• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakuon!! Manga to Bundle 2nd Original Anime DVD in December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
For the record, there's no such thing as a Ducati 399 Panigale S. Her bike is an 1199 Panigale S with a 400 cc engine swapped into it (so she can legally ride it).
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
Loved this thing when it aired. Looking forward to this OVA. (Primarily because it focuses on best girl)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I hope we get the chapter of futa onsa, that's the most fun one by far.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Was excited for new OVA then saw what it was about now I'm sad.

RocketOtter wrote:
Loved this thing when it aired. Looking forward to this OVA. (Primarily because it focuses on best girl)

Wow someone actually likes Hijiri and above Raimu and Rin, I'm speechless. Thought she was easily the worst thing about the series but each to their own.
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
For the record, there's no such thing as a Ducati 399 Panigale S. Her bike is an 1199 Panigale S with a 400 cc engine swapped into it (so she can legally ride it).

I think its a typo mistake from the official site itself, hard to believe nobody double checked for that kind of mistake in an announcement.
A 400cc engine (from a 400 SuperSport?) would be near impossible to swap in the Panigale, due to the frameless architecture the original engine block acts as a backbone (that connects to the airbox for the front-end and to the swing arm for the rear).
On a normal bike with a frame you can make custom mounts to fit other engines, you can't on this one.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:
Banken wrote:

I think its a typo mistake from the official site itself, hard to believe nobody double checked for that kind of mistake in an announcement.
A 400cc engine (from a 400 SuperSport?) would be near impossible to swap in the Panigale, due to the frameless architecture the original engine block acts as a backbone (that connects to the airbox for the front-end and to the swing arm for the rear).
On a normal bike with a frame you can make custom mounts to fit other engines, you can't on this one.

Never underestimate the resources of the Minowa family... they did make those engine freezers.

You could probably fab up some brackets to make up for the fact that the engine is a stressed member (which IIRC isn't that rare). For all we know, the whole engine might be custom-made. Or you could have a custom crankshaft with 1/3rd the stroke made, and that would work just fine. You'd need to change the computer settings/carb jetting, though... It would also rev really well...
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Custom brackets won't be enough, any non-stressed swapped engine would crack and break under the load, that would require creating a whole bespoke engine block.
Or run the engine on only one cylinder (like the popular supermono conversions), it would still be a 600cc.
Swapping in a custom (and illegal) 400cc engine to simply make it legally ridable for her age? Thats silly, especially for a semi-realistic manga, they need to maintain a minimal amount of realism/credibility.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:
Custom brackets won't be enough, any non-stressed swapped engine would crack and break under the load, that would require creating a whole bespoke engine block.
Or run the engine on only one cylinder (like the popular supermono conversions), it would still be a 600cc.
Swapping in a custom (and illegal) 400cc engine to simply make it legally ridable for her age? Thats silly, especially for a semi-realistic manga, they need to maintain a minimal amount of realism/credibility.

I don't see why, as long as the new engine block isn't stressed.

Again, you could have a custom crank made for a couple thousand dollars that de-strokes the engine by 2/3rds, which would give you almost exactly 399 ccs.

It's a matter of fact that her Panigale has a 400-cc engine. And apparently she can't pick it up, either... Which is weird since in theory the CB400 she took her license exam on should be heavier....
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
You can't simply throw in a few custom brackets and a custom made crankcase/block to replace an engine that has been developed and tested with a very specific lateral/overall flexibility. Research and engineering alone would cost more than a few thousand bucks.
And for sure a Panigale is much lighter than a Super Four.
Well, enough of tech stuff, it just shows the author has little knowledge about motorcycles or doesn't care about realism, I love motorcycles and mangas/anime but I hate Bakuon for many reasons, adding a sidecar to a 750SS wasn't enough of a sacrilege... .
Just make her ride a damn Scrambler 400, a Monster 400 or a SS400!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1