• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Tyrant (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Love Tyrant (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, supernatural
Themes: angels, yandere

Plot Summary: Guri is an angel with a mysterious item that turns any two people who kiss into a couple. She appears before a high school boy named Seiji Aino. However, there is a yandere high school girl named Akane who loves Seiji.
----------------------------------

Adapts manga of the same name. Coming for Spring 2017.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Guri is actually a lot more cuter than I had thought.

I got what I expected from the first episode although I'm not impressed by the animation style of this yet. They got the personalities of the characters right on most parts although I find Seiji a bit annoying at times. They jumped the premise pretty fast with this and didn't waste time with a kiss already.

Another guilty pleasure of the season for me.
Should be an amusing ride. Yandere Akane is entertaining to watch so far
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This show is a big ball of crazy. Fine by me!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Oh my god this is bonkers.

The pacing was so fast pace that it really clashes with the sort of animation, but the timing it got down in delivery of jokes was hilarious because it often could be so much of a surprise. I think that I kind of had warning beforehand that the one character is a yandere, but still it was hilarious when how out of character yandere she got. The example of what the power of the kiss note does, to the reveal that she is actually an angel and her demon appearance is just her hobby. Breaking that she actually was visible reminded me of gag I saw years back in a Death Note parody that everyone actually could see Ryuk and just ignored him. Guri feels like someone saw Elsie from TWGOK and wanted to make her even crazier and chaotic, with the spark of wanting to be professional removed.

And to play on an anime often being contrived forced couples, it made the forced couples (harem) humorously forced and so wrong. I am so on.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

The censoring white mist in this show...
BD better remove those. Oh wait, they're breaking the 4th wall so unlikely.

Seiji and Aqua has a typical bro/sister relationship lol, very similar to a lot of shows I've seen before. Aqua has that sort of tomboy and girly side combined to her. On another note, I think Guri looks good in her school uniform as she experiments with school life.

I still really like how they are delivering the comedy in this show. New character to appear next time? Should be fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
I thought that it was funny that he was beaten up for acting that the cheated on women needed protection by him. The "how could you treat a woman like that" I guess coming off as condescending to them after what they had to deal with. Not that it excused them also attacking him.

Weird how they all know about demons.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Guri got oddly Keima at the beach, and got oddly sideline shounen in that battle.

The test of courage was kind of funny though, as it has kind of shown so far, the show is at its best when it throws everything at us, like all of the random ghosts at the normal school, Guri as a Ghost Buster.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8
Wait a second... spoiler[if this comedy series is following the usual madness rules the reveal is that Kami Sami is the ascended father of bother Yuzu and Akane making a bizzare set of sistership to go around, this would make sense if "papa is in heaven"]

It is a bit of amusement that Akane's mother level of yandere has achieved a stoic level of madness in regards to being over protective to her daughter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe I am putting things together that are not really there, but the way they mentioned Akane and Yuzu's father was perhaps a bit of a player to get two girls, and then one adult man in the show comes to mind for cheating. Are we going to find out that Akane and Yuzu are also sisters with Guri? Now that the introduced the thing with their parents after being introduced to Guri's earlier, I can't help but think they will connect in some weird way.

Anyway, I thought that the conflict here was nice done, and laughed yet loved Guri's part that she can sense love and the like. Cool battle too between the mums, funny with Yuzu turning into a gooey puddle and her mother freaking out when she hears the entire strange story.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This show is best when under Guri's madness, which is why it was kind of a risk that this last arch had Guri pretty much losing what made her herself. Although maybe it sort of made it good as it was about that actualisation that it was not right without it. I think one of my favourite gags in the episode was when he was seeing if her old joking self was in there, and after she had played the fool her response had Seiji shocked in asking who she was, but not in the expected way. Akane's idea was to chase Guri around as Guri had shown to enjoy it as a game. It was interesting that the whole realisation kind of came in regards of Shikimi, that Guri realised the reason she acts up so much is because she really is lonely and wants people to see her, which does sound horribly corny, but in practice it sort of worked.

In repeating what I have pretty much already said, this show, Love Tyrant, was fun when it always had an off the wall joke come out of left field you would not see, and sort of like Konosuba the joke would not be a one off bit but roll with it as something that would be relevant to the plot. As for Guri being kind of the heart of the show and this last arc, it made me think about how sometimes biggest humour people can possibly be the larges at risk for some emotional problems (like depression), and that even they can need a support.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing. Is worth some laughs, and some of that also has to be towards some of the kind of smaller bits like the art of a character's face as a gag or a sound effect.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
I think this series overall is good but not great.

It did its job at selling its humor especially with character relationships. My favorite character turned out to be Akane from start to finish because of the character chemistry between her and Seiji really gave me some good laughs. The finale felt kinda rushed imo and I wish they added another episode to make it fit better. I mean, Guri didn't really understand love at first and all that led to her transformation later on. Just felt the final episode rushed her conflict a bit fast.

So in essence, the characters in this series won me over rather than the storytelling. Oh and I also like Aqua especially when one of the earlier episodes focused on her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1