• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus 'Looks Into' Releasing Japanese Voice Track as DLC for Persona 5

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Good luck, ATLUS. Just so you know, I'd pay.
Gray.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
if the problem were licensing issues, they could just come out and say it.
if now they're "looking into", they are probably just being stubborn and lazy about not doing it in the first place.
i mean how hard can it be?

I love the japanese cast in this game, if there's no Japanese audio i'm probably not buying it anymore.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Gray Fullbuster wrote:
if now they're "looking into", they are probably just being stubborn and lazy about not doing it in the first place.

I love the japanese cast in this game, if there's no Japanese audio i'm probably not buying it anymore.
so you're going to skip out on what may be a really good game? and it's over something minor like the lack of Japanese voice track?
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
something like this should not be DLC
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
something like this should not be DLC

This is true but I'm not going to argue if it's free DLC like in other games that does this. If we have to pay for it....then, I'll be upset but I'll still get it regardless. At least this is a step in the right direction for those of us who are concerned.

We have to keep in mind that not everyone likes English dubs so it caters to both parties in the end. Though, if it doesn't pull through, people (like myself) will begin to bitch again. <_<
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I prefer the Japanese voices, but I won't skip this game just because it is dubbed. I enjoyed P3 and P4 too much to skip P5.
Gray.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Gray Fullbuster wrote:

so you're going to skip out on what may be a really good game? and it's over something minor like the lack of Japanese voice track?

Yes, because i wanna play listening to Mizuki Nana, Aoi Yuuki, Miyano Mamoru, Tomokazu Sugita, Satou Rina talking.
i dont watch anime with english dubs, why should i play a game with anime features with english dubs?

also february 2017 will have lots of other games to play.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
i am honestly so confused as to why people are so indignant about the lack of a japanese voice track (in a game series that has never, in the games I've played, featured one) that they're willing to boycott a perfectly good game.

that kind of 'boycotting' does zero good and in fact harms the localization industry far more than it does any good. dear lord.
Gray.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
i am honestly so confused as to why people are so indignant about the lack of a japanese voice track (in a game series that has never, in the games I've played, featured one) that they're willing to boycott a perfectly good game.

that kind of 'boycotting' does zero good and in fact harms the localization industry far more than it does any good. dear lord.

Back in the PS2 there were ways to download P3 and P4 with japanese audio but still translated in english.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Gray Fullbuster wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:

Back in the PS2 there were ways to download P3 and P4 with japanese audio but still translated in english.

and i doubt very much any of those were in any way sanctioned by atlus or atlus usa.

my point is that the persona games have never had dual audio in the past so... why are people reacting to not getting something they've never had with this amount of anger?
BlueOla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:

and i doubt very much any of those were in any way sanctioned by atlus or atlus usa.

my point is that the persona games have never had dual audio in the past so... why are people reacting to not getting something they've never had with this amount of anger?

Because it has become a standard in the JRPG industry, even if Persona hasn't awakened to it yet. And the Japanese cast is great, what's wrong with wanting to hear them and have the text in English? It's personal preference and I don't see why this is so much of an issue for Atlus.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
P3 and P4 were on PS2, and there really wasn't that much space for dual-audio. On a BD there's plenty of room. We're angry because it's possible now. It's been possible ever since PS3. "There's not enough room on a DVD for two audio tracks" is different then "There's room for two audio tracks but you're only getting one anyway". Look, I don't want English dubs. Ever. I want the original voices. I will not buy without the original voices. If P5 has low sales and they decide not to license any more P games because of it, I won't care, because to me an English dub only version is the same as no localized version at all.

Gray. wrote:
Yes, because i wanna play listening to Mizuki Nana, Aoi Yuuki, Miyano Mamoru, Tomokazu Sugita, Satou Rina talking.
i dont watch anime with english dubs, why should i play a game with anime features with english dubs?

My lord, that cast in amazing. Mizuki Nana alone would have sold me on it, but Aoi Yuuki? Tomokazu Sugita? I love those guys.

{Edit}: I removed your inappropriate and OT comment comparing the lack of a particular dub track to black people never having freedom and not knowing better. Don't make that kind of trollish comment again. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by DmonHiro on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
鳴神5000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:

What's there to be confused about? They just like well known voice actors and it supports the Japanese industry. You have to remember westerners aren't Atlas's priority when it comes to Japanese games right? Games like this as you should well know are niche in the west and hang by thread when being released there. Also the Japanese voice actors are usually far more well known than the dubs this game has an all star cast here in Japan. They just want a Japanese experience without having to westernize the game. (please note that I haven't lived in the US in 4 years, Currently I live in Saitama Prefecture in Japan.) so dubs could have come a long way but from what I remember English dubs usually made the characters sound like they where 40 year olds and it took away from the immersion. But anyway this is great news if the western game gets dual audio I may double dip and reverse import the US version. Also please excuse my grammar as I don't type in English much anymore. I just wanted to give my opinion.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Gray. wrote:

The Japanese dub of the game require additional license money to be used for a localization, pretty much always all the time. This extra cost either goes into the overall price of the game, or it could be a DLC so only people who wants it need to pay for it. It's usually not a case of they "can't" but almost always they "can't justify the price."
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I bet that "looking into it" is just like Sega Europe's "looking into it".
It's funny how you have smaller companies like NISA and IF including dual audio and opening European branches while an older and bigger one like Atlus fails at both.

yurigasaki wrote:
what's 'irrational' imo is boycotting an entire game -- to the point of saying a game without japanese audio is equivalent to an unlocalized game -- for a feature that you aren't even required to use. just turn off the voice track. simple.

Here's the thing: you can't force people to buy something that they dislike, feel uncomfortable with or just don't want to buy.
If a lack of Japanese audio turns them away from forking over the money, they're in their right.

Personally, just by concept, hearing English voices call Japanese names in a Japanese setting feels awkward to me.

omoikane wrote:
This extra cost either goes into the overall price of the game, or it could be a DLC so only people who wants it need to pay for it. It's usually not a case of they "can't" but almost always they "can't justify the price."

Then how can, for instance, the Atelier series justify it when they're a smaller series with a way way smaller playerbase?
If there's a Japanese voiced series that is guaranteed to sell truckloads of copies, enough to pay off licensing costs comfortably, it's Persona.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6