• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Violet Evergarden—Episodes 1-13 streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
A few typos:

"Ans" ?

"rather truly" should be "rather than truly".
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
It could definitely use a few more editor passes. This sentence in the intro completely confuses me:
"An orphan of war, Violet once knew nothing more than the orders of her adopted father and killed without a second thought."

Glad to know the story gets better. I ended up getting bored early on and not continuing. I'll have to return to it some time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crext

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Drama of the year (decade?), calling it right now.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This show was the definition of a mixed bag for me. Beautiful animation throughout - characters, backgrounds, effects, even the camera doesn't just stick to safe shots all the time. I liked how the world felt like a unique fantasy country, mixed with lots of different influences. Had a really soaring soundtrack, even if the show definitely didn't always know how to use it.

But I was just very hot and cold on the story itself. I was really invested in some individual stories, and thought they were told beautifully. Those focusing on the military backstory were another story. spoiler[The story beats and Violet's personal arc didn't really match up towards the end, which led to those conflicts and "villains" feeling a bit thrown in randomly. I had a hard time buying the leap in logic of her being a child soldier. No one bats an eye at her while in the war, when there's literally no other child soldiers, or even female soldiers, in the show. More importantly, the show makes a huge point about Violet needing to forgive herself for her sins during the war, but it also makes clear she was manipulated as a child to fight, not knowing what she was doing at age 10... Its hard to fully buy into the forgiveness angle knowing her age and upbringing ]

I really did not like the dub, and I'm generally pretty open on most dubs from the past 15 years or so. But the dubbing company, which also worked on Devilman: Crybaby, has usually disappointed me in some way (here, its more than a few miscasts). Its a shame another company didn't get to dub this, because despite my mixed feelings, it really deserves better.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I highly enjoyed this show and I'm glad it has a fair review. Lots of people dismissed it early on and people decided to not check it out or continue. So I hope others will take a look at it.
I agree with the negatives of the show but there are way more positives so they shouldn't be over shadowed, which I see people doing.

I went ahead and looked at the ending for the visual novels. I have a feeling they will adapt the ending, however EXTREME NOVEL SPOILERspoiler[ if they do, I feel they would/should make some changes because the major is alive, and willingly hides it. It feels like in the anime that everyone feels he is truly dead, so if/when he does turn up he should have memory loss or something. That way it won't feel so strange that he hid this from her.]
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna disagree pretty strongly with the review, particularly part like

Quote:
Violet quickly becomes the show's most compelling asset, as her compassion, vibrancy, and ultimate desire to live start waging war with her guilt, self-hatred, and other scars of war

Which do not at all reflect the actual Violet, unless quickly means "after episode 7 or so" which is a very strange definition of quickly in a 12 episodes show. Most of the show Violet was inconsistent (one week can't write a letter, next she's one of the best letter writer in the world) and her war guilt is something's that's literally absent from the show until it suddenly isn't (it's brought up earlier in the show by someone else that she should be guilty and her answer is literally no).

I wrote a lot about it in the "this week in anime" so I won't just repeat, but overall Violet evergarden is a beautiful show with the writing level of a daily soap opera. Whether you like it or not will be entirely dictated by your willingness to overlook major problems in favor of getting dramatic storyline.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It's a good series I won't deny that but with the level of effort they put into the animation plus the two years of waiting, it should have been Kyoani's greatest work yet, it just didn't reach that goal.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It could definitely use a few more editor passes. This sentence in the intro completely confuses me:
"An orphan of war, Violet once knew nothing more than the orders of her adopted father and killed without a second thought."

Glad to know the story gets better. I ended up getting bored early on and not continuing. I'll have to return to it some time.

I've corrected the typos in the first post, this sort of thing happens. The sentence in the intro seems fine to me, but I can add an "as" before the "an orphan" if it really seems confusing.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
"As" doesn't really solve much. I guess what's really unclear is how being a war orphan or the orders of an adopted father would lead her to kill without a second thought. And the whole sentence just runs together because of it.
Actually, unless there's something added in the Netflix translation, calling Gilbert her adoptive father is misleading in itself. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes two months ago and don't recall that that's how he was ever referred.

Something like this maybe?
Orphaned by a raging war, taken in by the military and put in the guardianship of a commanding officer, Violet only knew a life of killing without a second thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
My second favorite title of this season. Just after A Place Further than the Universe. Both of these shows set a high bar for 2018 to follow up to.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Actually, unless there's something added in the Netflix translation, calling Gilbert her adoptive father is misleading in itself. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes two months ago and don't recall that that's how he was ever referred.

Technically true, though I find it's safe to infer that this is the extent of the relationship. Gilbert always came across as protective of Violet and regretting using her to an end. I think he wanted to give her a happy life, but I consider that to be the extent of it. I don't think he ever had a chance to develop anything other than a father/daughter relationship.

Violet is a little more up in the air as she is a lot more emotionally repressed, and hasn't quite ironed out the nuances behind the emotion called Love. But eh, that's what the story revolves around.

-

On a whole other note, I watched the show dubbed and had a blast. My only real nitpick is that I find it hard to believe that Violet is 14 years old. It makes a lot more sense to me in retrospect. But nothing about her character design really makes me believe she's that young. She looked that age more so in the flashbacks with Gilbert than in present day.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
"As" doesn't really solve much. I guess what's really unclear is how being a war orphan or the orders of an adopted father would lead her to kill without a second thought. And the whole sentence just runs together because of it.

Something like this maybe?
Orphaned by a raging war, taken in by the military and put in the guardianship of a commanding officer, Violet only knew a life of killing without a second thought.

That's just a difference of opinion, I think. I'm not going to alter what the reviewer wrote to that extent, if what he intended to say is clear, and it seems to be. (From an editor's perspective, your sentence you wrote has poorer syntax, even if it contains more details, so I would prefer the existing version at a glance over your rewrite.)
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Violet Evergarden is a show of extreme highs and exhausting lows. But overall I felt it was a really solid series that will stand the test of time. I binged it all on Netflix and I got the impression that it’s definitely a show that is best watched in rapid succession. Whoever was keeping up with it weekly have my full respect and admiration.
wut

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Finally a review which properly explains what makes this series one of the best.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the weekly episodes of Violet Evergarden. The animation is beautiful, but hey what do you expect? Its KyoAni after all... I do wonder why they changed some stuff from the LN. Some episodes were truly masterpieces. Like the episode with the sick lady. Honestly i cant wait till the movie is released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2