• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nana Maru San Batsu Manga About High School Quiz Club Gets TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
The art looks kind of cute. I'll give the manga a try before the anime comes out. It looks like it could be fun!
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
YESSSSSS!!! I LOVE THIS MANGA!! IT'S SO AWESOME!!!! YES!!! YES!! YES!!!! A MILLION YES!!!
For those who are wondering this is a show about a quiz game, it's really fun and educational at the same time!!
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
A blast from the past.
Great news indeed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
A quiz question I would send them if I lived in Japan: On 2/1/1887, which man formally registered "Hollywood" with the LA County Recorder's Office?
A. Harvey Wilcox
B. H.J. Whitley
C. Daeida Wilcox-Beveridge
D.Margaret Virginia-Whitley

It was Harvey. Whitley did a lot of town development after Wilcox died in 1891. Still, both men and their wives were the founders of modern Hollywood (town). Daeida married a Mr. Philo J. Beveridge in 1894 but she died 20 years later.
judasmartel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
@Kadmos1

You can just give the correct answer right away, the manga doesn't use multiple choice questions, you need to know the correct answer yourself.

Quiz bowl players study as many questions and answers they can find before they come to the contest (categories are usually determined beforehand), knowing they MIGHT appear in the actual quiz bowl. If it's an official tournament, they probably hand out a list of all the possible questions that might appear in the contest for all participants to study, and these are usually written in such a pattern that can be easily recognized within as few clues as possible. Also, some quiz masters have the tendency to ask a set of questions in a particular order, making it possible for a player can answer questions correctly before even the question is asked, so to speak, if he gets the pattern right.

For example:

On February/ 1/, 1887/, which/ man/ formally/ registered/ "Hollywood"/ with the/ LA County Recorder's Office/?

If this question actually appears in the handouts, it would be easy enough for the player to memorize all possible markers for every question, so if he is familiar with the wordings in the question enough, he can actually buzz in right after "February", answer it correctly, and deny the competition a chance to steal. If he does it wrong, however, he gets no points or worse a penalty. and the opponents have a chance to steal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1