• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kodansha Offers Prize for Correct Bakemonogatari Manga Artist Guesses

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
II remember asking someone if the original novels had something chaotic about the text on the pages that all the visual stuff in the anime (missing frames, impossible amounts of text on screen, settings that can go from normal to crazy stylized pretty much depending on what would look cool at the moment) is mimicking and I was told no, that's something Shaft added out of the blue.

I wonder if the manga will mirror the visual style of the anime or if it's solely from novel and will be more restrained.
WEEB_SLAYER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
maya miyazaki
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks kinda like Oh! Great... seems so different from the art style of the anime. I'm surprised it's only now getting a manga.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
II remember asking someone if the original novels had something chaotic about the text on the pages that all the visual stuff in the anime (missing frames, impossible amounts of text on screen, settings that can go from normal to crazy stylized pretty much depending on what would look cool at the moment) is mimicking and I was told no, that's something Shaft added out of the blue.

I wonder if the manga will mirror the visual style of the anime or if it's solely from novel and will be more restrained.

Here's a really bizarre piece of trivia about the visuals of the anime. The anime staff created Araragi's appearance. Despite being the main character he is never depicted in any of the artwork and because the books are almost all told from his perspective he never describes his own appearance.

It's just weird to think that the main characters appearance was created solely for the anime version.

I hope the manga follows the anime's lead in design for it's own sake. As interesting as the story is it is mostly just talking which is fine for a book but if you're turning into a visual medium like anime or manga you need incredible art direction to prevent it from becoming boring.

The anime did it very well but even if they don't follow it's Shaft style I hope they do something interesting visually.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Great is definitely known for visual excess, so he will probably go nuts with it.

I was definitely hoping he'd keep working with Maijo Otaro, though; Biorg Trinity has been far and away the best thing he's worked on, but maybe a little too weird to be a major hit.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I dunno I guess maybe Takeshi Obata
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
Takeshi Obata is my best guess
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
The art looks very familiar, Takeshi Obata is the first mangaka came to my mind, especially since he's been collaborating with Nisioisin before, but I have my doubt. Oh Great is a close one too.

I wonder if there's any other suggestions better than the two artists.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
At least offering a hint would help. If this could be called a trolling a tactic, it certainly is a big one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1