• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign BD+DVD [2016-12-15]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Is it really odd that i enjoyed this series a lot and love the dub? By reading this review makes me feel like Im too easy satisfied or something. I dont know.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole series as a simuldub because it would do just enough to keep me thinking that it was about to get very interesting. Unfortunately, that didn't happen until the last couple of episodes, with essentially no resolution.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem is that the second half takes a good amount of what the first half did right and devolves it,...all leading to an ending that doesn't resolve anything, instead feeling more like a seasonal break point.

The 1st half of S2's finale at the time had just caught up with the latest manga chapter, which was just ending a plot arc without any good stopping point. The anime had to craft an original semi-ending based on author Kagami Takaya's plot drafts ( or so the story goes). Even then, the manga continuation doesn't exactly follow the anime's ending events.

Quote:
The logic of the grand scheme involving the titular Seraph also raises too many questions.

Most of the various questions, mysteries and worldbuilding of the Seraph universe are addressed in 2 ongoing LN spinoffs authored by Kagami himself. One focuses on a teenaged Guren and events leading up to the Apocalypse; the 2nd on the mysteries of the vampire race and its prominent members like Ferid and Crowley. Although the central Seraph plot is still a cryptic mystery , Kagami has stated in his LN afterwords that the 2nd LN will be his grandest work, and his endgame is for the mysteries of both LNs to come together with the manga events to form the great opus that is Seraph's plot.

There are some Tumblr posts out there containing plot summaries of the novels; I'll share some main ones.
spoiler[It's hinted the vampires came into existence around the same time the angel Michaela fell to Earth 2000 years ago, and the Hyakuya sect was worshipping said angel.
Only children survived the Seraph virus because of their innocence; apparently the Seraphs were targeting the sin of desire and ambition adults had.
Crowley was a 13th century Templar knight going through a crisis of faith. He became acquainted with Ferid, who started liking him and (forcibly) made him a vampire so Ferid could have an eternal friend by his side.
Ferid's power play to unseat Krul and bring the manga events in motion had been meticulously planned out by him since the medieval era.
The novels go into detail on how cruel and power-hungry the Hiiragi family are. Ex. Shinya was meant to serve as breeding stock with Mahiru to create stronger Hiiragi descendants, a result of a ruthless candidate program that executed failures.]
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that the second half takes a good amount of what the first half did right and devolves it,...all leading to an ending that doesn't resolve anything, instead feeling more like a seasonal break point.

The 1st half of S2's finale at the time had just caught up with the latest manga chapter, which was just ending a plot arc without any good stopping point. The anime had to craft an original semi-ending based on author Kagami Takaya's plot drafts ( or so the story goes). Even then, the manga continuation doesn't exactly follow the anime's ending events.

Quote:
The logic of the grand scheme involving the titular Seraph also raises too many questions.

Most of the various questions, mysteries and worldbuilding of the Seraph universe are addressed in 2 ongoing LN spinoffs authored by Kagami himself. One focuses on a teenaged Guren and events leading up to the Apocalypse; the 2nd on the mysteries of the vampire race and its prominent members like Ferid and Crowley. Although the central Seraph plot is still a cryptic mystery , Kagami has stated in his LN afterwords that the 2nd LN will be his grandest work, and his endgame is for the mysteries of both LNs to come together with the manga events to form the great opus that is Seraph's plot.

OHHHHH MYYYYYY, THIS IS GOING TO BE BAD. The light novel spinoffs should be meant to be expansions of their own, not answers to the main plot of the manga. Was SotE meant to be a multimedia project all along? Why can't the manga be the main plot? Why do I have to read the novels to get the main plot? Is this meant to be a comic event in the same vein as Civil war of something? Is the same situation with Black Clover right now.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Was SotE meant to be a multimedia project all along?

Yes. The earliest volumes of the manga even mention that the story is designed to run simultaneously as a manga and light novel.

I'm not sure what the issue is with that, though. The "Guren in High School" stuff so obviously lends itself to the light novel format, while the post-apocalyptic vampire battle stuff is much more manga-y in its aesthetic. If it's as up-front about it as Seraph seems to be, then what's the problem?

TheMorry wrote:
Is it really odd that i enjoyed this series a lot and love the dub? By reading this review makes me feel like Im too easy satisfied or something. I dont know.

If you're anything like me, then you enjoy Seraph of the End the way US comic fans enjoy buying stories about the same superheroes doing the same exact things decade after decade. It doesn't make you easily satisfied, it just means that Seraph does a really good job slotting itself into a particular taste preference.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This series, shonen as it may seem, was always meant to be Fujoshi fan bait. Yet there are people who take it seriously? I couldn't keep my eyes from rolling when the swords of the male vamps grew rose thorns to, ah, prick them gently so they bled. This was their power-up, you see...

Quote:
Overall, the only thing that Seraph of the End does to step slightly beyond being remixing other supernatural shonen action series (Bleach, Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan) is to throw in the notion that the two male leads may have more than just familial feelings for each other

So close but a miss is still a miss. Also, it's not a throw in, it's an image and concept the whole series is based upon... but I wouldn't go so far to say that the younger boy was made a vampire as that would be the only way he'd be strong enough to give the other, older guy a princess carry.

It's just the easiest way.

I don't regret watching it but as meaningless incomplete manga adaptations go, this is right up there with Blood Lad.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I don't regret watching it but as meaningless incomplete manga adaptations go, this is right up there with Blood Lad.

i wouldnt go that far and put it in the same category as Blood Lad. its more or less close to D Gray Man or Toaru no Majustu Index.

Quote:
Yu's flip-flops between being an ass and a genuinely good guy are particularly unconvincing/
that shouldnt be a surprise. AoT's Eren was the exact same way at the beginning before maturing. the same with rin from blue exorcist. but it makes them who they are and at times likable to a point.

Quote:
− Highly questionable logic throughout the Big Picture, tedious rants and angst, remains a slave to shonen action conventions, ending accomplishes very little

i wouldnt necessary call it a negative. for one thing if it wasnt a slave to shonen type action conventions , it wouldnt be as popular as it was, let alone be in shonen jump at all. also the ending shouldnt be a surprise by anyone. its based off of a manga/light novel adaptation where it have a nasty tendency to end after two seasons (26 eps) or one (13 eps) at the min, and fans must read the manga/light novel to continue (the end of this season is where vol 10-11 of the manga starts). so yea, while the ending does accomplishes nothing at all at this time, wouldnt necessarily call it a negative, BUT ONLY if there is a chance of a season three getting a green light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
One thing that surprised ("bothered?") is that the villains were too overpowered- However, when the cast is told to fight together to achieve victory, I enjoyed it. Another thing that bothered me is that there was an episode dedicated to Yu and Mika when the cast was huge. Still, I liked that Yu became more mature in season 2
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Seraph is enjoyable in large chunks but as a monthly series rambles a little too much for my liking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1