• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Nacho Cheese Kiritos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I legit thought of
Quote:
quinella
as soon as they mentioned the lack of female villains xd
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Aw, it's ok Zac, I'm having fun with Tanya the Evil. Even if it has "nothing to say" it's been great fun watching a show from the psychopathic villain's perspective. Though I'm not sure if I want Tanya to win, or have her head blown off.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for another Heat Guy J joke at last! That will atone for the practice of talking during film screenings, I imagine.

The poll for next week's series discussion had its winners and losers. My choice of Girls und Panzer utterly tanked, perhaps for good reason. Hee hee!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray for another Heat Guy J joke at last! That will atone for the practice of talking during film screenings, I imagine.

The poll for next week's series discussion had its winners and losers. My choice of Girls und Panzer utterly tanked, perhaps for good reason. Hee hee!

The "Heat Guy J" (around 63:50) and the sober Zac question were both asked by me.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess I'll have to keep lower expectations for the SAO movie before I watch it tomorrow, not that they were high necessarily. I only decided to watch it after learning that it set up the next season.

I think the hatedom for SAO has an effect even on fans of the show. I had recently come across my rating for both seasons of SAO (I forget why exactly) and it was higher than I thought I had given it, and it made me wonder "Really?! Do I still like it? Should I?". I didn't change it as I haven't seen either in a while, but it made me worry that I had overrated it (perhaps I have but hopefully not unwarranted) and perhaps a little guilty for liking it because you hear a lot about its flaws (and it does have them). But hearing Jacob and Zac's opinion on the series made me more confident in my own opinion of the series. Sure it's dumb but (aside from this film for the most part) it is entertaining and I can't and won't feel guilty for liking something entertaining. Thanks for that guys and the warning about the relative quality of the film.

Also I will do everything in my power to make Zac watch Samurai Champloo. Or someone else on the site I guess. I just want to watch Samurai Champloo with some critical feedback.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first season of SAO and never really bothered with it after the end of Fairy Dance. I really don't get the vitriol for it I mean you are allowed to like thing that aren't good and still acknowledge that they are not good. Well just found out about the Straw Poll to decide the next series discussion and even if it's over I voted for Fate/Stay Night admittedly I don't follow Zac on Twitter so I just found out about it on this episode of ANNcast.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
Sorry, not twitter or email, or whatever, but yes Zac, I listen to EVERY episode all the way to the end. Wink

Your guys's discussion of SAO was actually remarkably fun. I am not a fan of the series, but have similar feelings about it as you. Though I have yet to watch the second season, because I kind of find that kind of stupid to generally be really frustrating to watch. I will never attack the fanbase or jump on the hate wagon though. People can watch and like whatever the hell they want.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like A1 Pictures cheaped out again. There's no focus over there, it's all for a simple paycheque.

Would you put Sword Art Online as something you don't bring up on certain sites? I've brought up various shows on other sites and got torn up for it. The problem is YouTube very prominent in our society to the point that we revolve around it. YouTube raped the franchise as a whole and promises to continue to.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
^No, like they said, it was because the director (and another important creative staff member whose position I forget, animation director maybe?) were working on another project (Erased) and prioritized that over this, and I can't bring myself to disagree with their priorities. I wouldn't have wanted Erased to look worse so the scenes outside the boss battles looked better in this movie.

Speaking of, I just came back from seeing it, and while I liked the middle hour better than Jake and Zac (albeit it did seem a bit long), yeah there were definitely parts that I thought "That's dumb", of the same things that Jake mentioned in the podcast, not that I doubted the characterization of those things.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just got back from the film and can confirm everything that Zac and Jacob said about it. It's not good. I haven't seen the second season, but felt like hanging out with my friend and he's a fan, so I tagged along. He liked it, I didn't. I guess the moral of the story is, fans of SAO will probably like it, those who aren't, probably won't change their minds. The same dumb writing as usual, Reki proving he has no idea how memories, the brain, computers, or any of that stuff works among other things. But the action scenes were exciting at least. And there were a couple of nice moments between Asuna and Kirito. I hated how her character was treated in the first season, but at least their relationship exists, unlike in so many other anime. That's something, at least.

One thing that I find really interesting about this franchise is that there are a lot of female fans. I can't say I really understand why, honestly. The show is about Kirito and most of the female characters are really poorly developed archetypes, so that is just something that baffles me. Then again, it baffles me that people can overlook the writing in this show so readily as well. Anyway, that's all I've got to say about it. I try not to hate on the show too much. It's just not my thing, I guess.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah there were more female fans than I expected, though I cannot speak to why of course.

For the female characters, what I will say is that they are archetypes for a reason. They may not be the best developed or even the best versions of those archetypes, but at least in my experience, it frequently is more if they match the type one prefers rather than how well developed the character is, though that is always nice if they are well developed.

Seems like we saw it at the same time. Wonder if it was the same place too.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^No, like they said, it was because the director (and another important creative staff member whose position I forget, animation director maybe?) were working on another project (Erased) and prioritized that over this, and I can't bring myself to disagree with their priorities. I wouldn't have wanted Erased to look worse so the scenes outside the boss battles looked better in this movie.
Yeah but Erased was a mess as well and one should focus their budget on the medium that requires more effort.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well it wasn't the direction that was a mess with Erased. It isn't really a problem of money either. I won't say more money wouldn't have had any effect, but it seemed an issue of time not money, and like what was said in Nisekoi's second season, time is money but money isn't time. Money cannot buy time. (Whatever you think of that series, I think the sentiment is very applicable to the problems of rushed work in anime).
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Well it wasn't the direction that was a mess with Erased. It isn't really a problem of money either. I won't say more money wouldn't have had any effect, but it seemed an issue of time not money, and like what was said in Nisekoi's second season, time is money but money isn't time. Money cannot buy time. (Whatever you think of that series, I think the sentiment is very applicable to the problems of rushed work in anime).
Erased's direction was excellent. The writing and presentation were poor and predictable alongside the lack of research relyat08 was talking about. A1 Pictures should stop working on so many projects at once then. Everything they work on is a mess in one way due to their lack of focus and their need to create as many shows as possible.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
^The writing issues, lack of research and all of that can be blamed on the source for both of these properties, and aren't really A-1's fault at all.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Yeah there were more female fans than I expected, though I cannot speak to why of course.

For the female characters, what I will say is that they are archetypes for a reason. They may not be the best developed or even the best versions of those archetypes, but at least in my experience, it frequently is more if they match the type one prefers rather than how well developed the character is, though that is always nice if they are well developed.

I don't particularly mind archetypes, if they are ones that I like, but yeah, of course it helps if they are also well developed. I've just met a surprising number of female fans of the show who I wouldn't necessarily expect to like those types of characters. I think I can understand the appeal of Asuna though. On the flip side, to be fair, I suppose I have nothing against archetypal male characters if their archetype is something I like, so I guess that's probably the case on both sides. I did notice girls laughing at some of the "moe" antics of a Silica, and whatnot.

Quote:
Seems like we saw it at the same time. Wonder if it was the same place too.

Haha, was curious too. If you were in Mosaic, it's probably fairly likely. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2