• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Skin Clinic Accidentally Adopts Resident Evil's Umbrella Corp. Logo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this going around on facebook I thought it was elaborate promotional thing for biohazard/resident evil, not a real skin care company unknowingly using umbrella logo.
Its funny nonetheless.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Seems legit. I hope the copyright owners are understanding to this situation and allow them some time to change/remove it before suing them...
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who works in the commercial graphics industry, they had to have spent literally THOUSANDS of dollars on signage, lettering, custom uniforms, and various promotional items with their own "unique" logo on them. Now all that stuff is going to have to be replaced and/or destroyed just to avoid a potential lawsuit from Capcom over unintentional copyright infringement. Whoever the third party they hired is, they REALLY bent them over a barrel with this prank.

I know I should feel sorry for them, and deep down I do, but I still can't help but find the entire thing hilarious. Laughing
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
For some reason it looked like the logo of one of Mahouka's highschool's...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
However this situation plays out, this company is going to be seriously weighed down by a bunch of debt from this copyright fiasco, and it's all thanks to a graphics designer that foolishly thought copying Umbrella Corp.'s logo wouldn't have any potential repercussions.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Seems legit. I hope the copyright owners are understanding to this situation and allow them some time to change/remove it before suing them...

Typically a company will issue a Cease-and-Desist order first, but since they're ceasing-and-desisting of their own accord, and it seems like it was honestly something out of their control, and an honest mistake, Capcom probably has no reason to put forth any action.

Lawsuits are expensive for big companies, too, and I imagine many of them like to avoid them whenever possible, too.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that Capcom will be taking any legal actions. The only reason to take legal action would be to make the company stop using the logo, and the company's own reaction to the discovery of the copy indicates that Capcom doesn't need to take action to make the company stop using it. They never intended to use it in the first place, and will be stopping of their own accord.

Even if Capcom's reaction wasn't a concern, the company for their part would still likely to moving to change the logo. A medical center is unlikely to want an association between themselves and a fictional criminal copy guilty of illegal medical experiments and various atrocities. Explaining the shared logo to people newly discovering it would be an ongoing distraction, and even when it was taken as a joke, that might lead to people questioning their professionalism and looking elsewhere for treatment. All in all there'd be no upsides for the company to keep the logo when they wanted something unique to begin with.

For that matter, I wonder what, if any actions they'll take to get compensation from whatever graphic designer gave them the design. They likely paid decent money for an original, unique logo, and they got a stolen logo they could easily have been sued over. That's the sort of thing you go looking for a refund over at the least, if not looking to recover the cost of replacing the logo and all the materials the logo had been put on.
Tind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when will Sony start their lawsuit -_-
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I think they can get away with it because the logo isn't trademark, the video game is.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
SENPAI-- wrote:
I think they can get away with it because the logo isn't trademark, the video game is.

Pretty sure the logo is trademarked, considering how iconic it is for the games...
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
SENPAI-- wrote:

Pretty sure the logo is trademarked, considering how iconic it is for the games...
yeah, pretty sure the logo would be trademarked. and the game would be copyrighted, not trademarked.

copyrights are to protect physical (or digital) works (books, movies, music, games, art, and such), while trademarks are for protecting things that identify a franchise or company (logos, mascots, etc...). that's a little simplistic an explanation, but it's enough to point out a game wouldn't be trademarked but an iconic design, logo, or character from it can be trademarked. you'd copyright a game, you'd trademark logos and important characters/mascots in them.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
They're probably not very happy with the 3rd party company they hired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1