• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsunoko Productions Takes 50 Million Net Loss in 2017

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
is that amount a big deal over in japan, or is it because of the size of the company.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
If the company is big enough revenue wise then that amount isn't a problem, in some cases it would be no more than rounding errors. If the company has a small enough revenue figure then that loss would be "Lock the doors, send every one home." deadly serious.

Anime companies in general fall into the latter category.

Mark Gosdin
Paulo27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Considering the stuff they have been doing recently it's not surprise at all. Each new work they do is more obscure than the previous one.
They are a good studio but they keep making stuff no one watches.
Sure wish we could get more Yozakura Quartet from them though.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Sad to hear this news.

Tatsunoko produces generally good shows like C, Yatterman Night, Gatchaman Crowds, Casshern Sins, Karas, etc.

It's just that we live in the My Hero Academia/Love Live/Tokyo Ghoul era where these are the kind of shows people watch and talk about while other shows that are really good like the ones I mentioned aboved are pushed aside because anime fans just don't seem to care and that's really sad.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Considering the stuff they have been doing recently it's not surprise at all. Each new work they do is more obscure than the previous one.
They are a good studio but they keep making stuff no one watches.
Sure wish we could get more Yozakura Quartet from them though.

To you maybe, but plenty of their stuff are actually quite well known even after decades. I recall their "reboot of old franchise" are generally pretty well received, except Yatterman Night (sales wise).

I wonder if the he new Time bokan wasn't as well received?
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how their Pripara franchise is doing in Japan.

I remember that I really wanted to like the new Time Bokan. Production-wise, it's pretty good. But the story just didn't sit right with me. I felt their newer works just didn't have the spirit that their classics had. I mean, Gatchaman Crowds is interesting albeit perplexing, but it hardly has anything the made the original Gatchaman so cool.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
Isn't Tatsunoko part of the Production I.G family, which itself was an offshoot? In such a case as bankruptcy and liquidation, I would imagine they would be merged and any overlap trimmed.
Tratious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Isn't Tatsunoko part of the Production I.G family, which itself was an offshoot? In such a case as bankruptcy and liquidation, I would imagine they would be merged and any overlap trimmed.

Yes and No. IG Port owns shares of Tatsunoko, but not enough to make them a subsidiary company, I think IG only owns like 12% of Tatsunoko shares.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

Kinda, but not quite. It's pretty complicated.

Back in 2005, when Takara and Tomy merged, the company landed in the ownership of them, becoming a full subsidiary the following year (don't remember which half had a stake in the company before that, but it wasn't particularly huge). I.G would buy a stake in 2010, and eventually HoriPro and NTV would buy stakes in it too.

Currently the order in the hierarchy is NTV>TakaraTomy>HoriPro>Production.I.G.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I wonder how their Pripara franchise is doing in Japan.

I remember that I really wanted to like the new Time Bokan. Production-wise, it's pretty good. But the story just didn't sit right with me. I felt their newer works just didn't have the spirit that their classics had. I mean, Gatchaman Crowds is interesting albeit perplexing, but it hardly has anything the made the original Gatchaman so cool.

Getting it's butt whooped by Aikatsu Friends, seriously as someone who watches both Pri-chan and Aikatsu Friends, Aikatsu Friends is objectively the better anime by miles, better music (like 5 steps up from Aikatsu Stars), better characters (lots of best girls so far compared to Pri-Chan where most of the idols are meh save for Anna and Sara, Emo is alright when she performs alone), best ED of Spring, and way better performances (seriously the only performances that are great in Pri-Chan is Anna and Sara together, Mirai alone puts me to sleep).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1