• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Discs Use Different Audio Formats?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
When it comes to lossy vs lossless, I agree that sometimes it makes practically no difference. But sometimes I can hear the difference straight away.

So do I watch Gankutsuou on DVD with its goregous unmolested visuals, but a tinny audio track that renders the glorious soundtrack subdued, muddy and hollow, or do I watch it on Blu-ray, with its rich, vibrant lossless audio, and its DNR travesty visuals? 1st world problem!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
If you really want to make fans mad, not including a particular track format when it is known to exist is the way to do it though, like having lossy audio on a disc in one region and lossless in another.

Quote:
Early in the DVD era, the bonus of 5.1 audio was thought to drive higher disc sales. (It didn't.)

well, it got me to buy the Poemy DVD for the gimmicky 5.1 commentary :p
I don't even have a 5.1 setup at moment (never got the gear set up after moving years ago, and currently using a soundbase under my TV).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
I don't consider myself an audiophile, however I do have some very good 2-Channel Stereo equipment. I've run into some releases that don't have good audio, but usually that is a result of either poor source materials or questionable work during the mastering process.

AC3, like MP3, under most circumstances is not really distinguishable from the lossless formats. Of course that will always be disputed since it is fundamentally a "Good Enough" vs "Perfect" argument.

I haven't fooled with 5.1 and the other home theater formats, my 2-Channel Stereo setups work just fine to hear all SFX in my anime.

Mark Gosdin
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
I've considered myself an audiophile for as long as I've been an Anime fan--close to 20 years at this point. I've used everything from a cheap hand-me-down TV to a fancy 5.1 surround system, to a high end stereo costing into the 10s of thousands of $$ and everything in between. I even was lucky enough to watch a few things in a privately owned home theater that was full-on T.H.X. certified by Lucasfilm that cost its owner well over a million $$. What I've learned over the years is that the quality of the hardware (preamp, amps, speakers, etc) is FAR more important than fancy "surround" setups or what encoding scheme is used on the disc.

You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of improving your system than you will trying to buy releases with the latest-and-greatest encoding schemes or "surround" formats.

I used to own a fancy surroud home theater. I got caught up in the "5.1", then 7.1...etc... I sold it all and went back to a good solid stereo. Remember that you only have two ears. Your brain can work out all the "surround" effects from two stereo channels. Focus on good quality equipment there and don't fall into the endless trap of keeping up with the latest codec buzzwords. These days I set my player to plain ol stereo (linear PCM preferred) even on discs which have surround sound available.
halo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll be the first to agree that a higher bitrate AC3 should not be noticeably different than uncompressed/lossless but any lossy encoding can introduce errors and artifacts. I don't see any reason on Blu-ray to use lossy compression, if you need to compress the audio down that far you should bite the bullet and increase the disc count.

The problem now is that we have, for all intents and purposes, reached the point where the technology has surpassed the limits of the human ear. To sell new equipment and give the marketing people new BS to sell we're grabbing at straws like Dolby Atmos.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I have seen some audio options for JP 5.1, I do not know if it was something that got included in a re-release or what.

I just had a quick look through some of my collection, and fount 5.1 on both Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy, oddly not for Michiko to Hatchin or Samurai Flamenco.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Given the number of dated, pre-digital masters that constitute our cherished DVD collections, I view audiophilia with a detached curiosity. Do audiophiles suffer a distinct displeasure from listening to older material that has not been (or cannot be) remastered? The benefits of such discernment seem dwarfed by the disadvantages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I know Funimation sometimes upscales (is that the correct word for audio?) stereo Japanese audio tracks to 5.1. Or was it 5.1 to 7.1? Either way, depending on the property, they sometimes go the extra mile to make sure the audio sounds better than the original they received from Japan.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
^The word you're looking for is upmix while upscale is usually meant for video.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
There was a time when Manga Ent used to whack every audio option onto their releases, turning some of them into 2 disc releases just to fit all the content. Even when the original source material was Japanese stereo, you'd still get it upmixed to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Most of those 5.1 mixes sounded pant anyway, and it was better just to watch them in stereo. Even stuff like the first few volumes of Naruto had DTS 5.1!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^The word you're looking for is upmix while upscale is usually meant for video.

