• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Macoto Takahashi Featured in Comme des Garcons Fashion Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So pretty. We need a nice fancy coffee-table book of his works from a US/European publisher, or at least a good bilingual Japanese one...

So many of the most influential shoujo illustrators/mangaka of the 20's through 60's were men, it's kind of strange that there are so few men working in shoujo anymore. Not that it shouldn't have turned into a female-driven media category (that's one of it's great strengths), but you'd think that if there were a steady inflow of dudes who made a career out of drawing sparkles and flowers over the first 40+ years of shoujo existing as a thing, there would be some today too...

I mean, it's hard to believe that male artists today would be more afraid of being seen to "like girl stuff" than they were in the 1960's. We've gotten at least a little more flexible about gender roles since then, haven't we?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
I mean, it's hard to believe that male artists today would be more afraid of being seen to "like girl stuff" than they were in the 1960's. We've gotten at least a little more flexible about gender roles since then, haven't we?

IIRC, weekly shounen and seinen manga series are where the real money is.
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
lebrel wrote:

IIRC, weekly shounen and seinen manga series are where the real money is.

Yes, but that's always been true... possibly even more so in the first half of the century, before the shoujo audience expanded to include teens (and hip adults). And if women can support themselves writing shoujo, why can't men?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1