• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psychic School Wars BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
No wonder I didn't recognize this, it's a movie.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation contracted this English dub out to NYAV Post...

Actually, I believe it was Anime Limited UK that contracted NYAV Post to dub this film. It was released in the UK with this dub back in May. I think FUNimation just kept this dub instead of redubbing it. The same thing happened with the dub of Makoto Shinkai's Your Name., for better or for worse.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
I don't remember to much about the plot of this movie other than finding it underwhelming. But I very much remember it's aping of Shinkai's visual style, but with no real idea of what makes that style look good in the first place. Shinkai likes cherry blossom petals, so let's put cherry blossom petals flying through the air everywhere, in as many scenes as possible, even if there isn't a cherry tree in sight. Same with just about every other effect. Just overuse with no sense at all about its use, basically visual effects vomit. I found that very amateurish.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I'll definitely give you that. The cherry blossom effects were a bit overkill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched this film on funi's site yesterday and while I don't think it's awful, I do find it visually odd. There's a lot of fluid character motions but the shots don't seem to flow with them and really clashes. I found myself struggling to ground myself in what I was watching/hearing throughout a lot of the first half.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought this movie was a colossal mess, a very beautiful but totally incoherent mess. I was surprised the animation and art only got a B+, they seemed pretty much perfect to me, meanwhile I lost track of the story about 10-20 minutes in because the direction was so awful, I just turned my brain off for the rest of it only to constantly be weirded out more and more as the film went on (the finale at the swimming pool, what the hell was that?) It's been a while since I've seen it, but the film made me quite nauseous sitting through it, doubt I could muster the strength for a rewatch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I believe it was Anime Limited UK that contracted NYAV Post to dub this film. It was released in the UK with this dub back in May. I think FUNimation just kept this dub instead of redubbing it. The same thing happened with the dub of Makoto Shinkai's Your Name., for better or for worse.

You are right. I dont know how ANN came up with this information. Anime Limited made the dub possible. Funimation only announced later this year it had licensed it as well. Btw buddy why for "better or worse"? NYAV post makes in general good dubs. Not every dub has to come from Funimation themselves lol. And that is coming from a Funimation fanboy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[...]resulting in a cast with little anime voice acting experience outside of Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs[...]

That's no surprise. Except for Cassandra, they all did voice work for mostly 4Kids shows and dubs, which consisted of nothing but subdued and corny dialog in all those broadcasts, though that doesn't necessarily mean they suck as VAs. We're just used to hearing them say things that are generally more suited for younger audiences.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
You are right. I dont know how ANN came up with this information.

Simple: I wasn't aware that it had been released in the UK first, or that a UK-based company had been responsible for commissioning the dub, so I made what was apparently a bad assumption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
You are right. I dont know how ANN came up with this information.

Simple: I wasn't aware that it had been released in the UK first, or that a UK-based company had been responsible for commissioning the dub, so I made what was apparently a bad assumption.

Fair enough lol. Though Funimation dont outsource their dubs often, only if it has a good reason behind it. Like a previous season already used other VA by another company. Or using same VA from a game. I mean its cheaper for them to do it inhouse. xD
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm curious as to how much of the original story is retained

Basically, nothing. The original book ("Nerawareta Gakuen" (lit. "The Targeted School") by Taku Mayumura) is a parable about the need to stand up to tyranny, played out in microcosm at a school where time travelers from the future show up, take over the student council, and start torturing all dissenters with psychic attacks. Taking over the school is a trial run for bigger things they have planned down the line. They're ruthless and have to be defeated; no room here for magical teenage moments.

The thing that this movie is really trying to emulate is "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time." Like Hosoda's breakout film, it takes an enduring classic of young adult science fiction and builds a present-day sequel to it, with only the briefest of nods to the original characters. Like Hosoda's film, it also wants to be wistful, romantic, and sentimental. But unlike Hosoda's film, it's built off a work that is the polar opposite of the tone the sequel is going for. It doesn't work.

I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters in Japan, but I didn't understand it then, despite having just read the source. The main thing I remember about it still is the lens flares...maybe we should add J.J. Abrams to the list of influences, too Wink
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
One thing you forgot to mention in your review is the voice director for the dub. It's Lisa Ortiz, who started her career as Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War OVA (a old-school but classic IMO dub that I still enjoy to this day), and later went on to voice Lina in Slayers. I find it intriguing that one of my favorite voice actresses directed this dub. I'm looking forward to hearing her efforts.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

well its definitely a great dub for sure, but why would funi outsource the dub to NYAV Post anyways instead of using their own VAs?? while i can definitely understand other series like the disappearance of yuki chan, ikktousen xx, and especially hellsing ultimate & the black lagoon ova, i couldnt see any reason financial wise to outsource this movie to another dubbing studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

well its definitely a great dub for sure, but why would funi outsource the dub to NYAV Post anyways instead of using their own VAs?? while i can definitely understand other series like the disappearance of yuki chan, ikktousen xx, and especially hellsing ultimate & the black lagoon ova, i couldnt see any reason financial wise to outsource this movie to another dubbing studio.
Like i said before. Anime Limited is responsable for the dub not Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1