Thanks! I figured "upscale" only refers to video, but I didn't know the term for audio.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Given the number of dated, pre-digital masters that constitute our cherished DVD collections, I view audiophilia with a detached curiosity. Do audiophiles suffer a distinct displeasure from listening to older material that has not been (or cannot be) remastered? The benefits of such discernment seem dwarfed by the disadvantages.

I can only speak for myself of course, but IMHO there is no "disadvantage" to discuss here. Whereas old cel animation can be remastered and released in a much higher resolution the same thing cannot be said for audio. The audio quality of a Blu-ray is no better than that of a DVD, CD, or laserdisc. Some audiophiles might argue that the uncompressed analog audio of a LD might even be preferable, though I cannot hear the difference myself. If anything audiophiles might argue that digital releases are worse than the alternative since some of them use lossy commpression.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
I know Funimation sometimes upscales (is that the correct word for audio?) stereo Japanese audio tracks to 5.1. Or was it 5.1 to 7.1? Either way, depending on the property, they sometimes go the extra mile to make sure the audio sounds better than the original they received from Japan.

Don't confuse adding extra channels with makinga anything "sound better". Some people think that, say, 7.1 must be "better" than 5.1 because hey, 7 is higher than 5! But that's far from true. No matter how many speakers you have you cannot add data to the audio tracks that was not originally present. Changing 5.1 to 7.1 isn't improving the qualty, it's just sticking a higher number there to try and upsell the product to a casual purchaser who doesn't really understand what's going on. The only way to make the audio sound better would be to go back and truly remaster it, and the hope the engineer does a better job than the original did. That is a very labor-intensive process. It might happen for a classic movie but I doubt anyone is doing that--especially for long-running series. The standard bitrate for digital audio hasn't changed in decades so this probably won't yield any improvement at all, unless you're talking about a very old show.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I'll take a crack at this. Smile

When it comes to DVD/Blu audio of older shows, I know to take the audio with a grain of salt; that is, I simply don't expect great fidelity from, say, a 25-year-old analog Japanese master--or the 20-year-old English dub of the same title, for that matter. If the disc is lucky enough to have lossless audio, I'm satisfied knowing that whatever is on the original master is (ostensibly) present. (As an aside, I love listening to restored soundtracks of old B/W Hollywood films--the pops and hum are gone, but the tinniness and lack of bass--all true to the recording technology of the day--is preserved.)

As for the "original Japanese 2.0" vs. "multi-channel dub remix" question on anime discs, I've certainly experienced some problematic 5.1 remixes, especially on DVD. However, for today's anime productions on Blu, I've grown quite accustomed to Sentai's 2.0 DTS-HD Japanese/English tracks, more so than I thought I would.

Disclosure: I've always been an audiophile to the (common sense) limits of my budget. My home system is 7.1, with all decoding done by the receiver. All speakers are wall-mounted to best advantage, given the room. And no, I won't be upgrading to Atmos. For the home, that's just very expensive overkill.

Shiflan wrote:
What I've learned over the years is that the quality of the hardware (preamp, amps, speakers, etc) is FAR more important than fancy "surround" setups or what encoding scheme is used on the disc.

Don't confuse adding extra channels with makinga anything "sound better". Some people think that, say, 7.1 must be "better" than 5.1 because hey, 7 is higher than 5! But that's far from true.

There is so much truth here, it's painful!
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Question for anyone who has more experience with a variety of audio setups...

I've thought for a long time that anime dubs sound way too "quiet". Like I frequently have trouble hearing the voices over the sound effects and BGM. For the longest time I figured this was just poor mixing on Funimation (the usual offender)'s part, but could it be from playing their 5.1 audio tracks over a 2 channel stereo? Or am I just nuts/going deaf?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3