Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Keith Stanfield


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RoverTX



Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 417
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Possibly a black L, kind of cool! Diversity that doesn't screw with the actual plot, imagine that!

I don't get why everything either has to be "Americanized" ie white washed, or a character's background rewritten to fit one random ethnic group that the marketing team said needs to be in the movie, plot be damned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knight-Hart



Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 266
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I really hope he isn't L.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanteikingdomkey
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 1847
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
After getting so many live action Ls that are right on the mark adaption wise (that are effective to wildly different degrees). I would like to see a wildly different/ unique compared to the original.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mr.Shonen



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 255
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool, so now I can get into petty facebook/twitter fights with black anime/comic fans about how they're blackwashing/appropriating Japanese culture so something can appeal to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1496
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Wolff is obviously a version of Light, and I guess Qualley is going to be a version of Misa. Will have to see who Stanfield's character will be before making an opinion. Right now I'm only upset that Netflix has the rights - this movie is going to BOMB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knight-Hart



Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 266
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
After getting so many live action Ls that are right on the mark adaption wise (that are effective to wildly different degrees). I would like to see a wildly different/ unique compared to the original.


But those are Japanese films, movies that people watching the Netflix produced version of Death Note aren't likely to have seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Dcast



Joined: 07 Nov 2014
Posts: 635
Location: 'Straiya
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait, NETFLIX is producing it now? SIGN ME UP! Worries dispelled!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1816
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
For a nano second, I thought it said Keifer Sutherland. O.o

But this looks like great casting. My only worry is that this won't have much of a chance in theaters. If Netflix really wants to be taken seriously as a film studio, they would release them exclusively to theaters before streaming.

Also I saw Margaret Qualley in Nice Guys recently, and I have full confidence that she could pull off Misa (or Misa's equivalent).


Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hannish Lightning



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 376
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Possibly a black L, kind of cool! Diversity that doesn't screw with the actual plot, imagine that!

I don't get why everything either has to be "Americanized" ie white washed, or a character's background rewritten to fit one random ethnic group that the marketing team said needs to be in the movie, plot be damned.


L isnt black. It's funny how people complain when a character is whitewashed but you think it's great when a character is black washed. If he is L though I have no intention of watching this.


{Edit}: I removed your little rude insult. Make your point without such comments or don't post at all ~ Psycho 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Razor/Edge



Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Posts: 606
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Wait, NETFLIX is producing it now? SIGN ME UP! Worries dispelled!

I had missed the Netflix news as well. However, that does nothing to dispel my worries. While Netflix does seem to have a good track record, it doesn't make them immune to bombs and total failure. They are letting Adam Sadler make movies for them after all, and last time I checked Ridiculous Six is a 0% on Rotten Tomato. I wouldn't let this being on Netflix suddenly make all the worries go away. But at least this way, we won't have to worry about box office numbers, and really word of mouth and the Netflix rating system is the only way we'll know how it does, since Netflix doesn't reveal streaming numbers for individual movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thread_Alchemist



Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping that the plot is something new. The premise of the manga leaves enough room that there could be any number of Deathnotes in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#857903



Joined: 11 Jun 2016
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
I really hope that he is doing the voice of one of the shinigamis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Utsuro no Hako



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 901
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
L isnt black. It's funny how people complain when a character is whitewashed but you think it's great when a character is black washed.


Well yeah. Hollywood has serious problems with diversity. Decisions that decrease diversity are bad. Decisions that increase diversity are good. What's so hard to comprehend about that?

Quote:
If he is L though I have no intention of watching this.


Well isn't that special?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3448
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
I would usually be against something like this, but I see no reason to be here. After all, this is the american version of Death Note, they can use whatever races they want. If he is L, well as long as he can adopt Ls weird traits then good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
maxs2d2ace



Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
Possibly a black L, kind of cool! Diversity that doesn't screw with the actual plot, imagine that!

I don't get why everything either has to be "Americanized" ie white washed, or a character's background rewritten to fit one random ethnic group that the marketing team said needs to be in the movie, plot be damned.


L isnt black. It's funny how people complain when a character is whitewashed but you think it's great when a character is black washed. If he is L though I have no intention of watching this.


We don't like whitewashing because Hollywood has a long history of it. African, Mexican, Asian and other minorities are barely focused upon in Hollywood. The only acting jobs minorities usually get in movies are that of stereotypes. Hollywood a few years back(and still to this day) only gave leading rolls to white people because that is the target audience that they were trying to market too(i.e Gods of Egypt).
But this is 2016, a year when people are really coming together to try and make things equally better for everybody. Women are getting a lot more Leading rolls in film. Gay people are finally getting accepted by the public. And Black people are finally getting more Movies and games focused around them. In fact just this year 3 tipple"A" companies announced that an African male is the leading protagonist. Mafia 3, Watch dogs 2, and Battlefield 1(well from the box art) all have a Black protagonist in the leading roll. We are currently living in a time where you shouldn't look at a person skin,gender, or sexually and say "i cant relate to them because they are of a different set of people".
So when people like you say " I have no intention of watching this because of this race..ect" you make me sick.


{Edit}: Report other users for their rude behavior. Do not respond with equally rude comments yourself. ~ Psycho 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group