• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Dragon Ball Super Super Enough?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
One thing to note is that Toei has slowly but sure started getting their better animators to work on Super (Naotoshi Shiida, for instance)
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I find Super decent overall. It's not really fair for me to compare it to DBZ as my nostalgia is overwhelming about that show, but Super still more or less succeed in capturing in what I liked about the show in my childhood, even if you could argue not as well.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the lack of a changing status quo could be attributed to the show already having a point they need to match up to with the End of Z. They can't do anything that would go against that part too much, and they can't advance the timeline too quickly. So for now the only major changes they can do is some gradual character development that would happen between where we are now and End of Z.

I imagine if they actually choose to go past that point might allow for more freedom, such as giving more character growth to Pan and Uub and allowing things to shift to let them be the new heroes like Goku wanted, though I also don't know if the creative team even want to go against the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament being the (canon) end point of Dragon Ball.
Cherukuri Praharsha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
other the tournament ark other slice of life aspects are stable but not memorable
story lines did not get better then gt like vegito thing .in my opinion if gt was supposedly
shit super can justify itself but gt is not shit so super is tidius
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Now, and in all seriousness, we should have an article here about GT, why it failed and all that jazz. Of course, there are some people who don´t know why it´s regarded as the weakest entry in the franchise, that it´s better than Evolution.

On topic: in the same level as Star Wars has a lot of expansion for worlds and characters, Dragon Ball franchise should opt to do that. Toriyama should approve spin-offs already. Watching the main series declining and trying to be revelant it´s not gonna be funny all the time. Maybe that´s why Shueisha ordered a special division for the franchise, starting with that Isekai Yamcha spin-off?
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
If you want to see a more fractured fanbase look at Sailor Moon with the release of the Crystal series.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Now, and in all seriousness, we should have an article here about GT, why it failed and all that jazz. Of course, there are some people who don´t know why it´s regarded as the weakest entry in the franchise, that it´s better than Evolution.

On topic: in the same level as Star Wars has a lot of expansion for worlds and characters, Dragon Ball franchise should opt to do that. Toriyama should approve spin-offs already. Watching the main series declining and trying to be revelant it´s not gonna be funny all the time. Maybe that´s why Shueisha ordered a special division for the franchise, starting with that Isekai Yamcha spin-off?

Almost one decade after watching GT and i still don't understand why people call it bad.... <.<
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
If you want to see a more fractured fanbase look at Sailor Moon with the release of the Crystal series.

It was always fractured, even before Crystal was a thing.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Super is particularly "goofy," or "not serious," so much as it tries to strike a balance between the comedy and drama elements of Dragon Ball. This is something Toriyama had a hard time doing in the latter parts of Z: The Cell arc is almost completely serious to the point of tedium, and most of its drama seems painfully forced. Meanwhile the Buu arc went too hard in the other direction, presenting a villain who is so dopey that Toriyama had to reboot him twice before he really felt like a threat.

Super seems determined to make use of both of these approaches without letting one overwhelm the other, and I think it succeeds once it gets its footing. The first two arcs are limited by being movie adaptions, but once you get past them, the show really comes into itself. The Universe 6 Saga has some of the most creative and suspenseful battles in the entire Dragon Ball canon, while the Future Trunks arc is a good candidate for best DB storyline ever, with a fascinating villain and lots of interesting twists.

Most importantly, Super avoids the two biggest flaws of DBZ: needlessly long arcs and bad pacing. Super has so far completed four major storylines in the time it took Z to do one and a half. I think it's a fine addition to the Dragon Ball franchise and it looks like it will only keep getting better once the new saga starts in two weeks.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to when some fans take out the Japanese score and insert the Bruce Faulconer score in its place. Even if that isn't the 'true dragon ball' it's the better dragaon ball.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Even if that isn't the 'true dragon ball' it's the better dragaon ball.

Only if you like awful subpar music that never stops. Along with recycled material.

SkerllyF wrote:

Being better than Evolution isn't much to go by as Evolution was pretty much set at a very low bar.

SkerllyF wrote:

They already have spin offs between the Bardock and the Future Trunks specials and Jaco.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this article doesn't take any actual position, it just has a nebulous, "Hey, some people like this, others don't" response to Super. "Hey, this is kind of okay" doesn't seem a strong enough impetus for an entire article. It comes across as half-hearted quotient filling.

My opinion is that aside from its production issues (but let's not let them off the hook for that), it's an entertaining and valid continuation of Toriyama's manga (after all, he created some of the concepts). It's imperfect, to be sure, sometimes having difficulty balancing plot, action, and comedy, and as I said, it has production issues involving the artwork inconsistencies. But it also opens up the DB universe a lot and the characters have a consistent voice in characterization. It doesn't quite have the desperate whiff that GT had. I only wish Toei wasn't working on a hundred different projects at once, so we could get more variety with the action scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I think its doing good enough. Especially with Beerus now part of the cast.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Almost one decade after watching GT and i still don't understand why people call it bad.... <.<

Well one major issue is that only Goku is really relevant in a fight, besides Vegeta helping out in the last fight, and much of the focus is given to just Goku (to the point some joke that GT stands for Goku Time), Pan, and to a lesser extent Trunks. People have made similar complaints about Super being mostly about Goku and Vegeta, but this problem doesn't seem as bad as it was in GT, especially with how we still get the occasional moments or even episodes that give focus to other characters, and even a whole saga for Future Trunks.

Plus even with her screentime, Pan doesn't get any notable character development or contribute much to the big fights aside from helping Goku get SS4. At the end of Z, Uub was set up as Goku's student and successor, but he hardly gets screen time or any wins.

There's also how it tried to recapture the charm of old Dragon Ball in the beginning, including making Goku a kid again, but it just didn't work. Even a two parter is just a copy of Oolong's introduction. Likely the reason why during it's initial broadcasting in the US, Funimation just skipped most of the Black Star Dragon Ball saga to get to the start of the Baby Saga. And it had concepts that sounded good but were executed poorly. Like the Shadow Dragons, over half of the characters, while unique, were hardly even a threats.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I find Super to be good but not great. Super is good enough to make me keep watching the next episode but not great enough that I get crazy with anticipation for the next episode or start reenacting what I see in the show. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3