• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Return of "Lupin The Third" To Adult Swim

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Last weekend saw the return of Japan's favorite thief to American television with "Lupin the Third" returning to Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. If anybody didn't know,this wasn't Lupin's first time on the channel. The second series was dubbed into English first by Streamline Pictures in 1994 and later by Geneon nine years later. The Geneon cast showed up for this most recent one.
This series takes place in Italy. Not a bad place to be I'm sure,but I don't know how the Japanese audience felt about having an entire "Lupin The Third" series take place in sunny Italy. Most other "Lupin" shows like go to around the world,not stay in one setting for very long. It would be as though as the people who made this series decided that there'd be a "Lupin The Third" series set in South Africa or the United States. As much as I would like to see that,I don't know how interesting that would be. The series should be what it was earlier,Lupin and Company gallivanting to who-knows-where with Zenigata right on their heels trying to catch them. What do you guys think? Please comment on this. That would make me really happy if you did and it would be appreciated as well.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
This is all fine and dandy but you have to remember as a Lupin fan you're pretty much niche in a hobby that's already niche...

In other words, the series has NEVER been that popular in the US aside from Castle of Cagliostro which manages to sell no matter who has the license at the time.

I like the series. I'll praise it, evangelize it, promote it to get more people to notice it.
I love it and appreciate it better than James Bond which I think is the closest live-action analogue.

But I'm also NOT going to kid myself.
It will never be as popular as more basic anime shows like Dragonball Z or Naruto.

The air time of the Lupin III series in the US -- past and present -- also hasn't done it any favors.

They're showing it at 2AM from what I've read... That was also about the same time if not later that they aired Lupin III, Part 2, the series that Geneon licensed and produced the dub that aired on CN years ago. (I don't have cable -- just Internet. I got sick of all the reality TV and frankly wasn't impressed by the satellite TV offerings I saw in my parents' home. I haven't regretted ditching terrestrial TV and NOT picking up cable or streaming.)

The air time doesn't help promote the new show. It's at the worst time on the day of the week where most people are bound to be out of home and getting wasted or sleeping if they're not insomniacs. I don't know who does the programming for Adult Swim and it would be nice if there were a streaming option for people who don't have DVR's or don't want to record the series.

AS/CN really doesn't do the anime companies many favors with the way they program their channel. But then I haven't heard many people who've stuck with CN since its early broadcast days that care for what the channel is showing now or how it's being run. I certainly don't care for CN now and think it's being run by monkeys and people who are indifferent. The new original series are shit, IMHO. It's nothing I'd watch and if I had kids I'd want them to watch "brainier" shows like Scooby-Doo (and I HATED Scooby-Doo when I was a kid, too).

The best chance anime had on that channel was in the early 2000s but even then CN just didn't get the ratings most had hoped for. They had a week of anime at decent showtime hours (between 4-6PM for "robot week") and people STILL didn't tune in.

I give up! Sometimes, cultural/bred-in mentalities about certain forms of entertainment just won't budge.

The majority of people out there still think animation is either the Simpsons/Family Guy brand or something more idiotic like the majority of newer CN shows like Teen Titans Go.
Those people will never acknowledge alternative POV's -- it's just like politics and people stuck on two-party systems... These are the same guys that have made the careers of Michael Bay and Zack Snyder.

Lupin's best chance is on streaming service like Hulu or Netflix. CN is a dead-end...
They're showing the Lupin III, Part 2 episodes (at least half the dubbed episodes) on Hulu. Last I saw when I visited family, the show still holds up.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well,GeorgeC. I'm not a Lupin fan. I just thought I'd let everyone know about that "Lupin the Third" had come back to Adult Swim. My opinion was that they decided to set the new series in Italy mostly because it was probably popular there. If there ever was a "Lupin" series set in America,it might get some attention here,but not a lot. I wouldn't say "Lupin the Third" is an unpopular show here. I'd say the show is middling at best. Again,I just wanted to let people know about the show and that it had returned to American television. That's all.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The only parts of the vast Lupin The Third franchise I've seen so far are The Castle of Cagliostro and Lupin The Third, Part 4 (the one set in Italy). Based on that meagre exposure, I'm still prepared to call myself a fan. I own the first 14 (out of 15) volumes of Lupin the Third, Part 2 but haven't watched them yet.

I agree with GeorgeC that Lupin will only ever be a niche title but I'm glad it's getting the Adult Swim exposure.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The only parts of the vast Lupin The Third franchise I've seen so far are The Castle of Cagliostro and Lupin The Third, Part 4 (the one set in Italy). Based on that meagre exposure, I'm still prepared to call myself a fan. I own the first 14 (out of 15) volumes of Lupin the Third, Part 2 but haven't watched them yet..

Fuma Conspiracy is another good movie.

Right now in Japan, one TV network is in the middle of airing a season's worth of reruns selected by reader poll from Parts I-III. This week at #13 in the countdown was a Part 2 episode where they were after King Tut's mask. I suspect that when this best-of season ends, they'll go right into the Part IV sequel that's coming up. I'm not a huge fan of Lupin III overall, but I really enjoyed Part IV, so I'm looking forward to More of That.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

This series takes place in Italy. Not a bad place to be I'm sure,but I don't know how the Japanese audience felt about having an entire "Lupin The Third" series take place in sunny Italy. Most other "Lupin" shows like go to around the world,not stay in one setting for very long. It would be as though as the people who made this series decided that there'd be a "Lupin The Third" series set in South Africa or the United States.

The reasoning is simple and not arbitrary at all. Unlike its reception in the United States, Lupin III is extremely popular in Italy. They wanted more, the producers heard them and made the series to fit the most enthusiastic audience. The first episode actually premiered in Italy a full month before it did in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, I really enjoyed Part 4 in Italy, and I believe I heard some time ago that a Part 5 set in France was on the way. Perhaps we can still get the globe-trotting experience – just not quite as rapidly. Am I wrong about the France thing?

Edit: After some quick googling I found that Part 5 is indeed set in France. I am always on board for more Lupin the Third! animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-06/lupin-iii-gets-5th-anime-series-set-in-france/.118492
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1