• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda to Editor: 'Die for One Piece'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
oh,come on,I was going to make a Togashi joke,but the article already took care of it...
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This article made me realize that the manga industry is so stressful. I worry more about manga artists even more now. 3 hours of sleep?? Holy crap man. That's such little sleep. I would hate to see an artist work him/herself to death just to please their fans. The final sentence at the end of the article said it all. "Please take some rest Oda. Your fans will understand." And I agree. This is so sad how many hours they get to rest.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
oh,come on,I was going to make a Togashi joke,but the article already took care of it...

What's Togashi???
Deynard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

What's Togashi???

You have everything in article, just read.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, Japan has a better work-life balance than the U.S. or South Korea, so the notion of overwork must be over exaggerated.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Not sure whether it is good or bad when Kotaku beats ANN to this news.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I really hate this idea, I seriously don't like this work ethic that makes people martyrs, they make people die while working. Let artists work at their pace, let them sleep and think and enjoy drawing manga, not suffering manga. I don't say that Oda is a fool or something, but the industry needs to give their artists time to live for themselves more, I think that can only improve their work.

The Togashi thing is actually from Yu Yu Hakusho, he decided at some point that he didn't want to draw that manga anymore because he didn't feel inspiration from it anymore, he said so in an interview. In most cases, that's probably what has happened in a lot of HxH hiatus, in the sense that he takes his time to narrate the story better, not that he doesn't want to do it anymore; except for the back pains and back surgery he had in 2015.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
When I read the title I expected a Die Hard joke.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
eh i usually love long running manga, but my patience with one piece has been wearing.

I'd rather he just get it over with sooner, he's just been rehashing old arcs ever since the time skip.
cddb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
If Oda actually sleeps for only 3 hours total on any kind of regular basis, he should take a break from manga so SCIENTISTS CAN STUDY HIM, because he must have some extremely rare condition allowing him to function on no sleep. So, either he has a rare brain condition or he's totally exaggerating; something tells me it's the latter............ Surprised
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oda, you're amazing, but please sleep more than three hours a night. The fans will understand.

I agree! I'm surprised Oda is still hardworking and barely takes any days off, despite getting only three hours of sleep each night.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I did the math. One Piece currently has 842 chapters in print, and it is 65% done apparently. Multiplying 842 with 100 and then dividing by 65 reveals that One Piece is going to have - drumroll please - approximately 1,295 chapters!
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought so it took that much effort, jeez Everytime I see people be like "not another break" i can't stand it knowing this now, the man only sleep 3 hours.. thats terrible for the body and his health.

Oda senpai keep strong and finish this masterpiece of a manga you have created
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
if this guy only sleeps 3hrs a day i say somebody buy an elephant tranq gun and fire a round on his butt cheek(cause if MGS has taught me anything its that tranqs to the face and butt are instant nap time)

but yeah thats not good. I'm glad he aint to kentaro who's probably playing idolmaster when he should be working on his magnum opus but this is just crazy.

Does he live with family or have some really close friends that can slip some sleeping pills in his drink and then ship him off to Hawaii or the Caribbean for some R and R(the fans will understand).
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Oda and One Piece staff may work tireless to produce One Piece, but I don't think that would make the series any better. In fact, I say that Oda's work schedule has diminished the quality of One Piece rather than enhanced it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4