• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Niantic: 'This Summer Will be Legendary' for Pokémon Go

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
Last summer should've been legendary. At least more than 2 weeks worth.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
The 27 people still playing this will get a kick out of it.
ETX

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:

Add 23 to that 27 and times it by 100,000 and that's still the player-base for Go.

Hardly a massive number considering it had 70+ million at it's peak, but I'd hazard a guess they'd draw in a few more players if Legendary's are coming.

...Finally.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Too late niantic most of the player base has deserted the game.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:

I certainly wish there were only 27 people playing, maybe I'd be able to hold on to gyms for more than an hour
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I just wish my area wasn't infested with Mystics with Australian APKs. Even if I take a gym I can't hold it because there's literally no one else around on my team.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't introducing Legendary Pokémon as catchable (assuming that's what he means) break the game? I mean, there's a reason why any base 670 or higher Legendary is banned in all competitions, official and unofficial. (Currently, that'd be just Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-oh, but Mew and Celebi are banned from official competitions due to their Mythical status and Mew is often banned from unofficial ones due to facing one being like rolling a 30-sided die where 29 sides mean you've just lost at least one of your Pokémon).

Pokémon GO as it currently is has severe balance problems. Then again, maybe becuase it has severe balance problems, it wouldn't matter.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
The original trailer showed Legendaries to be done in raid-type battles. Most likely, you wouldn't be able to use them in gyms, although given the battle system in GO, they wouldn't be so overpowered.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The original trailer showed Legendaries to be done in raid-type battles. Most likely, you wouldn't be able to use them in gyms, although given the battle system in GO, they wouldn't be so overpowered.

Hmm, I see. I remember when the game was dominated by Dragonite, Vaporeon, and Clefable though, and that led me to believe the balance was quite off-whack. About 90% of gyms around where I traveled had one of those three.

If they ever implement the head-to-head battling (which I'm surprised they still haven't), I do hope they limit the Legendaries' power or usability in them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Hmm, I see. I remember when the game was dominated by Dragonite, Vaporeon, and Clefable though, and that led me to believe the balance was quite off-whack. About 90% of gyms around where I traveled had one of those three.

Oh, that hasn't changed at all, basically all gyms are some combination of Gyarados, Vaporeon, Dragonite, Rhydon plus Gen 2 Blissey and Tyranitar. In that sense it's quite dull, I truly wonder why they made such harsh differences in power levels and Max CP among different species. It's unappealing because rather than make a team of your favorite pokemon, you're kind of forced to pick from that lot if you want to be competitive in gyms. In Fire Red, my strongest pokemon was a Raichu, but in Go he's pretty much useless
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon GO is sure to be an exciting sight!
...at least for the few millions that are still dedicated to it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Oh, that hasn't changed at all, basically all gyms are some combination of Gyarados, Vaporeon, Dragonite, Rhydon plus Gen 2 Blissey and Tyranitar. In that sense it's quite dull, I truly wonder why they made such harsh differences in power levels and Max CP among different species. It's unappealing because rather than make a team of your favorite pokemon, you're kind of forced to pick from that lot if you want to be competitive in gyms. In Fire Red, my strongest pokemon was a Raichu, but in Go he's pretty much useless

Wait, didn't they issue some sort of balance patch at some sort? I could've sworn Vaporeon was nerfed in some way, at the very least.

I definitely remember Generation I of the video games themselves were horridly unbalanced. I mean, you can say the balance isn't so great even in Pokémon Sun and Moon, but Generation I was basically Psychic-types squishing everything that wasn't Dragonite. But that's not the sort of thing you're supposed to go for.

As for why these harsh differences are there, my best guess is because this is the Niantic staff's first time making a game with competition between players. A fallacy designers inexperienced at both playing and making such games commonly commit is that certain options can be more powerful if you make them harder to obtain (almost every collectible card game was like this at the beginning, for instance), or they just don't care about balance because they're the sort to not care when they themselves play (a mindset easy to develop if you've only ever played with friends and not with random people online). It's only when gameplay becomes centralized around a few options and people tune out because it's getting boring and repetitive that they realize they'll need to put more thought into making as many options viable as possible.

I don't know if the Niantic people have caught on to that, or if they think Dragonite, Vaporeon, Blissey, Gyarados, and such are just popular for aesthetic reasons (which they actually are).

Well, I do have one more possibility. It's unlikely but possible: They may be the sort to deliberately make some options way more powerful than others to provide an easy road for people. When people learn that I do Pokémon battles (as in the main series games), I would often be asked, "Who is the best Pokémon to use?" as if there was a clear answer. The reason they ask is because they want to know about that easy road to winning battles. When I tell them that there's no clear-cut answer because everything has a counter (maybe except for Mega Rayquaza), they always, ALWAYS, get either confused or disappointed: They don't like it when a game is sufficiently balanced because they have to make their own decisions and commit to whatever they chose, and it means they can't just stomp on everyone they face. These are the people who want to come to a swordfight with a shotgun. If whoever's responsible for the CP in Pokémon GO is this sort of person, I can see them intentionally designing it in this way to give people those easy roads.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I only started playing like three months ago and barely got into gyms about two months ago so I wouldn't know if there was any significant rebalancing. I've heard people say they depowered Lapras, but that's about it. There's still less than a dozen pokemon taking up all gyms because the CP caps are so drastically unbalanced. I have, for instance a high stat Rapidash, but it's useless to try and power it up for gyms because its CP cap is at least 400 points beneath, for instance, an Arcanine with regular stats. If you want to compete in gyms you have to focus on a very limited group of pokemon that aren't necessarily your favorites and that takes a lot of fun out of it for me
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I only started playing like three months ago and barely got into gyms about two months ago so I wouldn't know if there was any significant rebalancing. I've heard people say they depowered Lapras, but that's about it. There's still less than a dozen pokemon taking up all gyms because the CP caps are so drastically unbalanced. I have, for instance a high stat Rapidash, but it's useless to try and power it up for gyms because its CP cap is at least 400 points beneath, for instance, an Arcanine with regular stats. If you want to compete in gyms you have to focus on a very limited group of pokemon that aren't necessarily your favorites and that takes a lot of fun out of it for me

Yeah, I've been there with many games prior to Pokémon GO. I'm a Johnny-type player (that is, I like to get creative, play with my favorites, preferring rarely-seen choices, inherently nonconformist), so it does hurt when a game is designed where the balance is so bad that even the most-skilled player cannot beat an intermediate if you pick a suboptimal choice.

I would still say that in nearly all cases, games designed like this were designed out of naïveté: The designers don't realize the problems they cause because they've never played any games where game balance matters. (Though it looks like Niantic does care to an extent, considering the article mentions they removed Legendary Pokémon because they felt they'd be too overpowering.) Knowing why won't help your Rapidash beat those Arcanines, of course, but it does get my brain churning on what sort of person would think this is okay.

(Of course, it's still quite difficult for a Rapidash in a main-series game to defeat an Arcanine, but it CAN be done.)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I didn't mean it as wanting to beat Arcanine with Rapidash, but as being somewhat forced to choose Arcanine for my team over Rapidash even though the latter has better IV. In this particular example I'm fine because I like Arcanine, but I'm sad my Rapidash is pmuch useless in the major leagues, or that I have to power up Rhydons that I don't like over, say, Umbreon or Raichu if I want to have any hopes of taking a gym
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2