• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Ys VIII, Culdecept Revolt, RPG Maker, Tokyo Tattoo Girls, Touhou Kobuto

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowmaksim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
I actually saw the stream as it went live. Out of all the announcements, there were two games I was hoping would be revealed, "The Witch & The Hundred Knight 2" and "Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain", but neither got in.

There's still hope since both of them are NIS properties so they could just be planned for later, what not with how many projects they are working on at the moment, but I can't say I'm not slightly disappointed.

Oh well, at least there's still "Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight" which I've already got preordered.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
wasn't Xseed supposed to be releasing everything Nihon Falcom in the US? I've got a bad feeling about the future of the legend of heroes games in north America
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Xseed were outbid by NISA for YS VIII. NISA have a lot more money and that's cool because we are getting dual audio and Europe will getting it at the same time. Also Steam release day one.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
Dual audio in an Ys game is not vital at all; it's not like the characters talk that much. I'm more surprised to hear that XSEED is not the one bringing us Ys VIII, especially after their passionate dedication to localizing the series thus far. I'm not concerned, just a bit taken aback at this news.
Reinford

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
wasn't Xseed supposed to be releasing everything Nihon Falcom in the US? I've got a bad feeling about the future of the legend of heroes games in north America

Tokyo Xanadu also not translated by Xseed. Got dual audio and pc port.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dual audio in an Ys game is not vital at all; it's not like the characters talk that much.

You'd be surprised, because in this game the dialogue is quite a bit.
nagpo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Not good for Xseed!
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
I am not to happy about this. Definitely will not preorder this game, and will wait to see how it turns out. I hope this doesn't mean NISA will be doing future Trails games as well....
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Of course Ys VIII is getting a US release after I bought it last summer when I was in Japan!
redcar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Not terribly pleased about this. In my experience, NIS America has a habit of putting out subpar localizations, whereas at least XSEED does their level best to get these huge masses of text translated properly. I just hope the latter eventually picks up Crossbell and it isn't stolen from them like this apparently was.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
I am not to happy about this. Definitely will not preorder this game, and will wait to see how it turns out. I hope this doesn't mean NISA will be doing future Trails games as well....

That would be a disaster. Xseed pours a lot of love and effort into their Trails localizations, and I doubt that NISA could match it. Since the whole series takes place in the same world that each game builds off of, making the terminology inconsistent with the other games would be a terrible thing. And since Trails of Cold Steel in particular has a lot of voice acting who knows if NISA would dub it all.

On another note, I find it pretty amusing that out of Atlus, Xseed, and NISA, Xseed is usually the best at dubbing games despite having presumably the least money. Atlus uses the same voice actors across multiple games and recasts characters far too often, while NISA tends to not dub games fully. Xseed manages to dub games pretty fully and have good variety in voice acting talent.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I must be missing something being an actual jrpg fan for about a decade.

Xseed was kind of half heart at first before finally getting a decent release sch for jrpg only in about the last two years, before that there were plenty of games they could have released, or more offensive in my eye they released several games as digital only which I think is a slap in the face especially with games like jrpgs that tend to lean to the collector crowd.

I have also never though the quality of their releases were ever really that good either in terms of the localization, selection of titles (they kind of always stick to the same few), or the actual physical product. Also not a big fan of how they were basically focusing heavily on handhelds for a while.

NIS on the other hand has been bringing over quality jrpgs since they were rosenqueen well over a decade ago, always had fine translations, and I think put out really nice sets. Not to mention they make Disgaea which is better than Ys or any xseed published franchise, and they have been putting out Atelier because KT has been kind of iffy with that one.

I still think Atlus is kind of the golden standard for niche jrpg titles, but def think NIS is right up there, while I view xseed as an after thought.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
You'd be surprised, because in this game the dialogue is quite a bit.

Not really. I've seen some videos of the Japanese version and there's still not that much voice acting compared to other RPGs that have it in general.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I must be missing something being an actual jrpg fan for about a decade.

Xseed was kind of half heart at first before finally getting a decent release sch for jrpg only in about the last two years, before that there were plenty of games they could have released, or more offensive in my eye they released several games as digital only which I think is a slap in the face especially with games like jrpgs that tend to lean to the collector crowd.

It sounds like you haven't really been following the scene very closely. XSEED has been putting out quality stuff for many years, and picked up in 2010. I guess you like different games, because that was when they started putting out things like the Ys series, and then started picking up "Operation Rainfall" titles that Nintendo has passed on. This is going back over 7 years ago, so unless you are a big Senran Kagura fan or something, this is more than just "2 years ago".

If you followed them, you would see that they put out very nice collectors editions when it is financially feasible for the title. In many cases, they had to go digital, as most titles were for PSP, and they couldn't afford putting it out physically. It was either don't put it out at all, put it out as digital, or go bankrupt, since the profit wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of putting it out. So digital only was at least a chance to get it out, without people losing their jobs. It's been rough, and every time a digital title gets announced, they always have those few people that ridicule them, but the majority are at least understanding with the "I WISH we couldn't, but we were unable to..."

As someone watching the JRPG scene for many many years, I have seen all this happen, and sounds like you just prefer stuff from Atlus and NISA more (also judging by your Disgaea avatar, too).

CrownKlown wrote:
Not to mention they make Disgaea which is better than Ys or any xseed published franchise

Oh, yeah.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I really hope there isn't something really bad going on behind the scenes at Xseed. I wonder if the whole Trails translation fiasco from a while back caused some strain between XSeed and Falcom or something. Xseed had been the go to publisher for niche JRPGS for a while and was even at one time in a partnership with Falcom. Plus, Xseed has really upped their quality in translation, localisation, and post release title support (bug fixes, other issues that may arise) as other similar publishers seem to release something and then abandon all support. Also in terms of localisation quality, Atlus has really slipped in recent years and NISA is very hit or miss outside of the Disgaea titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2