• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Mario Adventures Graphic Novel Listed From Viz Media

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading this in Nintendo Power as a kid. Glad to see it's finally being released in trade paperback form in the U.S.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!!

Now I want a copy!
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I've never read this in my life, but it does look like fun. Might get it just for the hell of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that readers of newer generations will have a chance to read this Super Mario comic from the early years of Nintendo Power! Smile
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
More specifically, it basically goes through Super Mario World. And somewhere in there the crew have a pit stop at a village of Yoshi.

Definitely picking this up eventually. One of my childhood regrets is not ordering the original printed versions of this and the LoZ: LttP series back when Nintendo Power offered them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Yay. Now all they need is the Star Fox and Metroid manga.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I read this as a kid and really liked it!!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't get Nintendo Power until the Gamecube era so I missed out on this, and was bummed when I found out about it through Nostalgia Critic who talked about how cool it was (especially after the bad movie and plain weird cartoon) and then found the only copy of a trade online was going for like $500. Glad Viz is bringing it back in print, I'll totally pick this up.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
take my love, my anger AND ALL OF MONEY!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
More specifically, it basically goes through Super Mario World. And somewhere in there the crew have a pit stop at a village of Yoshi.

Definitely picking this up eventually. One of my childhood regrets is not ordering the original printed versions of this and the LoZ: LttP series back when Nintendo Power offered them.

Didn't this comic continue to adapt Mario games all the way up to the present day? I could've sworn I saw it cover Super Paper Mario, of all things. Or is this something different than Super Mario-kun?

doctordoom85 wrote:
Yeah, I didn't get Nintendo Power until the Gamecube era so I missed out on this, and was bummed when I found out about it through Nostalgia Critic who talked about how cool it was (especially after the bad movie and plain weird cartoon) and then found the only copy of a trade online was going for like $500. Glad Viz is bringing it back in print, I'll totally pick this up.

I also didn't read Nintendo Power until the Gamecube era, around the time of the "Who are you?" campaign. I didn't know the magazine had these neat things in it until later.
CureCosmos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
AAAAAAAAA I'm so happy! I never really got to read this comic (I know there's scans online, it's just not quite the same..), so I'm super happy!!

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Didn't this comic continue to adapt Mario games all the way up to the present day? I could've sworn I saw it cover Super Paper Mario, of all things. Or is this something different than Super Mario-kun?

It seems you're a little mixed-up. The comic here isn't Super Mario-kun, it's just Super Mario Adventures; however Super Mario-kun DOES cover multiple Mario games, but is in Japanese and isn't officially translated as far as I know (I HOPE IT GETS PICKED UP TOO)
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
I hope they license Super Mario-kun sometime in the future.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
I hope they license Super Mario-kun sometime in the future.

Super Mario-kun's art style is just too zany though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:35 am Reply with quote
CureCosmos wrote:
It seems you're a little mixed-up. The comic here isn't Super Mario-kun, it's just Super Mario Adventures; however Super Mario-kun DOES cover multiple Mario games, but is in Japanese and isn't officially translated as far as I know (I HOPE IT GETS PICKED UP TOO)

Aw, darn. Okay then. I didn't know there were two different series. I always thought Super Mario Adventures and Super Mario-kun were the same thing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, last time I thought of this was when Doug Walker (AKA the Nostalgia Critic) did a video gushing about it being the best adaptation of Mario he's seen.

Personally I remember digging Ishinomori's Zelda comic a bit more but this was more of a zany action/comedy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1