• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Briefly Reposted Subtitled Angel's Egg Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
I would buy the blu-ray. Cost would not matter.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
At this point, it's probably more worth it to just get the JP release. There is very little dialogue in this movie, so it's not like anyone who has seen it more than a couple of times would need subtitles anyway. It's only like $40 on there anyway. By Japanese standards, that's not too bad.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
Another Stu Levy thing. It's nice that he cares, but I would be more impressed if someone else had done this.

What little I know about the film comes from the Anime World Order review, which basically said, it's out there even by the standards of art-house movies; and I'm not a fan of those, even if it was made by Oshii. Interesting as history of fanboys and films.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Our YouTube team knows how much I personally love Angel's Egg and decided to increase awareness amongst the YouTube audience, with the hope that we can begin momentum to encourage one of the anime distributors to dig out the old rights with Japan and prepare a special release.

I understand that the professional response to this decision was one of near incredulity. You can certainly appreciate where Levy's heart lies by taking this action, though it may not be the most foresightful of deeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
I've wanted to see this movie for a while. Maybe Crunchyroll will at least give me a legal stream.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
Uh, no.

Stu didn't take down the video until after several people pointed out on Twitter that this was a Fansub. Considering that, just days earlier, they posted something to the effect of "When you go to a pirate site to watch anime and read manga, you're really hurting yourself", it's absolute garbage that they post a fansub.

Now that they were caught, Stu tries to turn it into something positive. Please, Stu. You've been in the business long enough to know what is and what is not a fansub. Don't act innocent when your pants are down.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Speaking of how to tell fansubs from official ones, is there a reason that official subs never do that Karaoke-style text where, when music is playing, each word gets bolded as its sung? Is it a legal thing? Laziness?

It's just a little thing I always loved from Fansubs, even though I know better than to watch them and hurt the official release.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Speaking of how to tell fansubs from official ones, is there a reason that official subs never do that Karaoke-style text where, when music is playing, each word gets bolded as its sung? Is it a legal thing? Laziness?

It's just a little thing I always loved from Fansubs, even though I know better than to watch them and hurt the official release.

I swear I saw those on an official subtitle track once but I might be mistaken.

I asked a Funimation guy about that at an industry panel once and he said they have asked for permission to do subtitles like that on occasion but never been given the go-ahead from the music folks. Don't know if that is industry-wide or not, however.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Some may be license (the music artist's record agency somehow may not want official translations unless it's directly from them which may cost additional money); some you'll find in here:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-08-16
braves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Uh, no.

Stu didn't take down the video until after several people pointed out on Twitter that this was a Fansub.
Yeah, exactly.

I'm disappointed in this article. A basic glance at Stu Levy's Twitter profile shows that others changed his mind on whether uploading this video was a good idea. This article makes it seem like Tokoypop uploaded the video and then decided on their own to take it down. The article totally ignores that others were calling out Tokyopop on their hypocrisy and that they responded to those complaints.

https://twitter.com/stulevy/status/709293899596967936

https://twitter.com/stulevy/status/709447083586093058

(see the entire conversation thread)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Weird that they would do this , But i was also thinking to just get the Japanese release like i would with some stuff ... But the latest Japanese release has just gone out of print in few months ago ... So that's a bit of a pain would be better if i could get it stright from Amazon.jp ...
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Fansubs hardsub the text in making the karaoke much easier to do (like you can't remove the subs). They are also super time consuming to do. My friend fansubbed for a while and it would take as long as the rest of the episode to do the karaoke. Also, DVD subs are very technically limited in what they can do with their subtitles. I think Blu ray subs are hampered by needing a lot of coding and technical knowledge (at least if I am remembering right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
What a load of hogwash. Levy admitted that he found the movie off a random YouTube channel and uploaded it to "raise awareness". He acted like he had no clue that what he was doing is illegal. This is the same guy whose company used to distribute Anime and spoke against the usage of manga piracy, he should've known better.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
Considering he's the main guy at TP, I find it hilarious that he would put the focus (read as "blame") on the "Youtube Team" and not take accountability as the owner of the company.

Sure, he likes Angel's Egg, but the actions don't justify the means. Write a proper review about it, do a video segment where he uses (properly cited) video clips, and give credit where credit is due. Even if it's subs by a fansubber, they didn't give credit to ANYONE involved in making that video.

I loved TokyoPop as a kid and they were a major factor in the growth of the anime industry in the USA/CA/English Speaking world, but it's a shame where it's going.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
This was simply inane & ridiculous, especially coming from a man & company that should know way better. In fact, Stu Levy's response to all of this suddenly makes me realize that Kodansha pulling every single manga license it gave TokyoPop years ago, which helped (essentially) kill it off back in 2011, may not have been as shocking & mysterious, after all.

As others mentioned, there were plenty of ways for Levy to promote Angel's Egg, but uploading a fansub he found elsewhere on YouTube on his company's page is the dumbest way to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3