• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ladies versus Butlers! Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
And this is why I am glad I got it on sale last holiday season for only $12.99. It was funny enough but definitely more of a "meh" title in the harem comedy world. Doesn't have a lot of replay value IMO so it's pretty much a one and done series for me. Even considering when it originally aired I agree there are other shows doing the same bits but more successfully.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I liked it then, I like it now. Ultimately, I find it a lot more satisfying than High School D x D as its excuse premise doesn't suffer from ADHD like DxD. Also, it's premise is just there for the fan service to happen, it helps that it doesn't feel like they're competing with one another like that franchise.

This show's design is notably for two things: No noses and Selnia Iori Flameheart... and it's not for what you think, it's her hair. It's Gurren Lagaan grade drills, you know.

What else... the dub cast. I'm more familiar with some of them through fan anime works or a certain anime style game. Yes, I actually bought that game for the voice acting. And why not? I bought this BD for the dub after all.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I had a fun time watching Ladies versus Butlers. The visuals were beautiful and Akiharu's misfortune with Selenia was hilarious, particularly toward the show's end. I was mesmerized by Selenia's mysteriously-very-long hair drills for most of her airtime...
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
What else... the dub cast. I'm more familiar with some of them through fan anime works or a certain anime style game. Yes, I actually bought that game for the voice acting. And why not? I bought this BD for the dub after all.

After watching the currently airing Keijo!!!!!!!! dub, it's interesting to look back at this. Amber Lee Conners has started climbing up the ladder Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to say that this is a perfect example of an average show of it's type, with the only thing setting it apart (and to be average in anime, you have to have something to set youa apart, otherwise youa re below average) is the character designs and how they eventually grew up into some kind of icon in echi series; one could say that kanokon fills that premise but that one has two big problems, no bluray version and the main character is a shota.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I'd love to say that this is a perfect example of an average show of it's type, with the only thing setting it apart (and to be average in anime, you have to have something to set youa apart, otherwise youa re below average) is the character designs and how they eventually grew up into some kind of icon in echi series; one could say that kanokon fills that premise but that one has two big problems, no bluray version and the main character is a shota.
It's Akio Takami, he's the character designer for both those and many other fan service heavy series.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
The lack of the 6 animation OVAs/shorts that came with the original Japanese release makes this a non-starter. I was looking forward to Media Blasters' belated bluray release but am totally disappointed they didn't include this, especially for a fanservice series that benefits from, if not relies on it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
^
Hmm currently $14.98 for the blu ray, $12.48 for the dvd...

I am assuming the lack of those 6 short OVA's caused you to import the Japan releases, seeing as how you view anything without them as being a non starter, how much did the full release cost?

I think I paid 20 when I bought, it was worth that, but not worth watching again.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
This ended up being a decent watch. The fact that it was comparatively cheap when I got it didn't hurt, and I didn't mind buying something from Media Blasters since I'm still impressed that they manage to not only keep in business, but dub things too. I am curious about how Bryn Apprill ended up in it. Carrie Savage makes sense since she moved to New York.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed LvB well enough. I had originally ordered the subbed dvds and was disappointed when the release was cancelled, but then I got the dual audio blu-rays for about the same price - a much better deal, despite the few flaws with the subtitles. I didn't even notice the one censored scene and will have to take another look soon. As for the credits, as long as they were included on the final episode, that's fine. Sure, they couldn't have started the series with more of a bang and developed the characters more, especially if they had made it 24 episodes. But the series as-is is worth watching a few times. It cost me $38 Cdn in all, which is fair as Canadians are always being gouged.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm snagging this on Blu-ray from TRSI's holiday sale. I watched this early on when I first got into anime and I remember liking it. I'm actually buying it for kind of a dumb reason: I remember absolutely loving the female principal of the school. The gag with her was is that she's an adult but is quite immature. I think she had an aide who basically tried to keep her in line. It's not a very big role but she seemed to crack me up virtually any tme she was around.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
They left in a censor and it still has none of the specials? Unforgivable, and I love LvB, but I don't need to buy the disc to see the show. With the way anime works now, no one does. No one needs to make a purchase for an unfinished release. A shame, because I really did want this one but even at a bargain price it's just not worth owning.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
I read that the LN ending was spoiler[open-ended between the 2 lead girls]. So, I pick Selnia.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
This ended up being a decent watch. The fact that it was comparatively cheap when I got it didn't hurt, and I didn't mind buying something from Media Blasters since I'm still impressed that they manage to not only keep in business, but dub things too. I am curious about how Bryn Apprill ended up in it. Carrie Savage makes sense since she moved to New York.

that's no surprise since new generation pictures and NYAV have a tendency to do their voicing in the new york area. even more so when media blasters had the license for both queens blade and and especially ikkitousen where she voiced hakufu. though the real thing is does it mean she went the way of an independent VA? cause that is the only way i can see her moving to NY and still do voice work for funi is that they use their own expenses to fly her to texas that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Bryn is going to college in the New England area? She's the right age for that, since she would have graduated from high school this year, IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2