• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Enjoying Pokémon GO Fest Despite Its Problems

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Even some players worldwide may have some issues.

I live not too far from a rural city where only Articuno raids have appeared in some of the Gyms that I have been to so far, which is where the problem is.

Rural areas tend to have less players, and given that raids involving Legendary Pokémon require the participation of lots of players (at least over 20 in particular) and cannot be done alone, the chances that I can be able to finish those raids are quite rather slim.

On the bright side of things, I have been able to hatch 2, 5, and 10 km eggs that I got in the past few months more quickly to the point where I managed to evolve a second Chansey that I got through hatching a 10 km egg. I'm also shaping up to have my own Dragonite anytime soon even though it might happen towards the end of the global rewards period.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for people complaining or voicing issues, provided they do it an adult and civil manner.

One of the things that really bothered me about this was when people got angry at NIantic over cell coverage issues. Like I get they were frustrated they couldn't play but that was something way out of Niantic's control, they can't be expected to totally overhaul a city's cellular infrastructure for one convention.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Alright, first off...The person who threw the water bottle at the host was dumb for having done that.

While I honestly didn't enjoy all of the booing and the "Fix the game" chants that have been going on at Pokémon GO Fest, it's a situation that Niantic had to had seen coming. With the combination of long lines, connection problems, spoofers, rainy weather, and overcrowded pagoda housing, it was only a matter of time before the powder keg would blow up. Not a situation one would find enjoyable after spending $100's for hotel and traveling expenses.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
One of the things that really bothered me about this was when people got angry at NIantic over cell coverage issues. Like I get they were frustrated they couldn't play but that was something way out of Niantic's control, they can't be expected to totally overhaul a city's cellular infrastructure for one convention.

Verizon begs to differ...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
No, Niantic really should have seen the coverage thing coming. Anyone who has ever gone to a large outdoor public event can attest, the more people in an area, the slower the network goes. Contacting the cellphone companies seemed like an afterthought. What should have been done is that Niantic needed to spend the money to bring in portable towers so that people could use those instead of relying on the local network.

While it's great that everyone who lived in Chicago could take advantage of a 100% legendary catch rate, the rates outside have been pretty miserable for most. I have gone on several legendary raids this week and have seen children become easily discouraged because they continue to fail to catch them, and I've seen some ugly behavior from parents of these children, such as my favorite who, after his kid couldn't catch Articuno, rubbed it in his son's face that he caught the creature. Four days after legendaries were introduced to the area, I'm not seeing children going after them anymore...I'm seeing adults who want perfect IVs and don't mind driving anywhere within a 20 mile radius to make that happen.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
The cellular issue is 100% Niantic's fault for one reason:
The game DOES work over WiFi. Since PokemonGo FEST was over such a small area, they should've wired up the park with hotspots to cover what they KNEW was going to be a VERY crowded event. ESPECIALLY since they had specific locations that were intended to see certain activities. Failure to provide that is all on event Orgs rather than relying on Cell companies to "probably" handle the load.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1