• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fellow Voice Actors Respond to Hiromi Tsuru's Passing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
It might be worth mentioning fellow Dragon Ball seiyuu Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo) and Toru Furuya (Yamcha) have expressed their shock/condolences on Twitter. There are a couple more from Furukawa I haven't linked.

Yusuke Murata of Eyeshield 21/One Punch Man fame also drew a tribute sketch of Bulma.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Some of the Dragon Ball cast's reaction:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171117-00000027-flix-movi
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
It's hearting to see that so many her fellow seiyu are deeply affected by Tsuru-san's death, the depth of affection and sorrow shows that she was truly someone amazing.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial (dub voice of Bulma) also tweeted about it:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rialisms/status/931540140027187200
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I've only recently heard Hiromi's voice in Dragonball Super having grown up with the English dub, and none of the other sub's I've watched have casted her but I can say she is
easily my favorite voice in super.

Will be sad to see her go.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
It's hearting to see that so many her fellow seiyu are deeply affected by Tsuru-san's death, the depth of affection and sorrow shows that she was truly someone amazing.

Indeed, well said.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Well, if you look at her list of credits she HAD been doing voice over for about twice as long as most of the SENIOR VETERAN American anime voice over artists! Most of the people who are ADR voice directors/script writers on the American side started probably 20 years ago.

Yeah, she was around for practically forty years -- she'd been doing voiceovers since she was in her late teens.

Again, I'm repeating myself, she was probably in AT LEAST the top 10-15 female anime voiceover artists in Japan. A very few number of actresses would be considered higher rank than her in voiceovers. I've been watching anime regularly for 25 years and I noticed her as a performer in many, many of the shows I've seen even if it was only a supporting role.

For more people, she's known as THE voice of Bulma from the original Japanese version of Dragonball. I know her better from Ranma 1/2 (Ukyo Kuonji) or Kimagure Orange Road (Madoka Ayukawa) since I've seen those series entirely in Japanese.

Speaking of which, I wish SOME company picked up the rights to the KOR series again (ALL the movies, the TV shows, the OVAs) and we WERE able to get it on Blu ray/high-definition format in the West. I think that series is probably the best thing she was involved with where she WAS part of the main cast. The KOR TV series actually aired in Japan around the same time that Dragonball began its 10-year anime run.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Her passing was indeed so sudden.
She will be sorely missed forever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1