps finding new ways to cross the line. I think I'm going to take a zero tolerance policy on censorship from now on. This is just getting ridiculous. I'm tired of paying a company money so they can continue to disrespect gaming as an art form.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
I think I'm going to take a zero tolerance policy on censorship from now on. This is just getting ridiculous.

In that case, there won't be much media you'll be getting in the future. Pretty much everything is subject to tweaking from executives or lawyers. Those long pauses in commentary tracks, for instance, are usually because the people talking said something the lawyers don't like or is unflattering to the company, and so it's edited right out.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Let's see... Censored costumes, Tomahawk Indians replaced by Cowboys, the alternate endings being axed out of the storyline, and a censored English artbook...

Yep... No way am I spending $40+ for that sort of "localization." The game may as well be called "Bravely Censored."
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
TrustTheFungus wrote:
I think I'm going to take a zero tolerance policy on censorship from now on. This is just getting ridiculous.

In that case, there won't be much media you'll be getting in the future. Pretty much everything is subject to tweaking from executives or lawyers. Those long pauses in commentary tracks, for instance, are usually because the people talking said something the lawyers don't like or is unflattering to the company, and so it's edited right out.

I think you're being very pedantic and petty here. It is clear by "zero tolerance" he means anything that is actually cut or clearly changed, not tiny little changes that occur through any localisation process.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
What about name changes, bleeped out swear words, mosaic'ed or censor-barred sex organs, movies that later receive Director's Cuts, movies cut for time or to avoid the NC-17 rating, or TV show episodes cut to fit within the allotted time?

Name changes are something replaced with something else, the next two are classic examples of censorship that doesn't really come up in these parts, and the last three are types of cut content that rarely are ever deemed as censorship.

My point, though, is that almost all media is going to get content removed or edited with the intent of making it accessible to a wider audience. Applying this modern definition of the word "censorship" without being more specific, for example, means every episode of The Simpsons is censored, as their production process has them write and animate episodes longer than their intended length and is then trimmed down to whatever is the standard pre-commercial episode length (and is edited down further in reruns if the episode is old enough, by as much as 4 minutes).
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Changes in games are irrelevant. Only gameplay matters.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Yes, I'm in complete affirmation that gameplay does matter. However, in the case of RPG's, excellent gameplay, while certainly of high importance, can only help them so far. Poor translation and/ or audio quality can greatly ruin the enjoyment of the game.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

There is more to games than the gameplay. Otherwise Heavy Rain would be the worst game ever.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

There is more to games than the gameplay. Otherwise Heavy Rain would be the worst game ever.

It probably is a horrific game. TLOU was pretty abysmal, too. Most good games are Mario related.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2