• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Secret of Studio SHAFT

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I've already been a fan of Madoka and the Monogatari series for a while and I'm currently enjoying March, but the recent debut of Hand Shakers, a show that quite literally gave me the worst eye pain I've felt in more than a decade (had a bad conjunctivitis problem in my early teens), has actually made me appreciate Shaft as a whole even more. Say what you want about the head tilts, but the single-minded pursuit of a studio identity based on a unique visual house style could have ended so much worse.

Thanks for the informative article. I've enjoyed a few of Shin Oonuma's recent-ish works, but for some reason I keep forgetting he used to work at Shaft. Looks like I need to check out the ef franchise.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Nick's enjoying the visuals of ef. The artistic direction in that show makes it the rare case where I think you can point to limited animation as a valid aesthetic choice, something that hasn't been true very often since the UPA cartoons of the 1950s.

I do think you'll want to get around to Shinbo's Mekakucity Actors, which also has a striking aesthetic, this time an ultra-bold high-contrast look. I didn't appreciate it the first time because I was busy cataloging all the head-tilts on my Tumblr, but a Animax promo from last summer reminded me of the show's distinct look (also, props to Animax for making Mekakucity Actors look way better than it actually is).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Found an error in the 8th paragraph.
Quote:
It is the conscience conscious choice to settle on and refine this “SHAFT style” that gives all of their shows a somewhat cohesive, distinct visual identity.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
SILVER LINK aren't really known for their beautiful productions, but you can still see Oonuma's talent ...

I don't know if the meaning is that Silver Link doesn't make beautiful productions or that Silver Link does make beautiful productions but are not known. Either way, Silver Link's series: Non Non Biyori and Non Non Biyori Repeat have absolutely beautiful production values and gorgeous backgrounds.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Great to see another article about a particular anime studio's history and style. I'd like to see more articles like this.

Two things though.

One, could y'all please add sources/credits for the images you use (not just this article, I've asked this before with Kevin Cirugeda's articles too). Like, title of the anime, episode number, and maybe a timestamp. That way we can look things up to see them in context, or get hooked on interesting stuff.

Two, I can see why you highlight Oonuma and Omata, because they've been quite influential in Shaft's style(s), but they're both introduced as ex-Shaft staff, which makes one wonder what people are most influential at Shaft now. The blog you link to at the end does a good job describing exactly that, but why isn't that information in this article? It clearly belongs in something titled "The Secret of Studio SHAFT".
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
SHAFT always draws the best backgrounds.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I've always been fascinated with what SHAFT does ever since Madoka and Monogatari. Though I'm no expert in animation, I feel like I can still understand what they're trying to accomplish in certain episodes.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Great article. The general impression I got from Shaft is that most of their stuff is good but the only great stuff I have experienced is Madoka. The rest is very good though so it's a studio whose total output is greater than its individual pieces.

Shimbo has actually directed anything like a normal director?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting to see Aria the Scarlet Ammo come up in Silver Link's history when Aria AA struck me as a love letter to SHAFT (and given that the Director has and continues to work with SHAFT, this is clearly not accidental).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I've been a pseudo-fan of Shaft's for their really unique visual language since Tsukyomi Moon Phase, but the one thing that has always been a thorn in my side is on at least two occasions I can think of (in Moon Phase and during the first season of Monogatari) action sequences were built up to only to play out as sound against a static background card. I found this very jarring and displeasing- though at this point I don't know if this was laziness and penny pinching or an artistic statement. Or both.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
lol didn't even mention ufotable
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Shimbo has actually directed anything like a normal director?

The article mentions he worked as director for Petite Cossette and SoulTaker before Shaft. While in Shaft, he did Zetsobou-Sensei and Sasami-san.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
He also did the Hurricane Polymar OVA.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
I've been a pseudo-fan of Shaft's for their really unique visual language since Tsukyomi Moon Phase, but the one thing that has always been a thorn in my side is on at least two occasions I can think of (in Moon Phase and during the first season of Monogatari) action sequences were built up to only to play out as sound against a static background card. I found this very jarring and displeasing- though at this point I don't know if this was laziness and penny pinching or an artistic statement. Or both.

More likely they buggered up the production schedule and didn't have the time to do it properly.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
gpanthony wrote:

More likely they buggered up the production schedule and didn't have the time to do it properly.

You guys are just making assumption without doing research. For Tsukuyomi, it's just an artistic statement. Nothing to do with laziness or being cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2