• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Impressions: Attack on Titan (PS4)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
This game is also out on Xbox One and Steam. It's not just a Playstation game.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
I've heard that the game does become more difficult later on from other players, but that's going to be hard to tell based on first impressions alone.

As someone who isn't even playing the game right now, it's not entirely clear if the person writing the article has played enough to either confirm or deny those opinions, so I'm left waiting for another take on the subject.

Either way, I wasn't expecting the game to skip adapting the anime's storyline and do its own thing. They do show a little post-anime material in previews, but I imagine that's also from a later point in the game.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll be waiting for further reviews of this game. A big concern I've had is that combating Titans would end up being too easy, which would go against the the story's impression that Titans are always very dangerous, and casualty rates tend to be on the high side. The lack of an English dub is also a disappointment, especially since I would think that Attack on Titan is big enough that Koei Tecmo could justify the cost.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The negative reviews on Steam cite lack of mouse support, poor keyboard controls, graphics issues, and frequent crashes. When it comes to PC ports, Koei Tecmo has a very poor track record; contrast with other Japanese publishers like Marvelous (via its XSEED subsidiary) and Idea Factory.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
The negative reviews on Steam cite lack of mouse support, poor keyboard controls, graphics issues, and frequent crashes. When it comes to PC ports, Koei Tecmo has a very poor track record; contrast with other Japanese publishers like Marvelous (via its XSEED subsidiary) and Idea Factory.

The only apparent "graphics issue" appears to be people wanting higher resolutions.

But I honestly can't see why anyone would want to play these games with a mouse and keyboard. In this genre, the idea itself sounds weird to me, but it's admittedly going to remain a valid complaint on paper.

As for the crashes, I don't suppose they're going to be universal nor necessarily game-breaking. Just business as usual. Some people will be irritated and refund the game for it, while others won't experience them at all or barely so and won't mind. I doubt the players who have given the game more positive reviews are masochists, so the title must run well enough on their systems.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:

The only apparent "graphics issue" appears to be people wanting higher resolutions.

But I honestly can't see why anyone would want to play these games with a mouse and keyboard. In this genre, the idea itself sounds weird to me, but it's admittedly going to remain a valid complaint on paper.

As for the crashes, I don't suppose they're going to be universal nor necessarily game-breaking. Just business as usual. Some people will be irritated and refund the game for it, while others won't experience them at all or barely so and won't mind. I doubt the players who have given the game more positive reviews are masochists, so the title must run well enough on their systems.

lack of arbitrary resolutions IS a serious issue, since it's simple to implement and many people have monitors with nonstandard aspect ratios. Also performance in their games is consistently awful on PC, with all sorts of weird framedrops and crashes. I'll never buy a game on PC from them again.

It just shows how little Tecmo Koei about the platform and they don't seem to have improved here. It's a shame because I really like their games, but they clearly don't want my money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll agree to disagree since I haven't had such terrible experiences with their games.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

Spoken like a true console player. People that grew up playing on PC's use mouse and keyboard. People that grew up playing console systems use controllers. Game type doesn't matter.

I have tried using a controller on some Playstation games, but if it is a fast paced game, I am utterly lost. Dead man walking.
methedemon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Fun game for couple of hours but the repetitiveness is insane. I am still going to finish it but I would only recommend for big fans of the series (like me). Omega Force's games have always been repetitive but games like Dynasty Warriors at least have huge amount of characters to use and several different storylines. The games they make based on specific anime like Arslan and now Attack on Titan feel WAY too limited, not enough variety in the missions structures, the enemies, characters or weapons.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Warriors games tend to have tons of content but become repetitive.

It was funny watching Outside Xbox and seeing the hosts try to explain the premise to each other.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
jroa wrote:

Spoken like a true console player. People that grew up playing on PC's use mouse and keyboard. People that grew up playing console systems use controllers. Game type doesn't matter.

I have tried using a controller on some Playstation games, but if it is a fast paced game, I am utterly lost. Dead man walking.

I have a friend who's a dyed in the wool PC gamer. He tried playing Doom on the Xbone and was lost, while he blazed through it on PC. Meanwhile I didn't have those issues.
Xshinobi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Fatt_One wrote:

lack of arbitrary resolutions IS a serious issue, since it's simple to implement and many people have monitors with nonstandard aspect ratios. Also performance in their games is consistently awful on PC, with all sorts of weird framedrops and crashes. I'll never buy a game on PC from them again.

It just shows how little Tecmo Koei about the platform and they don't seem to have improved here. It's a shame because I really like their games, but they clearly don't want my money.

It is insane that in 2016 that the highest resolution that a dev is willing to support is 1080p. I'm done supporting devs that can't be bothered to put in the effort. Every Koei Tecmo PC port is terrible and seem to have little interest in improving that so I have very little interest in giving them money.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Am shocked by the negativity.....I guess....

I have the Steam version and it runs perfectly at 1080p. Been using my Xbox pad as expected. GFX settings seems to give full control over textures, shadows, Ambient Occ, Anti-Aliasing.

I can't stop drooling over how everything is looking so far. The opening training mission with everyone in the forest was such a rush - you are under a time limit and all of the other characters are zipping around alongside you & it just feels epic and like the world is appropriately populated. The expedition mode's farm & sunset....I did a freaking double-take when it loaded in.

No crashes so far, but then I was a smartypants and kept Windows 7~ Using a Radeon card with 2GBS of GDDR5 and a 6-core AMD CPU.

It being Attack on Titan, I have only two prerequisites for enjoying a game like this: the sense of speed & accuracy is there, and the epic sense of scale and brutality is intact. I have no complaints so far - the sense of speed when zipping through the air is crazy. 100% happy with my purchase and their replication of the story thus far & the open expedition mode (have not played online yet).

I'm still trying to get better at timing my cuts, but I so recall that on Humanity in Chains (3DS game), cuts were set up to have a wider range of accuracy if you first incapacitated the titan. Depending on where you cut, different approaches & angles would make it easier to hit the nape of their necks. Variants of titans or large groups of them would mean you have to assess which limb is safe and who of your party needed to act as a decoy to draw away the extras. It seems Wings of Freedom has most of that, but I need to experiment some more.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
well i haven't had any problems running it.

though i can't say i've been spending much time in it.

after the initial new game awe wore off i got bored pretty fast.

it's okay for a 10-15 minute play session, but this game is so easy it's ridiculous.

I haven't died yet or even come close to it, there's no sense of danger at all. Even when you're caught you just mash a button and bam you're out.

The only time i had trouble so far was when playing with armin, but that's because i wanted to kill everything myself and he sucks at that. After using his order command and targeting the nape they always die the first time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1