• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage Single Sets Franchise Record

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While the Love Live! The School Idol Movie's "SUNNY DAY SONG"/"?←Heartbeat" single sold more last July,

In the linked article it says 86k, when the Cinderella Girls single sold 89k.

Quote:
The single is also the second single by voice cast members under their characters' names to rank #1 on the weekly chart,

This is a confusing line because it's already the second single by voice cast members that ranked #1 in the weekly singles chart in IDOLM@STER. There are several others...

It's second in terms of weekly sales ever for a character single. Please translate correctly.
abaone94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Sunny Day Song only sold 86,000 on its first week.

Bokutachi wa Hitotsu no Hikari and MOMENT RING are the ones that sold higher, both at 96,000 on its first week but neither occupies the 1st position.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-20/love-live-film-puts-3-cd-singles-in-top-10-in-the-same-week/.90697

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-08/love-live-final-single-ranks-no.2-with-96479-sold-in-1st-week/.99532

In any case, Hi-Fi Days actually sold more than HTT's Go! Go! Maniac - which is around 81,000 copies on its opening week - despite both ranking at #1. Quite an achievement.
captain_amo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Are you guys starting a W@R?

Still, one of the reasons "Cute jewelries! 003" and this single ranked to record is probably to 4th LIVE's balloting serial code.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
captain_amo wrote:

Still, one of the reasons "Cute jewelries! 003" and this single ranked to record is probably to 4th LIVE's balloting serial code.

Pretty much anything that sells this high can be linked to this really. Doesn't surprise me it sold this many since I saw a tweet cap of a japanese person blowing a mind blowing 230k yen on cd's of it.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
captain_amo wrote:

Pretty much anything that sells this high can be linked to this really. Doesn't surprise me it sold this many since I saw a tweet cap of a japanese person blowing a mind blowing 230k yen on cd's of it.

This is where ANN editors need to do their homework.

It's perfectly legitimate for coupons to be included with CD's/videos or there to be high value editions (e.g. Maon Kurosaki's X-Encounter CD single special edition with a blu-ray of a concert), but that should be noted in the original ANN article.
Ejc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
You should add a caveat stating that the sales of this Idolmaster single was heavily doped with the 4th Cinderella Girls live concert event ticket serial application code.

This also highlights how an Idolmaster CD selling 89,000 can rank #1 in a week, while a Love Live! CD selling 96,000 ranks #2, because it actually had legitimate competition, which is why I think it's silly to make such a big deal of #1 weekly rankings or anything.

Now here are the Top 10 selling Character song singles in terms of 1st week sales, with notes to include any sales doping.

Rank / 1st week sales / Cumulative sales / # Weeks charted / CD Title & Artist / Sales doping notes
*1 96,479 135,107 13 MOMENT RING by μ's ← Mobile game serial code
*2 96,150 126,973 26 僕たちはひとつの光/Future style by μ's/1年生 ← Nothing
*3 89,176 *89,186 *1 THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS STARLIGHT MASTER 03 ハイファイ☆デイズ ← 4th Cinderella Girls live concert event ticket serial application code
*4 87,397 136,679 26 NO,Thank You! by 放課後ティータイム ← Nothing
*5 86,034 126,873 23 SUNNY DAY SONG/?←HEARTBEAT by μ's/3年生 ← Nothing
*6 85,140 131,709 26 Utauyo!!MIRACLE by 放課後ティータイム ← Nothing
*7 83,400 148,521 35 GO! GO! MANIAC by 放課後ティータイム ← Nothing
*8 82,322 132,991 24 Angelic Angel/Hello,星を数えて by μ's/2年生 ← Nothing
*9 76,558 130,941 32 Listen!! by 放課後ティータイム ← Nothing
10 69,633 *98,468 19 HEART to HEART! by μ's ← Mobile game serial code

What conclusions can be drawn here?

● A mobile game serial code for μ's doesn't make much of a difference anymore since MOMENT RING barely sold higher than Angelic Angel (135,107 vs 132,991), which had no bonuses bundled.
● Houkago Tea Time was an incredible selling machine, having achieved this much sales with no bonuses bundled. It is surprising how they did not make it to the invitation only New Year Eve NHK Kouhaku, with such monstrous sales and grossing 1.9 billion yen at the Movie Box Office.
● This Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Starlight Master single had so many repeat buyers, because when you look at the most recent Starlight Master single without any bonuses bundled, which was Snow Wings (Tulip had an event ticket bundled as well), then we see that Snow Wings sold 19,654 in week 1 vs 89,176 for Hi-fi☆Days in week 1. Hi-fi☆Days sold 4.5 times higher because of this 4th Cinderella Girls live concert event ticket serial application code.

Now just imagine how much higher 僕たちはひとつの光 would've sold if it had the μ's Final Live concert event ticket serial application code bundled on it? See how much the Love Live! Movie BDs (235,000+) ended up selling, and factor in the much cheaper price of a CD, and you'll get your answer. Easy platinum disc certification (>250,000 shipped copies, shipped copies is always >= sold copies), and yet it would've still ranked #2, since NMB48 sold 371,276 in week 1. See how laughable it is to hype up the weekly ranking?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1