• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Calls AI CG Animation 'An Insult to Life Itself'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
At this point, it seems like people are just exposing Miyazaki to stuff they know he's going to act grumpily towards to get a reaction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
"I feel like we are nearing the end of times, we humans are loosing faith in ourselves"
WOW thats some powerful stuff right there Crying or Very sad
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Everything I've learnt about Miyazaki is that he's a deeply unpleasant and bitter man and his opinions are not worth anyone's consideration, the only reason people humour them is because of his talent in filmmaking. He's the Alan Moore of the anime world.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Lmao GOAT video. The look on their faces to try and come up with a response. That ending was savage.

Part 1: Anime was a mistake.

Part 2: AI CG was a mistake.

Will there be a trilogy? Find out on the next action packed episode of Hayao Miyazaki Z!
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
"He previously stated that while he does not think that hand drawn animation is better that CG animation, he believes the latter is dying out because current animators are not talented."

Don't you mean former, not latter?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
If anything related to technology was on trial, you can bet the defense lawyer would object to anyone like this being on the jury:
Quote:
Miyazaki has never been shy at his distaste for technology, sharing opinions on iPads and confessing he didn't even own a computer in 2008.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, he's right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but he wasn't calling CG animation itself bad, just the video he was looking at. Which was absolutely hideous, creepy-looking, and was essentially developed to put animators out of business, so yeah, I think he was pretty on the money.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I mean, I agree with him. That looked like shit. And was certainly not anything impressive or worth showing to the guy. Plus, he's made enough great stuff in his days that he can say whatever the heck he wants. I feel like more Japanese people probably should!
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
"CG was a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki

Jokes aside I agree with him. The video looks absolutely disgusting and the movements shown were really off-putting. Also I really hate the idea itself. This would just put animators out of business.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Of course he's going to react negatively to new technology he's an old man who's stuck in his old ways. Seriously all old people are like this. Rolling Eyes
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I doubt when Miyazaki first went into the industry, he was any more talented than the people he is criticising. He's celebrated as a director and writer, I've never heard much about his work as a Key Animator, but the few things I've seen weren't anything spectacle, like the scenes you get from Yutaka Nakamura or Hideaki Anno.

Why can't he be more like Go Nagai, they are both from the same generation, but you never hear Nagai moan about anything.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware Miyazaki watched anyone else's to know how good CGI animation was at creating empathy? Some of the most emotional animated movies of this past decade have been CGI like Up and Inside Out. As much as I love 2D animation, I can't imagine Moana being 2D and it looks as gorgeous as it does because it's CGI. And to be frank, as much as I love Ghibli and Miyazaki, most of their post Howl's Moving Castle movies have been rather meh at best. Outside of Princess Kaguya, can anyone name a post Howl's Ghibli movie that's as good as Zootopia?
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki never said "Anime was a mistake". The creator of the meme confirmed that himself. That's the power of the internet I guess, overly common misattribution.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Can't blame him for saying such things. I'd think the same if I saw THAT on screen. Really uncomfortable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6