• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sky Wizards Academy BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked this got a C. I'm a pretty big sucker for LN anime, but I'd still give this one an F.

The animation was horrid. The art was bad as mentioned in the review (at least HxH had really good character art to go with bad animation). Considering two of the main selling points of the series were fan service and magic battles, both of those being awful is a rather bad sign.

On the more subjective side, the girls in the harem weren't very interesting. The most interesting part was the setting, but that is a complete rip from Regios (which is actually a great LN series). The story for the arcs covered by the anime were fairly weak even for early LNs. That said, like most early harem LN anime, those arcs were meant to primarily introduce the girls. The problem is that the girls aren't strong enough characters to carry it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this series twice, for some reason; C seems about right to me. For me, it's more for what this series doesn't do rather than what it does right or even well.

There's a tournament but it's not a tournament series. There's a bug threat but it's not a war. There's a group of girls but it's not a harem.

There's one lone guy but he's, well, not that guy from Chrome Shelled Regios. You know, the one man army guy who's the key to all this. For a LN, that's almost.... interesting.

Anyway, if this would be a F then what would...am I thinking Absolute Duo or Blade of the Elementer? Is there a difference? Duo was shield boy, right? I couldn't finish either of them so it doesn't matter.

Sky Wizards Academy is not a good series but there is more to it than one guy, a girl and a fight. Not a lot more but ... there you go.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a reasonably entertaining series. It wasn't great. In fact, it was far, far, far away from great. But it was watchable. I liked the instructor guy, and the girls didn't actively make me want to strangle either them or myself, and the "harem" aspects were actually not very haremy.

The big problem with the series is that the plot was... vague. I mean... the driving part seemed to meander around. This robbed many scenes of the sort of impact that would've really improved the series, IMO. As it is, I think the grades given are pretty fair. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch this series again, but I don't regret watching it through once.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I'm pretty tolerant of such shows, but this one wasted a lot of time trying to be multiple things without committing. Plus, it eventually became something of a running joke in Funimation's Dubbletalk program. Considering that the point of that show is to promote Funimation's content, that is saying something.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this but felt it really suffered from rushed adaption syndrome where it would be more enjoyable just read instead.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
This is one of the wordst LN anime I've ever layed eyes upon. You're complaining about his being constantly called a traitor, but that could have been an awesome plot line. I was really curious why he was called a traitor, but when they finally told us, I raged. SO.[expletive].DUMB. And it's all dowhill from there.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
I found Sky Wizards Academy to be an average show. It's not terrible, but I can't say it's all that exciting. The story felt a bit rushed and the characters' personalities felt a bit bland. However, I did enjoy the sky battles near the end.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
I watched this at random when FuniNow UK launched, and honestly can't remember that much about it past the ridiculous toast-in-mouth/on-crotch sequence.

Quote:
It's a given that grown-ups are going to be largely absent in most anime, but this show takes it to an extreme with almost no explanation; perhaps that's something covered in the source material.

This is something that bugged me about Mahouka after reading the first novel. In the anime you only see around 3 adults in the whole series (and only one of those is an actual teacher), although not much time is spent in class and it is mentioned the the students self-govern. There's a passing mention of the difference between Course 1 and Course 2 being access to instruction, which I just took to mean more individual tuition.
In the novel it is laid out in black and white that the school only has the resources to provide teaching staff for the Course 1 students so the Course 2 "reserves" the show focuses on are entirely self-schooled. There's also a scene right at the start of the anime where Tatsuya's class are surprised when Haruka shows up to their first homeroom - but the scene is cut at that point with no explanation, while the novel goes on the explain that she is there to introduce herself as their assigned counsellor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Anyway, if this would be a F then what would...am I thinking Absolute Duo or Blade of the Elementer? Is there a difference? Duo was shield boy, right? I couldn't finish either of them so it doesn't matter.

One big one would be visuals. I realize it might sound silly to say that should be a big factor between an F and a C, but when most everything else is cookie cutter or ripped off, having at least decent visuals makes a big difference. Like I said before, two of the main draws of Sky Wizards are fan service and magic battles. Both look like complete trash. There is absolutely nothing about the series that actually stands out as 'good' to compensate for that.

On the other hand, Duo / Blade Dance had decent visuals. Not the greatest, but not bad. Duo also had entertaining and non standard interaction between the male and female lead. In Blade Dance's case, they actually start the main plot so you can see where the story is going / get to know some of the long term antagonists and their motivations. That is compared to Sky Wizards throw away arcs and one chance at an interesting story twist on the 'traitor' thing being pissed away.

To be clear, I'm not saying either are B or higher material (well maybe Blade Dance, but I'd have to rewatch it to make sure the LN's aren't clouding my memory of the anime). They're both just a solid step over the trainwreck that is Sky Wizards.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I thought this was a reasonably entertaining series. It wasn't great. In fact, it was far, far, far away from great. But it was watchable. I liked the instructor guy, and the girls didn't actively make me want to strangle either them or myself, and the "harem" aspects were actually not very haremy.

The big problem with the series is that the plot was... vague. I mean... the driving part seemed to meander around. This robbed many scenes of the sort of impact that would've really improved the series, IMO. As it is, I think the grades given are pretty fair. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch this series again, but I don't regret watching it through once.

true enough. calling this series a harem series is beyond overstretching a bit since only yuri have feelings for him.

however, the storyline is definitely half baked. but what do people expect. its based off of a light novel adaptation where everyone knows up to this point are basically glorified ad promo series for the Light Novels and as such most of those series only have one season and ends at 12 eps. the only exception was tokyo ravens which was popular enough to get to 24 eps. but all of them have one thing in common. they all have incomplete endings and massive plot holes and you'll have to read their light novels to continue with the storyline. and this series is no exception. there is nothing about who or what the devil beetles are, spoiler[ as well as how kanata ended up getting their abilities without turning into one of them ]. not to mention on how is it possible for people who are non magic types to have their memories of a sky wizard completely erased. way to suspicious. while i definitely have no problem watching in again for a weekend if there is nothing new, i would probably advise people to skip this series and wait for season 4 of highschool dxd since miraculously that series is so far the only manga/light novel based series to defy the odds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
jr240483, other LN-based series that have gotten 4+ TV seasons (counting filler seasons) include "Slayers" and "Zero no Tsukaima".
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the OP/ED song, Kanata with his cool design and badass name, Lecty, Rico, and their fanservice...this was bad. CG pantsu had me dead. Nuff said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1