• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kickstarter to Allow Projects Directly From Japan Later This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
That's fine, but that doesn't guarantee your project will be more likely to be backed, just 'cus there's a little less red tape to get it off the ground.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Good. Should make it easier for worldwide audiences to donate to Japanese efforts.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope in future then they allow any projects launched in Japan, like In This Corner of the World to be able to be funded from abroad.
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I hope this also allows us to fund more seasons of our favourite shows while funding new projects.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This could be interesting. I wouldn't mind helping to fund new seasons for shows I enjoyed enough.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, well just remember. The idea behind crowdfunding (let alone Kickstarter) is that you're helping a project to get funded, and as a result, get started. That's all. In this case, funding a project created in Japan, doesn't (always) mean it will actually come out in other countries. With this in mind, unless they say so outright, we should ask first if a project will come out in other countries (and IMHO, we should also ask if it will also be available for non-Kickstarter members as well).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
This could be useful for getting both Japanese and Western funds into a project that benefits both. For example (yeah, here I go again), the Muv-Luv visual novel Kickstarter funded some technical improvements and a Steam release that Japanese gamers benefitted from, even though the KS was mostly bankrolled by Western supporters.

Maybe for things that have a long Japanese-to-English delay (VNs, LNs, manga, games), a Japanese project that solicits Western support could speed things up, since they'd need to be serving both audiences from day one. That said, this could be really challenging for project owners that have to communicate with both audiences (would updates go out in both Japanese and English, for example? Is that already happening with anime Kickstarters?)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Maybe for things that have a long Japanese-to-English delay (VNs, LNs, manga, games), a Japanese project that solicits Western support could speed things up, since they'd need to be serving both audiences from day one. That said, this could be really challenging for project owners that have to communicate with both audiences (would updates go out in both Japanese and English, for example? Is that already happening with anime Kickstarters?)

I don't know about anime, but I have backed video games from Japanese people, and they did bilingual updates and always had translators on hand.
Jason Rhoades

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh hot darn. I am loving this. I would personally throw a season's box set worth at any of these continuations: (With more money being thrown the further you go down this list.)

1. Yona of the Dawn
2. Ouran High School Host Club
3. Usagi Drop
4. Spice and Wolf
5. Silver Spoon
6. My Love Story
7. Chihayafuru
8. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
9. Death Parade
10. Noragami (Will probably happen regardless)

And I would also probably donate my entire savings account to a remake of Naoki Urasawa's Monster.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
There's an extra warning for backers from English-speaking countries, especially those with the Common Law ones: Japan doesn't use it, so if a Japanese KS wants to scam non-Japanese ones, especially Americans, you will be out of luck, since you will be at the mercy of their laws, not yours.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know this wasn't the case before...
I've backed a number of kickstarters for anime and they always have an international translator, but I thought that was just for ease of international communication. Anyway, I don't really see this changing anything, at least not nearly as much as some seem to be thinking. It's just going to make it so that they have can have their translator somewhere in Japan with them, rather than abroad. I don't expect a lot of Japanese companies to suddenly try using kickstarter as an avenue for funding sequels or whatnot.
BlastoidFromThePastoid

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
I think it would be actually beneficial for doujin authors and smaller animators to get on board the platform, rather than the titans of the industry.

From the looks of it funding an original anime film at a sum of $1 million USD (about the same as the one for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) would be difficult. Under the Dog struggled to reach that amount for an OVA and the final result disappointed backers. In This Corner of the World held its crowdfunding in order to attract interest from larger investors. Meanwhile projects like Kick Heart had a lot more success, at least for Yuasa's career. At smaller goals indie creators can use the platform's global reach to get their projects out there and get potential supporters they otherwise might not have reached. It would also be more feasible to fund translation efforts like the one for Time of Eve.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
BlastoidFromThePastoid wrote:
From the looks of it funding an original anime film at a sum of $1 million USD (about the same as the one for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) would be difficult. Under the Dog struggled to reach that amount for an OVA and the final result disappointed backers.

Nekopara OVA actually finished just shy of $1 million($963,376) and the after-campaign actually took it well over it. It also became the most funded animation on kickstarter, surpassing Under the Dog...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
The chances of getting a 12-episode TV anime (15-min. episodes) are low. In the chance that happens (we are probably looking at $250-$500K minimum), a rewards package could be that is available worldwide (except in Japan).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
I suppose the downside of this is that it will allow Yamakan's next Kickstarter to annoy twice as many people worldwide at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2