• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, May 23-29

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucio542

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
168k in The first week? Shocked
SpookyPie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
Holy those are some pretty good sales all around for new shows/movies. I still really hope we get a theater release of the Girls Und Panzer movie in the west. Hopefully we might even see another season in the future.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Well played GuP. Well played. No Mr. Osomination this time. Sad Final-Punch Man. Go Fafner and VD!
dark13

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
Alright nice going IBO pretty good numbers Smile
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
sales chart wrote:
4 - KonoSuba – God’s blessing on this wonderful world!! Blu-ray Limited Edition Vol. 3 7,375

And the momentum is still strong. As it should be.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
Man, GuP TV sold pretty okay in the 35-40k range, but the movie should top 170k+ with ease, making it one of the top selling anime films ever. There's no excuse to not milk it like they've done with every other franchise that's sold like that.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
And with that, Rakudai/Chivalry of a Failed Knight sells a consistent average of 2.1k+ on the first week per volume. That brings the total to 12k+ BDs the show sold.

Now to hope the LN gets licenced here in the West.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...but the movie should top 170k+ with ease, making it one of the top selling anime films ever.

Spirited Away has sold 2.4 million discs and counting so GuP has still a lot of ground to cover.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
Holy crap Garupan The Movie's Blu-ray sales are insane. I really need to watch it already. Though I think I might re-watch the series first. Even though I love the series it's actually kind of a shame Love Live had to come out first. Had it not broken all those records and set the bar way too high Garupan would've been able to lay claim to the title of the most successful late night anime series ever.

Still, the fact that two movies released in the same year managed to trounce the previous record holder is good news for the industry. Sure it has its flaws (The fact that seemingly every season has at least one ecchi magic academy show for one) but all in all I'd say the industry's in the best shape it has been in a while.

Does Garupan also have mainstream success like Love Live (And to a lesser extent Madoka and K-On) does? Surely with those sales it has some level of success outside the usual crowd of adult male otaku.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
And with that, Rakudai/Chivalry of a Failed Knight sells a consistent average of 2.1k+ on the first week per volume. That brings the total to 12k+ BDs the show sold.

Now to hope the LN gets licenced here in the West.

And I was thinking about going to find out what it averaged. Laughing

I'm looking forward to when it gets a disc release in Australia, as I'll definitely be buying it. And, if for some reason it doesn't, then I'll import from the US.

I'm also hoping the LN series gets licensed in the west.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, only 30k behind the Love Live! movie's first week sales. Very impressive! I liked the series so will look out for the movie.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
Those Doukyuusei sales are excellent! Really happy to see this work succeeding, because it deserves it. With those sale numbers though does that make it the best selling BL animated movie so far?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Whoa! Surprised The film of Girls und Panzer has dominated the chart by a landslide. Osomatsu-san on its own rite is also faring well.
Kidkidd

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
So how long until they confirm a season 2. I feel like they mentioned the pro leagues and university teams in the movie to set something like that up. I don't think any of our people are seniors, can they make it to the world championship while keeping all our main cast in the high school setting? I feel like the worst thing to do to this series would be to pull a cinderella girls/sunshine just to keep it going. I need more yukari in my life.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
KidKidd wrote:
I feel like the worst thing to do to this series would be to pull a cinderella girls/sunshine just to keep it going. I need more yukari in my life.

I'm honestly not sure if it would be better to move to university and maintain the "all stars" mechanic of the movie or maintain the "rivalries" of the tv series.

EDIT: Considering the US is in Japan's BD region and the KNOWN market for anime in the US, I'm really surprised Japan doesn't put subs on more of their BDs. I mean, I get that they license distribution out, but if they're working so hard to stop reverse-importation, you think they'd do the minimal effort to get a few extra sales on the front end for things like the GaruPan film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2