• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Gets a New Layout

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Now that certainly gave me a surprise... Shocked
Still, I quite like it - a change is as good as a rest, they say.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
Wow.

I knew something new was on the way, but this is quite an improvement over the old, cluttered version.

And just the other day I was wondering how one might move the ads so they didn't stretch the screen on smaller resolutions. Good job, guys!

Question, though: What made you decide to switch from PHP to Ruby on Rails? I've used PHP for a while, and I've read a bit about ROR, but never been interested enough to look into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
VERY nice guys, I like it a lot. Clean, inviting look with a clear interface. The color palette could use some work but thats a minor thing. I look forward to the new stuff.

Thanks form keeping ANN on the cutting edge, in style and tech as well as in Anime and Manga coverage.
zliplus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
So this is the new thing that I heard about - it's a much larger change than I expected Surprised

I love this new look though. It's simultaneously more savvy and clean. I especially like the way there's a direct link to the different article columns, and most especially the my manga section Very Happy
minuet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
I know this is a silly minor detail. but will there be new skin choices for the site? I was really fond of that xxxHOLiC one. If they are actually here somewhere, where can I find them?
giberwitz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
are you getting a new mascot too? there's too much empty (white) space at the top. just an opinion maybe just tighten up the amount of space between the ad bar and the top of the title ,on this page Forums. it takes up about half a page before you get any information

Last edited by giberwitz on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
It will take a little bit of getting used to, but I like it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll need to try it out for a bit before I really know how much I like it, but I don't dislike it...it's just going to take some adjusting.
giberwitz

sorry if I'm being overly critical. it's kind of a habit, I have a friend who is a web designer and he sends me stuff to check out....also didn't the logo use to link back to the fromt page?
Rin Tohsaka

Thumbs up here. The site looks very professional now, whereas the old one looked like it was stuck in the early to mid nineties... Razz
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction was that I didn't like it. However, anything better wasn't obvious to me on my first knee-jerk reaction, so I'm going to explore the site more and report back sometime later today...

However, one thing I do like is the new logo and the subtitle underneath. Very nice looking.

giberwitz wrote:
are you getting a new mascot too? there's too much empty (white) space at the top. just an opinion maybe just tighten up the amount of space between the ad bar and the top of the title ,on this page Forums. it takes up about half a page before you get any information

Please don't get a mascot. My least favorite thing about your site yesterday and before was that mascot, so don't do it again. I think the current logo is much better.
jay-jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Overall I think its a nice clean layout, an improvement over the original. The only thing that I dislike is the white space, especially towards the top of the layout.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason, ANN has been very slow for me in the past couple of months, but since it's loaded up at a much faster rate than it has, I am completely in favor of this. Plus, the design is sleak and professional, but still retains the ANN feel to it. I look forward to the design tweaks and additions in the coming future, but I'm very pleased with this so far.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Am I only the one who doesn't like it? I don't think there was a need for change.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
..I thought I'd mistyped the URL then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12