• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zootopia Wins Animated Feature Film Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vannil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Still can't believe Your Name wasn't nominated. Then again the whole nomination process for the Oscars is pretty stupid
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
You know what? Your Name. should have been nominated (what the hell is My Life as a Zucchini?!), but I still would have wanted Zootopia to win even if it did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
As much as I did really enjoy Zootopia, it would be really nice if something other than Disney/Pixar won. It's like the award exists only for Disney/Pixar, and as long as the only movie they put out that year wasn't Cars 2 quality, it's basically theirs. The only question this year was if Zootopia or Moana was going to get it.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I wanted Zootopia to win amongst the nominees. Moana wasn't that good imo.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
In other words, grass is green and the sky is blue. Neutral
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I REALLY wanted Kubo to win that one.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
There should be a best foreign animated picture category so anime can get noticed more. Your Name. at least deserved a nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
TrowaAyanami wrote:
Ugh, I REALLY wanted Kubo to win that one.

Kubo was really amazing.....but it seems like LAIKA ALWAYS goes somewhat unnoticed. Sad They need to do more advertising....get their stuff out there so people notice it!

The critics definitely noticed it....and praised it.

I'm glad Zootopia won instead of something really terrible like.....idk the latest thing the same studio that did Alvin and the Chipmunks did.

You know, garbage. :'D
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
As much as I did really enjoy Zootopia, it would be really nice if something other than Disney/Pixar won. It's like the award exists only for Disney/Pixar, and as long as the only movie they put out that year wasn't Cars 2 quality, it's basically theirs. The only question this year was if Zootopia or Moana was going to get it.

The award exists only for disney/Pixar because they have the biggest advertising and bribing power. The Oscars is not and has never been about the best film, it's about which film can advertise and straight up bribe the voting members the most. In many cases for animated films, the voting members simply pick the ones their kids liked the best. If you don't advertise yourself, there's no way you can win.

And since winning an Oscar gives a huge boost to the commercial value of the film, there's a huge incentive to advertise and bribe voting members. There was no way Funimation could beat Disney/Pixar on that front.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
It kinda sucks because I'd like a Dreamworks film to win sometime. Particularly one with dragons. :'D Dreamworks used to be "okay" but they've really upped their game in the last decade. I want to root for them.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Undeserved but unsurprising, what else I can say. I would be very shocked if The Academy ever awarded something as unique as The Red Turtle. But I guess 2D animation's time is off, which is probably why no anime won since Spirited Away. That and the politics in Oscar.
Oh well, I still can hope for miracle that stupidity like La La Land will be eventually beaten by either Moonlight or Lion, because both of these movies deserve it so much more.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Was rooting for Zootopia.

I find it hilarious that Suicide Squad won an Oscar but it was well deserved.
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Your name deserved to be nominated, but I am really happy Zootopia won Very Happy I really love that movie, Zootopia was my favorite movie from 2016
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
I wanted Zootopia to win amongst the nominees. Moana wasn't that good imo.

THIS! I really didn't enjoy Moana.
And again, people are still complaining about "Your name" geez get over it.

Quote:
It kinda sucks because I'd like a Dreamworks film to win sometime. Particularly one with dragons. :'D

HTTYD! YES YES!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
(what the hell is My Life as a Zucchini?!)

The English title makes it sound like an installment in the Veggie Tales franchise but, despite the cute title, it's a movie about orphans and neglected children dealing with various emotional scars from their lives prior to arriving at the orphanage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5