• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi Nominated for Eisner Hall of Fame [2018-01-18]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I wish Takahashi-sensei wins an award in order to fully cement her legacy.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
She deserves to get inducted. she's the greatest female mangaka in the world
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hope she wins obviously Surprised
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
My only surprise is learning she isn't already in the Eisner Hall of Fame. She's been nominated three times previously... surely to God this time will be the charm?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
She NEEDS to win this. This is like Leo and the Oscar thing lol. Always passed off while deserving it. Absolutely will go down in history as one of these best mangka ever, regardless of gender.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
She’d better get it, but if the names they listed we all know Dave Gibbons is the real woo-in.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
She NEEDS to win this. This is like Leo and the Oscar thing lol. Always passed off while deserving it.

I would argue it's more comparable to Pete Rose being kept out of the Baseball Hall Of Fame... though Takahashi wasn't involved in betting within the industry she was involved in Razz
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
You really think winning a POPULARITY contest is going to "cement" her legacy?!?

Now, I know I'm reading a thread written by people on average in their late teens and 20s!

Listen, people -- her legacy is secure regardless of what stupid awards she DOESN'T win!

There are plenty of people who were tops in their fields who NEVER won the big awards.
The best actors I know of NEVER won an Oscar! It's usually the prettier people with the better agents who played dirtbags that won Oscars but guess what(?) -- most of these people are forgotten within years after their prime because they weren't great actors to begin with!

Takahashi's legacy is secure because of SALES of her manga in reprint volumes and the sheer amount of series and one-shots she wrote/drew that have been adapted into animation. It's a very good batting average even if nobody outside of Japan really cares about Rin-Ne (her current series) and her popularity crested well over a decade ago!

FYI, it's pretty much a given Takahashi has won the major manga awards IN JAPAN. I really don't think she stresses over how she's perceived in the US if she's like most creators who AREN'T Americans. Most creators are more concerned about how their home crowd perceives them. I fully expect the Eisner Award to go to an English-speaking comic creator, likely Dave Gibbons as one poster already wrote. There's nothing sinister or biased about that... Gibbons is just a better-known quantity within the industry (Western, America and Europe) that's giving out this award.
Anime really doesn't win Oscars or Annies because, well, it's made outside of the industry that gives out those awards. The Oscars and Annies are generally going to give first preference to the people working within in the home-grown (North American) industry. Heck, they have BAFTA in the UK (the British Oscars) to award THEIR filmmakers and actors because they can't expect the American Oscars to give out acting, directing, and technical awards to non-Americans every year!
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
Since Stan Lee is also a nominee, I'm rooting for him. Because he literally deserves a Life-time award for his decades in comics. Even Anime and Manga wouldn't have been the same without his influence.

Not to mention, the guy is 96. As it saddens me to say this, he doesn't have much time left in this world. So I think Rumiko can wait til the next awards ceremony.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Rumiko on being nominated again. With that said...stop nominating her if she's not going to win. People fall into zetsubou over these things.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
You really think winning a POPULARITY contest is going to "cement" her legacy?!?

Now, I know I'm reading a thread written by people on average in their late teens and 20s!

Listen, people -- her legacy is secure regardless of what stupid awards she DOESN'T win!

There are plenty of people who were tops in their fields who NEVER won the big awards.
The best actors I know of NEVER won an Oscar! It's usually the prettier people with the better agents who played dirtbags that won Oscars but guess what(?) -- most of these people are forgotten within years after their prime because they weren't great actors to begin with!

Takahashi's legacy is secure because of SALES of her manga in reprint volumes and the sheer amount of series and one-shots she wrote/drew that have been adapted into animation. It's a very good batting average even if nobody outside of Japan really cares about Rin-Ne (her current series) and her popularity crested well over a decade ago!

FYI, it's pretty much a given Takahashi has won the major manga awards IN JAPAN. I really don't think she stresses over how she's perceived in the US if she's like most creators who AREN'T Americans. Most creators are more concerned about how their home crowd perceives them. I fully expect the Eisner Award to go to an English-speaking comic creator, likely Dave Gibbons as one poster already wrote. There's nothing sinister or biased about that... Gibbons is just a better-known quantity within the industry (Western, America and Europe) that's giving out this award.
Anime really doesn't win Oscars or Annies because, well, it's made outside of the industry that gives out those awards. The Oscars and Annies are generally going to give first preference to the people working within in the home-grown (North American) industry. Heck, they have BAFTA in the UK (the British Oscars) to award THEIR filmmakers and actors because they can't expect the American Oscars to give out acting, directing, and technical awards to non-Americans every year!

I consider the Eisner Awards more of an insult these days Laughing Do we really want Takahashi being lumped in with the likes of Chip Zdarsky and Erica Henderson? The awards sure have gone down hill since the days of Alan Moore, Milo Manara, and Alex Ross,to say the least.

But yeah, given the manga industry is millions of times large and more successful, I'd say Japan's awards mean a whole lot more. Not winning an Eisner is like not winning a paper crown at Burger King. I'm sure she'll live.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
Too bad she won't accept the award since that requires her coming to America, and people seemed to forget about that interview that made her look like a xenophobic misandrist.

Also, I didn't know there was an Eisner Award for mangaka that can only draw five characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1